Tips on what to bring on a Disney Cruise

maui2k5

DIS Veteran
It’s been 5 years since we (wife, daughters 11,12) last cruised with Disney. We are leaving for a 4 night cruise on the Disney Wonder Dec 3rd out of Galveston.

What do you all usually bring along that is maybe not so commonly packed? Any other packing tips?

Thanks!

It’s been 5 years since we (wife, daughters 11,12) last cruised with Disney. We are leaving for a 4 night cruise on the Disney Wonder Dec 3rd out of Galveston.

What do you all usually bring along that is maybe not so commonly packed? Any other packing tips?

Thanks!
I always bring a stateroom door magnet from Etsy, the kind that center around the porthole-style room number, to create a Disney character on the door. A lot of people use stateroom door magnets, but far from everyone. I like the whimsy that it adds to the stateroom, and it also makes our stateroom easier to identify.

I also bring a pop-up laundry hamper to place in the closet, and a sturdy plastic bag to put damp swimsuits in for the return flight, in case they aren't dry by that time (dryers aren't good for swimsuits). I enjoy an evening dip in the hot tub the night before debarkation, so the bag usually comes in handy and keeps our other items in the suitcase dry. I take it off the ship in the carry-on bag, so that I can dry the bathing suits out as much as possible overnight before debarkation.

Last edited:
I always bring a stateroom door magnet from Etsy, the kind that center around the porthole-style room number, to create a Disney character on the door. A lot of people use stateroom door magnets, but far from everyone. I like the whimsy that it adds to the stateroom, and it also makes our stateroom easier to identify.

I also bring a pop-up laundry hamper to place in the closet, and a sturdy plastic bag to put damp swimsuits in for the return flight, in case they aren't dry by that time (dryers aren't good for swimsuits). I enjoy an evening dip in the hot tub the night before debarkation, so the bag usually comes in handy and keeps our other items in the suitcase dry. I take it off the ship in the carry-on bag, so that I can dry the bathing suits out as much as possible overnight before debarkation.
Their cruise is later this week so probably too late to get an etsy order delivered , but you can buy a digital download from etsy and then buts some magnetic printer paper and make your own printed magnets. That’s what we did and it worked out great.

The main thing to bring is a pirate costume if you want to participate in pirate night dress-up and not pay an arm and a leg for the costumes on the ship. Amazon has a lot of cheap ones you can get delivered before you go if you have prime. Also, since it is a merrytime cruise, you may want to bring a holiday sweater for festive family photos with the characters.

Reef safe sunscreen is also something I always bring if you have castaway cay or another beach stop.

Finally a water proof phone case is great, especially now that you need to use the app so much. That way I can take my phone on the pool deck or satellite falls or even the aquaduck.

We bring magnetic hooks. They stick to the ceiling. We used them to hang, masks, hats, lanyards, husbands cpap mask, any thing we can. keeps the room neater.

We have door magnets from our previous cruises so we are good there. Do they have pirate night on the shorter cruises (4 nights) during Christmas time? That we are not prepared for.

We have door magnets from our previous cruises so we are good there. Do they have pirate night on the shorter cruises (4 nights) during Christmas time? That we are not prepared for.
I thought they prohibited magnets because it was taking the paint off the stateroom doors?

I thought they prohibited magnets because it was taking the paint off the stateroom doors?

Magnets are ok. TAPE is what is not allowed.

That said, magnets have been known to travel, so I'd never depend on a magnet for finding my stateroom - or spend too much (if any) money on one.

You can't go wrong with different size zip lock bags--especially gallon bags! I guarantee you will use at least 2.

Magnets are allowed. How long has it been since you cruised? They're all over the place on stateroom doors.
Just going on what other's have posted here in the past. Door magnets weren't a thing when I cruised Disney.

I think this is common here on thee boards but for a cruise as opposed to a regular hotel stay we always bring a shoe holder. We found one years ago with a hanger, not the over the door type, so we hang it on the hook outside the bathroom.

I think this is common here on thee boards but for a cruise as opposed to a regular hotel stay we always bring a shoe holder. We found one years ago with a hanger, not the over the door type, so we hang it on the hook outside the bathroom.

This is KEY. I'm always solo, so I don't need to carry all this extra stuff, but if you do, it CANNOT be put over the door. That is banned as well because of the damage it causes to the door AND the frame.

Good point. They do have a very sturdy wall hook in the stateroom that you can hang things from.

An extra card for the light card switch (Fantasy and Dream) any old gift card or hotel card will work.
You need a card to activate the lights in the cabin. It’s nice to have an extra card so you don’t have to take it out of your lanyard or wallet

Do you put anything special on the magnet itself so it's easier to take off the door, or is that a non-issue?

Travel foamer soap dispensers for my bathroom. I may be alone on this, but bar hand soap annoys me. Castile soap and water work great to fill it.

Air freshener. Specifically I took one of the plastic car ones for the vent you can refill and glued a magnet to the back. I put it on the metal ceiling where the air comes through and the room is always really nice smelling. CMs always ask about them so I started bringing extra for them to keep.

Foldable ballet flats like Yosi Samra. They save so much room luggage wise and look great for Palo.

2 sets of swimwear so I never have to wriggle into a soggy pair. Also, to quickly dry wet ones overnight, roll them up in a towel and stand on them to realky wring out the water before you hang them.

Clothes pins to help keep curtains closed.

Electrolyte packets. Hot sun + day drinking, it can be difficult for me to keep hydrated even with lots of water.

Safety pins - I pin swimsuit straps/ties around the arms on verandah chairs so they can air dry without blowing away.

An over the door shoe organizer, door things removed and replaced with string. Loop the string over the hooks in the bathroom or room for extra storage.

Waterproof phone case. You need the app for everything now so you won’t want to leave your phone behind when you’re at the pool.

A packable backpack- the ultra-thin fabric dries quickly so these are really helpful for the beach and pool.

An old key to the world card or empty gift card, and a small magnetic clip. The card is for the lights, the clip is to hold it to the wall right by the light switch when you leave the room.

Last edited:
Do you put anything special on the magnet itself so it's easier to take off the door, or is that a non-issue?
Depends on the strength of the magnet. If you use a strong magnet and are worried if it will scratch or mar the surface, you can always put a piece of card stock between the magnet and the metal surface

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter