Tips for LARGE family groups?

iheartdisney44

Mouseketeer
I am coordinating a multi-family trip for January of 2017. Wondering if any of you have any helpful tips/tricks when it comes to planning? Is there any way to get FP+ for all of us? Any tips for restaurant reservations? There are 19 of us total! Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance-

I believe you can call in for reservations of 10 or more people. Not sure with the FP+

Honestly I think you will get a lot more enjoyment on not trying to do everything together. One meal a day to meet up or start the day with would be all I would want (your family might be different). I would check with everyone first and find out what they are thinking - will save a lot of frustration later.

We are going in a few months and there will be 21 of us! So, I definitely understand your concerns and questions in getting everything organized for a smooth trip.

We had to call the Disney Dining phone number to book our ADR's and for all of them we had to book two separate reservations to accomodate the group. For example, one reservation for 10 at 6:20 and another one for 11 at 6:30. It seemed very difficult to get us to sit all together, but you may have an easier experience with this as we did not book exactly 180 days prior.

We have not yet made our Fast Pass selections but it looks like we are able to click on the people who would like to be included.

We have had a few "meetings" which were very helpful as well as various emails asking if people wanted to be included in ADR's or other activities. However, I do think it is critical that one or two people take the reigns and make decisions for others IF that's acceptable with your group. Of course, if your group has strong opinions or have must do's, then including them more will be important. My sister in law and I are the only ones who have been to WDW before and we made the decision to schedule which parks to visit on which days, and will ultimately pick the Fast Passes.

Another tip is to make a table or spread sheet that can be sent via email or Google Drive and that includes the day by day schedule of events, hotel info, rental car info, etc. When we have one of our meetings, everyone gets an updated copy. I am hoping that with this document people have an idea of what is to be expected instead of me feeling like the perpetual travel agent who is constantly being asked, "what are we doing?", "where are we going?" , "what time do we eat?". :hyper2:

Our group will also go on a cruise after WDW where another 13 people will be joining us!!!

I'm planning a trip for a group of 12 for just after Thanksgiving. It's too early for us to book dining but this is what I've done thus far.

1. Have everyone book their own accommodations. I told them where my family is booked and few are staying where we are (AKL - Kidani Village) and others are staying at various places in Disney World. It's just easier that way with everyone's budget.

2. I'm planning on sending out a monthly email of what's to come. Our first big thing is dining. Each family is going to pick a place they want to try or a place they like (for those that have been), and the rest of the ADR's will be filled my me.

3. After our ADR's are booked, I'll start compiling our daily itinerary. My family arrives a few days before the others so I'll be settled in when they arrive.

4. FP's will be done on their own terms. My main goal was to spend a meal together each day, and then whatever folks want to do during the day is up to them. I think one evening we'll do an adult meal and have my younger sister babysit the kiddos.

Everything else is up in the air. I don't want to plan every minute but I want some sort of an idea of what's to come so folks can plan their days.

Again, I've never planned a Disney trip for this many people so this may all be a complete fail but this isn't my first rodeo so I have high hopes! :)

We are going in a few months and there will be 21 of us! So, I definitely understand your concerns and questions in getting everything organized for a smooth trip.

We had to call the Disney Dining phone number to book our ADR's and for all of them we had to book two separate reservations to accomodate the group. For example, one reservation for 10 at 6:20 and another one for 11 at 6:30. It seemed very difficult to get us to sit all together, but you may have an easier experience with this as we did not book exactly 180 days prior.

We have not yet made our Fast Pass selections but it looks like we are able to click on the people who would like to be included.

We have had a few "meetings" which were very helpful as well as various emails asking if people wanted to be included in ADR's or other activities. However, I do think it is critical that one or two people take the reigns and make decisions for others IF that's acceptable with your group. Of course, if your group has strong opinions or have must do's, then including them more will be important. My sister in law and I are the only ones who have been to WDW before and we made the decision to schedule which parks to visit on which days, and will ultimately pick the Fast Passes.

Another tip is to make a table or spread sheet that can be sent via email or Google Drive and that includes the day by day schedule of events, hotel info, rental car info, etc. When we have one of our meetings, everyone gets an updated copy. I am hoping that with this document people have an idea of what is to be expected instead of me feeling like the perpetual travel agent who is constantly being asked, "what are we doing?", "where are we going?" , "what time do we eat?". :hyper2:

Our group will also go on a cruise after WDW where another 13 people will be joining us!!!
Thanks for the helpful tips! I sent out an email today to gather everyones preferences and "must do's"
I didn't think to call the number directly for ADR's!
Thanks for the help!

I planned a trip for 14 this past summer. I did not have to call for reservations. I was able to make them through MDE. Make them at 180 if you can. More selection. Do not try to manage everyone's FP+. It will only lead to trouble. If there are a couple you want to do together do that but don't try to spend every waking moment together. We would pick a park we would go to. Decide if we were eating a meal together and pretty much that was it. We came together and separated throughout the day/week.

I also made ADRs for 14 people online for my family's big trip this summer. I made all the FP+ at one time, too, and focused on getting the "must do" FP+ attractions at each park. So, for example, we had 14 people signed up to meet Anna and Elsa one day, and 14 people signed up for Toy Story Mania the next afternoon. After I made the initial plans, some people went back and changed the FP to suit their personal tastes. Especially the teen-aged boys.

I'm planning a trip for a group of 12 for just after Thanksgiving. It's too early for us to book dining but this is what I've done thus far.

1. Have everyone book their own accommodations. I told them where my family is booked and few are staying where we are (AKL - Kidani Village) and others are staying at various places in Disney World. It's just easier that way with everyone's budget.

2. I'm planning on sending out a monthly email of what's to come. Our first big thing is dining. Each family is going to pick a place they want to try or a place they like (for those that have been), and the rest of the ADR's will be filled my me.

3. After our ADR's are booked, I'll start compiling our daily itinerary. My family arrives a few days before the others so I'll be settled in when they arrive.

4. FP's will be done on their own terms. My main goal was to spend a meal together each day, and then whatever folks want to do during the day is up to them. I think one evening we'll do an adult meal and have my younger sister babysit the kiddos.

Everything else is up in the air. I don't want to plan every minute but I want some sort of an idea of what's to come so folks can plan their days.

Again, I've never planned a Disney trip for this many people so this may all be a complete fail but this isn't my first rodeo so I have high hopes! :)
I totally agree that over-planning can ruin a vacation real fast! Thanks for your advice!

When you have a big group you. Pay 18% service or tax fee with dinning.

Realize that being separate all day and regrouping for dinner might be best.

My advice - don't do it!!! ;)

Traveling around WDW as a huge group is very frustrating, IMO. Maybe think about meeting up once per day for a meal or pool time, but spend most of your park time going in smaller groups. Otherwise you'll be spending more time waiting for the others to catch up, use the restrooms, etc, than anything else.

I have to agree. From the start have been very laid back abut reservations. We are going in a few months and will have around 16 people! It will include my family; me, DH, 2 DD's (2 & 8), grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. I would like to spend as much time with everyone as they want but I don't want to drive myself crazy with planning everything for everyone. Ive planned for my family and updated everyone else on where and when.

Now we are up to 21! After a lot of thinking and good advice, I think I have come up with a strategy. Here is what I have done so far and hopefully it will be helpful for others who may be traveling with a large group!
I made myself the trip coordinator ;) and asked everyone to communicate through me so we can stay on the same page. I will then create a spreadsheet for everyone with travel arrangements, reservation #'s, etc, for those not as familiar with MDE.
We were able to all stay at the same resort, SSR, using our DVC points so that was pretty easy to accomplish online.
I emailed everyone and asked for them to respond with their "must-do's" while at Disney. I also asked for their top 3 restaurants they'd like to go to. I will keep a list of who wants to go to which restaurants and make reservations at 180 days.

It is not my intention to have everyone hang out together all day long or try to coordinate FP for 21 people at the same times! Each group/family will make FP for themselves and I am sure we will coordinate some together so we can hang out with a bunch of different people! We will just plan on going to the same parks on the same days and "to each his own" from there.
I think we will try to do a spa day for some of the girls and a fishing excursion for some of the boys!
So far, it has been fun, although I do love to plan for Disney!
Now I will keep looking for matching Disney t-shirts ;)

Two years ago I planned a trip for 16. We were all saying on DVC points at AKL, so that was pretty easy. I took care of linking everyone's MDE account so all our memory maker photos would go into the right place. We had a couple of meetings where everyone discussed what ADRs we wanted to make, and I made the ADRs for the entire party for our group meals. I also put together general touring plans and took care of all the FP+ reservations, as I was the only person in our party familiar with the new system. Once we got to the parks, we loosely followed the plans, and anyone was free to break off into sub groups on their own if they wanted to.

Two years ago I planned a trip for 16. We were all saying on DVC points at AKL, so that was pretty easy. I took care of linking everyone's MDE account so all our memory maker photos would go into the right place. We had a couple of meetings where everyone discussed what ADRs we wanted to make, and I made the ADRs for the entire party for our group meals. I also put together general touring plans and took care of all the FP+ reservations, as I was the only person in our party familiar with the new system. Once we got to the parks, we loosely followed the plans, and anyone was free to break off into sub groups on their own if they wanted to.
Is it possible to have all 21 people on MDE? We have 9 kids on this trip and I have been wrestling with the idea of trying to make FP+ for everyone vs each family doing their own. How did it work for you?

Is it possible to have all 21 people on MDE? We have 9 kids on this trip and I have been wrestling with the idea of trying to make FP+ for everyone vs each family doing their own. How did it work for you?
I've told my traveling party, they are responsible for their FP's! If folks want to change them around while we're there is fine. But, its feels too much like micro managing to plan FP's for those outside of my immediate family.

Can someone tell me how to do my profile picture? I can't figure it out.. still new to dis boards

I am coordinating a multi-family trip for January of 2017. Wondering if any of you have any helpful tips/tricks when it comes to planning? Is there any way to get FP+ for all of us? Any tips for restaurant reservations? There are 19 of us total! Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance-

This is my Disney Expertise! Let me just say that my mother is a DVC member who banks/borrows to be able to bring all the extended fams ( me/brother and our respective families, my cousins and their families ). We typically travel from anywhere between 16-19 people. ( one year, we were 25 ). And though she is the official member, she gets me to do ALL the planning.

With that said:

FP+ for all of you? DEFINITELY. **HOWEVER** What I would do is make a plan with your group for a few attractions you all want to ride together. The FP+ system will force you to pick all 3 in each park, and that's fine. Make sure you have the ones you all want to ride together and THEN let each individual group pick and choose/change the others on their own DME.

Speaking of Groups... I can't recommend enough the idea of splitting up. The first year we did a big family trip ( 2002 ), we were 12 and tried to stick together the WHOLE time... it was painful... bathroom stops every 20 minutes because someone didn't need to go before. Multiple stops for ice cream, because someone didn't want one before... blocking up walkways trying to decide on next stops.

What I would do, as mentioned with the FP+ tip, is have some meet-up spots. Do a few things together as previously decided then let everyone go on their way.

Tips for restaurants, **** CALL AHEAD ****. If you know where you want to eat, call as far in advance as possible. all 180 days if you can. seating 19 is NOT EASY but most restaurants can accomodate. If they can't really far ahead, here's a great tip. Consider TWO (or more ) reservations for the group, but then the day of, go to the restaurant EARLY ( like beginning of dinner service ) and let them know you are all together. This often allows them to plan for it, and get all your tables seated together.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

This is my Disney Expertise! Let me just say that my mother is a DVC member who banks/borrows to be able to bring all the extended fams ( me/brother and our respective families, my cousins and their families ). We typically travel from anywhere between 16-19 people. ( one year, we were 25 ). And though she is the official member, she gets me to do ALL the planning.

With that said:

FP+ for all of you? DEFINITELY. **HOWEVER** What I would do is make a plan with your group for a few attractions you all want to ride together. The FP+ system will force you to pick all 3 in each park, and that's fine. Make sure you have the ones you all want to ride together and THEN let each individual group pick and choose/change the others on their own DME.

Speaking of Groups... I can't recommend enough the idea of splitting up. The first year we did a big family trip ( 2002 ), we were 12 and tried to stick together the WHOLE time... it was painful... bathroom stops every 20 minutes because someone didn't need to go before. Multiple stops for ice cream, because someone didn't want one before... blocking up walkways trying to decide on next stops.

What I would do, as mentioned with the FP+ tip, is have some meet-up spots. Do a few things together as previously decided then let everyone go on their way.

Tips for restaurants, **** CALL AHEAD ****. If you know where you want to eat, call as far in advance as possible. all 180 days if you can. seating 19 is NOT EASY but most restaurants can accomodate. If they can't really far ahead, here's a great tip. Consider TWO (or more ) reservations for the group, but then the day of, go to the restaurant EARLY ( like beginning of dinner service ) and let them know you are all together. This often allows them to plan for it, and get all your tables seated together.

Feel free to PM me for more info.
THANK YOU! This is so very helpful and I'm glad I'm not the only one who plans for large groups! I have a very large immediate family so I'm used to planning for 10-14 but I'm now up to 21 with this trip and it's getting a little intimidating, even for me! I will keep you in mind if I have more questions and thanks for your willingness to be of help!

Just wondering if you have all 21 on MDE and if that includes children in different families? I like the idea of everyone managing their own FP+ but I also like the idea of mixing up the groups a bit, especially since some of us have young kids, some have teenagers, and some are just adults. This way I could get my little kids on the same FP+ with my sister's young kids. Does this make sense? It did in my head :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter