• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tips on going to Disney World without parents?

emilyw

Earning My Ears
Hi!

Although I've known about this forum for a while now, I just decided to make my account today, so here's my first thread :)

Since I like Disney so much, I decided to start planning an after-high-school trip to Disney World with just my friends (no parents). Most of the planning is going to me on me. The trip is going to take place the summer of 2016. About half of us are going to be 18 and the other half, 17.

There are going to be 8 of us (two rooms) and we're planning to stay at Pop Century.

Has anybody else done this sort of thing before? Any tips/suggestions? I still have 2 years to to go, but I get so excited just thinking about it.

Just be careful/safe. Based on your location I'm going to assume you're flying (which of course is way more expensive but much safer).

The only tips I have is to not go anywhere by yourself, stay in groups or pairs and try to be prepared for everything (somebody getting sick, somebody getting hurt, things like that)

I hope your trip is fun and everything works out. My friends and I planned to go to Disney this summer after we graduate, but things changed and now one of is going to start college over the summer and the rest of us fell under the enchantment of "Senior Week" so we'll be at the beach with the rest of NC/SC's high school senior population the week after graduation.

Not to be a buzkill, but I'd check with the resorts to make sure you can check in at 18. A lot of hotels require someone over 21 to be present in each room or at the very least at check in and staying in one of the rooms.

Not to be a buzkill, but I'd check with the resorts to make sure you can check in at 18. A lot of hotels require someone over 21 to be present in each room or at the very least at check in and staying in one of the rooms.

If you stay on Disney property you have to be at least 18. If there's at least one adult 18+ staying in the room you're fine.

Yeah, we were aware of the 18+ room thing, there will be at least 1 person that is 18 in each room, that's why I brought the ages up in my first post :)

Just stayed at Pop myself (checked out 11am today!) :( but I'm 18 and checked in fine. No problems :)

Welcome to the boards! :earsboy:

I'd love to just go with friends, that sounds really fun. WDW is really safe too, so that's a good choice. Back in 2010, my parents met up with two families. They let the kids roam on their own. It was a lot more fun personally. I'd just educate your friends a little on Disney, and make sure you find out what everyone wants to do so no one is disappointed.

Thank you!

I'm fortunate enough to have parents who think Disney is safe enough. This past summer, they let me roam around Downtown Disney by myself and meet up with my friend who was also there at the same time. They just slept in Art of Animation the whole time (they were super tired).

I've gone through the basics of Disney Parks with my friends but they're still not quite getting the hang of understanding FP+ lol :)

Thank you!

I'm fortunate enough to have parents who think Disney is safe enough. This past summer, they let me roam around Downtown Disney by myself and meet up with my friend who was also there at the same time. They just slept in Art of Animation the whole time (they were super tired).

I've gone through the basics of Disney Parks with my friends but they're still not quite getting the hang of understanding FP+ lol :)

FP+ is difficult in a sense for those who have been used to the old system for so many years. It didn't take long to catch on, but I do miss the old way. I don't like planning my vacation, I like to get there and do what I feel like doing that day..
I like being spontaneous. It's a good thing for those families who are going on their first trip and need that guidance, but the older ones who have been multiple times need to get use to it.

A lot of them haven't been to a Disney park before. But I agree, I don't really like FP+. I understand why there needs to be a limit, but I'm not a big fan of how there has to be a maximum of 3 a day. We used to be able to get so much more :(

A lot of them haven't been to a Disney park before. But I agree, I don't really like FP+. I understand why there needs to be a limit, but I'm not a big fan of how there has to be a maximum of 3 a day. We used to be able to get so much more :(

At first you could get any fast pass whether you had one pending or not, then they changed it to you could only get a fast pass after your time on the current one has passed.. now you have to wait until la specific window (without and leeway) to get on the ride.. I mean I see where Disney is going with the advancement, but it's a hassle at times

Hi!

Although I've known about this forum for a while now, I just decided to make my account today, so here's my first thread :)

Since I like Disney so much, I decided to start planning an after-high-school trip to Disney World with just my friends (no parents). Most of the planning is going to me on me. The trip is going to take place the summer of 2016. About half of us are going to be 18 and the other half, 17.

There are going to be 8 of us (two rooms) and we're planning to stay at Pop Century.

Has anybody else done this sort of thing before? Any tips/suggestions? I still have 2 years to to go, but I get so excited just thinking about it.

Well if it was me, and I was younger.
I'd make sure I have a way to contact them in emergencies.
I'd make sure the friends I'm going with know what we're doing, and I'd make sure we have a plan! and if any of us get lost, have a set location of where you'll meet up!

Always be safe and careful, and learn your surroundings. And just go up to a character and ask for help if you're a little lost :)

And try not to spend all your money in one day hah!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter