Tips for hiring a photographer on Maui (probably) or Oahu (maybe) & Aulani Photopass (?)

DaeHyFoog

Let's all sing like the birdies sing...
My parents are going to be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, and they decided to take my siblings and our families to Hawaii with them this summer to celebrate. Woo-hoo! We'll be spending 6 nights on Maui (near Kihei), 6 nights on Oahu (Marriott Ko Olina), and then my immediate family will be tacking on 3 additional nights at Aulani.

My siblings and I decided we would like to hire a photographer to come and do family pictures with all of us as a gift to my parents. As I've been researching this, I've been having difficulty coming up with a good photographer who shoots groups as large as ours (15 people) for a reasonable price (1 to 2 hours for $800 to $1100 or so) who also allows us access/rights to the digital copies of the photos. My SIL would like to do these photos on Maui at the beginning of our trip so we don't have sunburns in the photos and because we have less must-do activities on Maui than Oahu.

I've got three thoughts floating around in my head that I would love advice about:

1) We could hire a local photographer directly. I've been looking on TripAdvisor, Yelp, and Google. There seems to be a lot more information about wedding photography rather than large group family shots. Also, trying to find out pricing and availability of the digital photos isn't always easy. I'm looking for a photographer that does a good job of balancing focusing on the people and focusing on the beauty of Hawaii. Has anyone hired a photographer on Maui that they would recommend? I would love some suggestions! Suggestions for Oahu would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

2) I've been looking into flytographer.com and wondered if anyone has used this service and has any thoughts/advice. Probably my biggest concern here would be that we aren't looking for a ton of candid shots. Some would be great, but we're more interested in making sure we get some good whole group shots so my parents can have a really nice family photo to hang on the wall. I would love any input you might have to share about this service even if you used it somewhere other than Hawaii.

3) This may just be a crazy idea, but my husband and I were wondering about using PhotoPass at Aulani to take care of this group photo. Since our whole group will be staying next door at the Marriott Ko Olina, would it be possible to walk over to Aulani one evening and get pictures taken there? Do you have to stay at Aulani to use the service? Also, since my immediate family will be staying there later on, could we purchase PP and use it early before our reservation begins? We love PhotoPass+ at DL and have used PP at WDW several times, but I can't quite wrap my head around the PP process at Aulani. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes time to share! Mahalo!!

You should contact Aulani and ask them. We have our vow renewal there in April, and got our photographer directly through them.

We looked into this a bit and having a short session (20 mins?) with an Aulani Photopass photographer was the most affordable option (though we didn't ask about rates for a larger group). We also considered Marella Photography who seems to do a lot in the Ko Olina area and they had affordable rates. We were able to get some good photos with Photopass but we noticed they had a lot fewer photographers around the resort than they did last year. There's usually a photographer by the beach around sunset, though the photos might end up having swimmers/other people in the background. Not sure how it works with non-guests. Good luck and have a great trip! :)

You should contact Aulani and ask them. We have our vow renewal there in April, and got our photographer directly through them.

This is a great idea for Oahu. Thanks!

We looked into this a bit and having a short session (20 mins?) with an Aulani Photopass photographer was the most affordable option (though we didn't ask about rates for a larger group). We also considered Marella Photography who seems to do a lot in the Ko Olina area and they had affordable rates. We were able to get some good photos with Photopass but we noticed they had a lot fewer photographers around the resort than they did last year. There's usually a photographer by the beach around sunset, though the photos might end up having swimmers/other people in the background. Not sure how it works with non-guests. Good luck and have a great trip! :)

It definitely sounds like I need to check out the Aulani Photopass option more thoroughly. Thanks, too, for the name of the photographer in Ko Olina. I really appreciate it.

I would contact the resort/hotel you are staying at on Maui. They should have the name of a photographer that they would recommend along with prices.

I contacted Aulani's photography services via email through the resort website and made reservations for our family photo session. I chose the longer, 40 minute session at sunset. There were only the four of us, so I don't know how it would be for a large group, but I loved our photos. Included in the $400 session were the digital images to all of the photos taken. We had just over 200 pictures. They were not touched up as a professional photographer might do, but I was extremely pleased with the results.

I contacted Aulani's photography services via email through the resort website and made reservations for our family photo session. I chose the longer, 40 minute session at sunset. There were only the four of us, so I don't know how it would be for a large group, but I loved our photos. Included in the $400 session were the digital images to all of the photos taken. We had just over 200 pictures. They were not touched up as a professional photographer might do, but I was extremely pleased with the results.
Oh yes, I am sooo doing this. Thanks so much for the info! (PS I'm a Bama girl too!!)

is there a site with info and pricing on this? we"ll be there for our 10 year anniversary and would love some photos!

Thanks for responding. I really wanted to hear from someone who has experience! This sounds like a very interesting option and one that I will definitely look into! Comparing to the private photographers I've researched, this actually sounds like a great deal.

Thanks for responding. I really wanted to hear from someone who has experience! This sounds like a very interesting option and one that I will definitely look into! Comparing to the private photographers I've researched, this actually sounds like a great deal.

We did the private photo shoot the last time we visited and plan to do it again when we visit this summer. We felt that it was great, the pictures turned out beautiful and are excited to do it again!

How far in advance did you contact them? I thought we did it several months ahead but I can't remember, its been a few years.

I don't remember exactly when I made the reservation. I believe it was about 4 months in advance. The sunset sessions are the most popular and book up first.
I'm sorry, was this for an upcoming trip or one you have taken? The reason I ask, I tried to book our sunset session and was told to contact them 3 months ahead, I know the last time I scheduled it further out. Just curious, TIA!

I'm sorry, was this for an upcoming trip or one you have taken? The reason I ask, I tried to book our sunset session and was told to contact them 3 months ahead, I know the last time I scheduled it further out. Just curious, TIA!
Good to know about 3 months ahead! When I called a couple of weeks ago, they told me 2 months in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter