Tips on capturing the moment....

Gupsmom

<font color=009999>The Tag Fairy works in mysterio
I'd like to hear opinions and advice on how to capture the moment on camera and video. This is the first Disney trip for my 3 kids (5, 3 3/4, 2). There is something so magical about your first trip to Disney....especially at a young age. I want to get some great pictures and video that we can enjoy watching for years.

Here's the problem....I don't want to sacrifice the trip to save it on film. In other words, I don't want to watch my kids enjoy Disney through the lens of a camera. How do I draw that line.

Anyone have any great photo op's they want to share? Or any advice on what rides/attractions are fun to watch later on video?

Jess:bounce:

We took our first trip last halloween. At one point on the trip I realized I was talking too much film.

Some of our best shots:
Kids seeing the parades for the first time, both video and stills.
Kids playing in the pool.
Kids playing at Tom Saywers Island.
Kids posing with the characters.

Most of our good shots were taken while we were relaxing or when we knew that the kids were about to see something cool.

You are so wise not to try to catch it all on video, I watched a man video tape all of the Spectro parade at MK, never once looking up from his viewfinder.... what a shame!

Now saying that I did take 5 rolls of film on our trip last week. Many kid with character shots because thats what they like. Also infront of their favorite rides or on them. At the pool and like jdads2 said the kids faces during a parade to catch their wonder and happiness.

We took advice from this board and had one of those park enterance photos done at Epcot, it was really cute with Spaceship Earth in the background. It cost $12.95 for one 5x7 but it was a good family photo. We also asked several CMs to take family shots for us.

I did not try to take any photos during Fantasmic or Illuminations, I just savored the moment while I had my arm around my son. :)

Here is a great device I found for those interested in capturing digital video and images, but particularly pictures. It is called a digital wallet and the smallest size stores over 2,000 pictures! You just use your camera's memory card, and when it is full, you download the pictures into the digital wallet and keep using the same card over and over again.

Now, this is what makes it awesome: The digital wallet is a small, portable unit that runs on rechargeable batteries, fits in your camcorder bag (so you could even empty your memory card in the parks) and you only need one memory card, no need to buy many of them. If you go to their website, minds@work.net (or .com) you will find outrageous prices but I bought mine for under $160.00 on ebay. Meaning, for that price, I could store over 2,000 digital pictures! It would take me a lot of moolah to buy cards that fit that many images...

Then when you get home, you download all the images into your computer and do whatever you want. The wallet merely provides a way for you to store stuff when you travel, no need to bring a laptop along anymore! I think it also works with music files, etc. It is basically a portable, pocket HD.

So, consider reading more about this if you are concerned about the cost of digital memory cards and are looking for reasonable alternatives to "capture the moment"

Wanda

I'm one of those that always have the camera in hand - so i don't miss the kids in action..
In Jan I only used 7 rolls of film. That's not very much for me..

Anyways, gifts of a lifetime has where someone will follow you around taking pictures for you.
I have always wanted to do this, but haven't yet.. It's priceY!

I love the pictures I have of the kids watching parades (have to stop shooting pictures of the parade itself!) - and I love taking pictures of the kids in the same spot or position each time we visit - its fun to watch them 'grow up' in the photos- one of our favorites is shooting towards Spaceship Earth from Japan and lining it up to look like they're holding the ball in their hands - another is DS standing next to the large wooden troll in the Norway gift shop (it used to be taller than him) - you get the drift - also love my collection of silhouettes over the years - always get one done of each child (they come as doubles, so I have put the 2nds away for them).

Include pictures of the preparations for the trip: packing, loading the car, at the airport or in the car, checking in the hotel, the kids sleeping or napping. In Epcot, our favorite was to pick a similar spot in each country and take a snapshot. My dh tried on a hat from each country. My favorite pics were the ones i snapped of the kids on the rides--I got on a different teacup and snapped them spinning around (of course the lights were kind of blurry but it looked like I planned it!). I was also on the rocket behind my niece on the Astrorbitor (whatever! right by space mountain) and yelled at her to look at me--great picture. Have the kids pose in front of their favorite ride (or ride signs).
The scrapbooking forum has great tips on taking great pictures, important even if you are not making a scrapbook. I went to mousememories.com and wdwig.com and got great ideas.

only bring the camera some days and tap on those days - you will realize if you taping too much

some advice i can give you is to not tape shows!!!!!! when watching the videos years later and after seeing the shows so many times you just want to fast foward them - tape more of your kids! - have fun!

On our first trip I took 24 rolls of pictures and recorded two video tapes. I do not reget it at all!!!!! We were there 9 days and out of the 24 rolls probably only half are really great pictures but my kids love to look at the albums!!! We videod shows and parades only.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter