tips for January 2012 visit?

A tip for dealing with CARRYING all those layers is to rent a locker. We normally have our warm gear on in the AM and as it warms up we stow it in a locker. Then, when it cools down again we get our warm stuff again.

Enjoy! We will be there from Jan 15 - 22.

We love hiring Breathless the 1930's style speed boat at the Y&B Club Marina, but we've heard she's out of action. Has anyone heard whether or not she's back on the water yet?

This will also be our first trip in January - so I appreciated reading all the helpful tips. Glad we're driving where we can load up the car with lots of options!! But am looking forward to the smaller crowds. And the way I look at, I'd rather it be 50 degrees than 100. (but I'm really hoping to avoid falling below freezing!!!!!)

Hope you have a great trip!

So long as it's dry and not wiindy I'm not at all bothered about the temperature. I'd rather have to wear loads of layers that be battling with torrential rain like on our last trip. I've been to Disneyland Paris where it was so cold, the lake froze over, it just made it seem extra special.

We ONLY go in January. Love it. You couldn't pay me enough to go in the hot, sticky, crowded summer months. (Well, maybe you could...) We usually go during the 3rd week in January. True, there are usually a couple of attractions closed for refurbishment--we have NEVER ridden Splash Mtn because of this. But the crowd levels are great.

Hi everybody, we are going Jan.26-Feb.4th staying at Wilderness Lodge. What about going by boat to MK? Is that a problem in the cold? We have gone in June (never again) March - cold and wet. Before transportation was by Disney buses. Thanks for any comments.

There are two types of boats that go to Wilderness. The large boat is mostly enclosed, so not a problem to be on the lake to MK. The smaller, wooden boats, while I truly love those the most, are quite breezy and a little chilly in Jan!
Fyi, don't forget your gloves, those little stretch knit ones are great and take up very little room.
Last Jan our flight home was canceled while we were outside waiting for our car, and we had to stay three extra days, how terrible is that???:rotfl:

My boyfriend and I are going in January for the first time, also. Thanks for the tips and suggestions! Is it really true that you really don't have to wait that long in line for the attractions? Are the crowd levels really that tolerable?

There are two types of boats that go to Wilderness. The large boat is mostly enclosed, so not a problem to be on the lake to MK. The smaller, wooden boats, while I truly love those the most, are quite breezy and a little chilly in Jan!
Fyi, don't forget your gloves, those little stretch knit ones are great and take up very little room.
Last Jan our flight home was canceled while we were outside waiting for our car, and we had to stay three extra days, how terrible is that???:rotfl:

Thanks for the info. I would have never thought of gloves.:flower3:

My boyfriend and I are going in January for the first time, also. Thanks for the tips and suggestions! Is it really true that you really don't have to wait that long in line for the attractions? Are the crowd levels really that tolerable?

The crowd levels are so great that last time we rode splash mountain 4 times in a row - never left our seats - just asked if we could stay on and we just kept going. I will tollerate some chilly mornings for that kind of crowd for sure. We love Jan/early Feb for that very reason.

I've just found out that Big Thunder Mountain is closed for refurb through January and into March. What am I going to do? :confused: It's my favourite ride in all the parks, the only one where I would actually run round and ride again, merrily throwing children over my shoulder to get to the front of the queue.;)

I would suggest an extra pair of gloves in case you get caught in the rain. The stretchy ones wer about $8 to buy at Disney. Also a shirt that can be used as a thermal shirt. When I went at the end of January '10, I wished I had a wind proof jacket instead of wind resistant. The resistant did let some wind through. My motto is bring extra clothes to keep warm, you can always take the extra items off. Enjoy your trip:yay:

Hi everybody, we are going Jan.26-Feb.4th staying at Wilderness Lodge. What about going by boat to MK? Is that a problem in the cold? We have gone in June (never again) March - cold and wet. Before transportation was by Disney buses. Thanks for any comments.

We have visited DisneyWorld in January the last 8 years. We love staying at the Wilderness Lodge. The boat ride is one of our favorite activities. Depending on the day, it may be a little chilly. However, you are wearing layers so it doesn' t matter.

January weather is hit or miss in Florida. If you pack stretch gloves, hat and layers you will be fine. I only bring one pair of shorts just in case. My husband wears shorts or jeans but I wear capris.

I also pack panchos if it rains. The one year Florida had snow. Crazy! We actually used the swimming pools alot that year. It was too cold to be at the parks when the sun went down. So we woke up early to visit the parks and swam at night. The pools are soooooo warm, except when you run from the pool to your room!

Let's hope for warm weather this year.

I can give you lots of tips on the Wilderness if you like.

Hope this helps,

Lisa G

The only attractions, in my opinion, that have longer lines are Toy Story Mania in DHS (no matter when you go, this one is ALWAYS crowded), Expedition Everest in AK, Soarin and Test Track in EPCOT and Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain in Magic Kingdom. You still can use the Fast Passes for even less wait. But it truly is worth it for me to endure a little cooler weather rather than have to wait in lines......We get to do so much more when we are there in January. We have gone the last 4 years in a row and wouldn't change it for anything! The crowds really are tolerable. Have fun! :goodvibes

Has anybody been to Disney's Wilderness Preserve? We hear it's less than 20 miles from WDW but we're not sure where it is. We'd like to possibly go there in January and would be grateful for any assistance about directions on how to get there.

www.booksaboutdisney.co.uk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter