• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~ Tips ~

How much do you tip?

• Usually Between 5% - 10%

• Usually Between 10% - 15%

• Usually Between 15% - 20%

• Usually, more than 20%

Results are only viewable after voting.
Floridamouse said:
I was a restaurant manager for about 20 years. The servers only make a few dollars an hour. They do work hard. Besides catering to your needs they have prep work and cleaning work as well. Alot of people not in the restaurant business say that they could not handle being a server. Think about it. Dealing with your family and about 4-6 other families at the same time. And all asking for something.
As far as tipping. For many years the norm was 15%. But as we all know that the cost of living has gone way up. So their tip % should also go up. Of course if you get a server who doesn't care about their service then they are not concerned about making any money, and your tip should reflect it. Now if there is a problem with the food, and it is not the servers doing then the server should not be punished for it.

Let me start by saying that I am in the "usually tip more than 20%" group. I tip to say "thank you for taking good care of me" not because servers make little money, not because they work hard, and not because the cost of living is increasing. When I read this attitude it make me want to stop tipping all together.

First of all - it is not my fault that servers in some states (not in California where I live) are paid a sub minimum wage. If servers want full wages they should unionize and lobby. Don't expect me to make up for what your employer doesn't give you.

Second of all - lots of people work hard and don't receive tips. I have worked in child development for seventeen years where the pay is lousy. We do lots of hard and discusting work like changing diapers for sixteen children all day, cleaning up vomit, dealing with kids who kick and spit at us, the list goes on and on. No one tips us and in California where I live we make equal to or less than servers.

Lastly - a tip is a percentage of the bill so increasing the standard percentage amount due to the rising cost of living doesn't make any sense too me. The cost of the meal has already increased due to the increasing cost of living so why should the percentage increase as well?

Like I already said, I tip generously 95% of the time. Five percent I don't leave large tips due to inadequate service. I tip to thank the server not to supplement thier income.

shellybaxter said:
Lastly - a tip is a percentage of the bill so increasing the standard percentage amount due to the rising cost of living doesn't make any sense too me. The cost of the meal has already increased due to the increasing cost of living so why should the percentage increase as well?

I wondered about that math also.

SunKat said:
I have a question...when you go to a buffet (ie Chef Mickey's, Cape May Buffet) should you give less of a tip? I've heard 10 to 15% is fine for buffets because the wait staff doesn't have to take your food order, and is only bringing drinks and clearing plates. I normally tip 20% for a regular non-buffet meal and I'm curious how to tip at a buffet. Any thoughts?

Good question. I think on Buffet's, 10% is PLENTY. Any other thoughts? :confused3

Montana Disney Fan said:
I wondered about that math also.

Good question. I think on Buffet's, 10% is PLENTY. Any other thoughts? :confused3

Well, I already posted what I thought. In most places they don't just clear and bring drinks.

CPM said:
Well, I already posted what I thought. In most places they don't just clear and bring drinks.

oops. Sorry, just went back and read it. 20% is too high though. Maybe 15% if they are good and less if my frosty beer mug gains emptiness. :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter