Tips for newly potty trained kid

For auto flush toilets... get a package of sticky notes and put one over the sensor when your kid needs to go. It won't help for the toilets around you, but you won't have to worry about your kid's toilet flushing randomly. And grabbing napkins to use in place of the blow dryers is helpful if those are too loud for your kids.

Signed - Mom of child who was terrified of public restrooms.

Definitely get used to "magic" flushing potties before you go. The baby care center the last time we used them years ago, had regular flushing toilets. Our daughter had been fully trained for over 6 months but after the first automatic flush, she refused to go in any bathroom, even the baby center, the rest of the trip. We bought pull ups, she used them, and we enjoyed our trip. Once we got home, she was fully trained again, no accidents. We went again a year later when she had just turned 4 and she was fine with the "magic" potties. Go figure!

Our son potty trained over the summer but I’m worried about accidents in Disney due to distractions or being in a long line. Any tips for navigating potty time in Disney with a toddler?

If you have ANY doubts or concerns please use a pull-up. We had a morning ruined when a child in the Boneyard at AKL peed all the way down the slide and my son was behind him accidentally wiping it up.

1. The other mom laughed and said “good thing we have extra clothes, this happens every day”
2. My two year old got upset thinking he had had an accident, which of course he had not.
3. DS was very potty trained so we did not have extra clothes
3. Not a single shop in AK sells size 2 shorts or pants or underpants.

Please do not be THAT parent. An accident might not just ruin your day - it might ruin someone else’s day who certainly doesn’t deserve it.

We took my daughter when she had been potty trained for a solid year. She was terrified of the automatic flushing toilets (even though they never flushed with her on them, they were loud in other stalls), had accidents, wouldn't poop, pooped her pants, peed all over us several times, etc, etc, etc. Take a few pull-ups just in case. Once we gave in and put them on her we were all a lot happier (we had brought them for overnights figuring she'd be so exhausted she may need them). On the plane, I recommend them too, because if there's turbulence and you're stuck in the seat, well, you may be in trouble. :) It wasn't regressing at all for my daughter- we just explained that she needed special undies for the trip and made it part of what we told her all along. She had never used pull-ups prior to potty training so to her they really were special undies.

If you have ANY doubts or concerns please use a pull-up. We had a morning ruined when a child in the Boneyard at AKL peed all the way down the slide and my son was behind him accidentally wiping it up.

1. The other mom laughed and said “good thing we have extra clothes, this happens every day”
2. My two year old got upset thinking he had had an accident, which of course he had not.
3. DS was very potty trained so we did not have extra clothes
3. Not a single shop in AK sells size 2 shorts or pants or underpants.

Please do not be THAT parent. An accident might not just ruin your day - it might ruin someone else’s day who certainly doesn’t deserve it.

Seriously? That’s terrible. And who wants to change their kid’s wet clothes all the time? Just use a pull-up or diaper until they’re ready, for crying out loud.

I will say that my son is reliably potty trained, but I do still pack extra clothes, especially if I think he might get really dirty or if we are going to be eating. He’s way more reliable with the toilet than he is with a fork!

We have been through this with three kids.

The one thing I would 100% recommend is pull-ups on the airplane for kids with any suspect potty training. Our first trip do Disney with DD1 at 4, she fell asleep and couldn't hold it when she woke up needing to pee(obviously at home she was used to being able to go immediately after waking up). You can bet we had her wear a pull-up on the way back(she was fine with it, the accident was far more embarrassing than wearing a pull-up for a day)

DD2(at 6) had her first accident in years on the bus ride back to our hotel at night. I would never consider putting her in a pull-up, but the point is Disney(and travel in general) can result in problems here, so its best to be prepared with extra clothes.

Lots of tips already!

For our second daughter, we did what many others have said on this thread.
We went to WDW when she was just over 2, and she was daytime trained (still wore a pull up at night, because I didn’t want to deal with random wet sheets).

We did use pull ups on the trip, including the flight there. I just didn’t want her to get stuck on a flight or in a line when she had to pee.
We also had the rule that if we went to the bathroom, everyone has to go. We actually used that on our most recent trip (kids were 4, 7, 9) too.

We always went before and after meal breaks.

We did have to leave one ride line if I recall, to make an emergency bathroom break. It was voyage of the little Mermaid, and the worst part, was trying to get back in line to meet up with the rest of our family.

ETA at 2-3, their bodies are so small, they also trigger the auto flush toilets randomly, which was scary. I would use a little piece of toilet paper (or my hand) to cover the sensor when they used the toilet.

Honestly, she did amazing, and there were zero accidents during our trip.

Last edited:

Two of our daughters were in the middle of potty training when we went. I took a roll of stickers and we stopped at a restroom every 1/2 hour. If they went we would let them pick another sticker. By the end of the day their shirts were covered but we had no accidents. With one of our girls by the third day we no longer need the stickers as she would pull us towards any bathroom she saw. I'd take an extra set of clothes just in case. Accidents happen no big deal. Have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter