Tips for seeing fireworks

kellymouse

Earning My Ears
Our kids have been to DL several times, but they are too tired or the fireworks are canceled on nights we plan on seeing them. This Summer, I want to make sure that we see them, and get the best possible seats for them since my youngest has never seen them and my daughter hasn't seen them in years. Can you please give me advice on what exactly to do? Is it nescessary to bring a blanket to mark your territory? Is the middle of the castle the best spot? We will be there mid July.
TIA!

There really isn't any seating for fireworks. Since they now have a night parade running right up until before the fireworks you can only save a seat for the parade on the curb for limited time and them you'd have to move into the street before fireworks. If you are in the stores on Main St before the parade ends you could always exit and move into the street as the parade passes.

We were at DL last week and saw the fireworks from right in front of It's A Small World. Cast members said that you can see 90% of the fireworks from there. The projections they do on the castle also get displayed on IASW. We really enjoyed it. We also wanted to see the Main Street Electrical Parade, so we got a spot around 7:45 pm near IASW. 1 of us took the kids on IASW while the other adult stayed behind to keep our spot. A lightweight blanket works well for that so others don't crouch in on your space. But you don't HAVE to bring a blanket. You could use back packs, park bags, shopping bags, etc. to save your spot...along with whoever is staying there stretching their legs out and taking up as much space as possible.

If you don't care about the parade, stake out a spot in front of the castle (vastly superior to IaSW, IMHO) when they put the rope up. Yes, you can use a blanket to delineate your area, but be aware that they'll only let you do that for a limited time before they make you stand up to fill in the crowd. Last Labor Day weekend (the last weekend for the Disneyland: Forever 60th Anniversary fireworks), we stood for a solid hour before the fireworks started. Which wasn't too much fun for my 52" tall daughter.

You can't use a blanket in the street, only on the curb. By the time the parade passes the hub, the blanket would have to be up. I think you'd have a hard time holding that much space on the Fronterland/Adventureland side of the hub during the parade. People would just kick your blanket up or stand on it.

I've never had good luck getting a good spot for fireworks until last time we went. Usually they get canceled or we don't get near the castle early enough to get a spot or end up with a bad view with trees in the way. We got super lucky last month. It was about 20 minutes before they were to start and we were walking from Frontierland toward the hub. Just as we got to the sidewalk, a CM stopped us and put up a rope. So we ended up in the front row with a great view, I was so happy!!!! I never knew they used the fireworks in the story and went through the different lands and rides, it was amazing. Haunted mansion part with stretching room was my fave. Anyway, I think unless you plan on camping out for a long time, it's just a matter of luck because people can move in front of you or trees get in the way.

We got a spot in the street right front of the castle about 35-40 minutes before MSEP over Memorial Day weekend. Took our Red Wagon corn dogs over there and ate dinner while waiting. Everyone was sitting on the ground. We also had a pretty good view for MSEP as it came into the hub. A few minutes after MSEP had fully exited the hub they started asking people to stand up. It was by far the best fireworks spot I've ever had. So of course the fireworks were then cancelled due to winds. They initially ran the "a final decision has not been made" message a couple times. Then at 9:35pm announced they were cancelled but still played the sound track and projections on the castle. Sounds like you are already aware of the firework cancellation potential so I think my point is mostly to start trying to see them early in your trip in case they get cancelled.

Remember that fireworks to get cancelled. Before you invest a lot of time to a spot, be warned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter