• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tired of Repeat Bad Deck Parties and Repeated Entertainment Shows

Do you want DCL to change their entertainment yearly and provide better deck parties?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disneylunatic

Earning My Ears
Of those of you out there, who is tired of the boring deck parties that Disney Cruise Line provides and the repeated entertainment cruise after cruise (Peter Pan Show and Hercules)? I have been on Carnival Cruise Line who has provided a much better deck party catering to the Caribean theme of the cruise with music and decorations. I had expected DCL to far surpass this with their reputation of Disney behind them. Time after time my family and I have been disappointed with a deck party of loud music catering to 15/16 year olds and absolutely no Carribean theme at all. Regarding the repeat entertainment, if I have to see the Peter Pan Show or Hercules show on one more cruise I think I am going to scream. Who agrees that DCL needs to change their entertainment shows at the beginning of every year for repeat DCL cruisers and cater their deck parties along the lines of Disney's ocean shows, i.e., Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, etc.?:o

If you are truly bored with deck parties etc,why still cruise on DCL ?
Personaly...I envy Barb & Tony ! I would repeat my any cruises any time !!!!
Bette:Pinkbounc

My DD , 5, LOVED the deck parties and so did I! Hoola Hoops and Goofy and dancing as a family..the best. Prior to my first DCL cruise, I sailed with NCL, RCCL, and Costa. Of those three, RCL had the best entertainment. But, IMHO, Disney beat them all. I love Hercules and of course, a goodnight kiss from Disney Dreams.

I will say that the ports of call have no bearing on my cruise. I cruise with Disney because it's Disney. With other lines, I would study the itinerary and choose where I want to go. Not so with Disney. I am there to party with my children and husband , and nobody does it like Disney, again, IMHO.

I have never sailed on Carnival, I hear they really party down. But we are a family of tea totalers, so alcohol part of the "party" does nothing for us.

I love your idea of movie themed parties, though. Sounds like a blast!

When I get tired of all the 'old shows' and deck party, I will try another cruise line. However, I have yet to get tired of them.:p

Theres only so many variations on a deck party...music , dancing, more dancing, more music...

However, why hasn't DCL even thought to shake up the entertainment, especially knowing that they cater to a high % of repeat cruisers? I guess I'll answer my own question:Because they get so many repeat cruisers regardless, that they don't have to spend the $ to produce new shows....

I just wish DCL would get some new cabaret performers...Nothing against Michael Harrison, Rich Purpora et al

I think Disney does a great job of trying to keep things fresh. We've been on five DCL cruises and have enjoyed them all. Do we go to every show and every deck party every time - no.

Do I think it is time for some shows to be replaced - yes. I personally could do without Who Wants To Be A Mousketeer. However if they are still pulling in an audience for it so be it. We just do something else that evening. There is so much to do on the ship.

As for the "Peter Pan Show" I assume you are talking about Disney Dreams. I don't see that leaving anytime soon and I for one would hate to see it go. That show to me is what Disney is all about and I hope to see it running for many years to come.

Disney throws the best deck parties of any other cruise
lines we have sailed. We also love the two shows,
Disney Dreams and Hercules. I agree with the other
responses - you may want to try another cruise line.

I agree slightly. Would I like to see other cabaret singers? Yes!
But I think the DCL deck parties are the best. I remember when they were allowed to shoot fireworks from the smoke stacks DCL was the envy of every ship in port, we would be having our deck party and the people on other ships would be staring, because we were having such a great time.

But I don't really mind seeing the same things over again. Disney Dreams is a perfect ending to every cruise.

I am with Dreamer04 I don't really care about the ports I could stay on the ship and be happy because it is Disney. They can take me anywhere.

Lyn

I would prefer to cruise only with them. Next year however we may (this is a may as in might- still not sure will decide after Dec. cruise) try another line just because we would like other ports, shows etc. I am hopefull though that changes are being made. I am excited to see new menus (three years in a row of the same thing does get tireing) and heard there will be a new show. I really like the comedians they have for the caberet show just wish they would change their material as it is almost the exact same jokes each year. So in one way I do agree with you, the deck parties seem fine to me though, not sure what you want to happen there,

We have only gone on one cruise, but my kid's (4 and 8) LOVED the deck parties. I thought they were entertaining enough to satisfy a wide variety of ages. I really enjoyed watching my kids dance and dancing with them. My daughter is still singing "Hey Baby.....":) I thought the deck parties were good family fun.

We enjoyed the shows on the four day Wonder, but I would imagine that if you were lucky enough to go on many cruises, you might want to see new shows.

Angie

We're not tired of the DCL ship entertainment, we would sail again in a heartbeat, if we could. However, I'm afraid that with RCCL's Mariner of the Seas (a new Voyageur class ship) beginning to sail out of Port Canaveral this fall, that they are going to be giving DCL a run for their money. You can book similar accomodations on RCCL for almost half of what you'd pay on DCL. I'm afraid that there will be cruisers, like us, that have done DCL before and would enjoy the opportunity time and time again but when you can cruise from the same Port, same basic itinerary, bigger/newer ship, for half the cost, it's tempting! It's hard to pay through the nose for something unless it's new and exciting for you when you can get a bargain right next door. Watch out DCL.

Hmmm...I've only cruised once, so I cannot vote on this poll. But I am very surprised to see that people who have cruised repeatedly wouldn't want to see new shows. I didn't see any shows except Disney Dreams while on board, but I would not go see it again as I have seen it already. I also don't watch videos repeatedly either, So that may be the difference.

Very interesting poll, as far as the deck party, music is music and you make your own fun. So that wouldn't bother me if they didn't change that. Don't we all dance and party to the same kind of music at weddings. Celebrate, White Wedding, etc...

Okay, I'll jump in here.... (why, I am not sure!!!)

First, we have all heard that Disney IS finally producing a new show! I am just guessing here, that it will debut on the Magic after dry-dock in Oct?

Second, " The Peter Pan Show '? I haven't even cruised yet, and I even know that this is "Disney Dreams" Also know that if DCL tried to do away with Dreams, that there would probably be a major mutiny!!! :eek: That would be like DCL trying to do away with Mickey Mouse, Palo, or CC!!! It is part of the package.

So, IMHO While it sounds as if, YES, many things could be changed, or updated.... the Deck Parties and Disney Dreams are the two things that definatley do not......

Heck, if somebody has the $$$ to cruise that frequently, and if they are looking for different experiences, then yes, they could just try all different lines.

Different strokes for different folks!

I loved the deck parties so much I made a CD of music from them--and I'm 40, not 15! I really enjoyed myself. DH and I went to the Nassau sailaway without the kids!
With 3 kids and our schedules we won't ever be cruising enough to get bored with things, I hope. I still cry every time I walk into MK for the first time on our trips and see the castle, and I wouldn't want to change that! The things that stay the same on DCL are kind of the same way. There is a new show coming this fall, though.
Robin M.

What bothers me is the same music played over and over on the deck parties. Can't those musicians play anything different? Every deck party had the exact same music. They should have a different for each deck party. The deck parties were fun, but by the end of the trip I was very sick of the same tunes.

From what I understand, they a have a limited playlist. There songs are actually approved for play, same for the DJ's on the deck. This is what I heard from talking to band members and dj's on the ship.

I LOVE the deck parties! They are so much fun and the music is fun...not stuff I listen to at home, so now I associate it with DCL! :)
The shows are good, and I could go see DD a million times...perfect for the cruise! :) Hercules is good, but I would miss it if there was something else I wanted to do (seen it 4times already). :)

New shows would be great, but don't get rid of the good ones! LOL! :)

I agree with the statement "you make your own fun".....we have heard people say a deck party we were at was lame and we LOVED it....to each his own.

Ok, I'll bite at the risk of getting flamed here...

First, you have to know my backround. I live and breathe Disney. My DH and I are DVCers. I used to work at the Disney Store. We've been on Disney cruises the last 2 years in December. We were supposed to do back to back 7 day cruises last year by we even got cancelled on last years fated Dec voyage. We rescheduled on the Wonder, stayed 2 days at the parks and then did our second cruise. I even won a cruise in "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer" on the Wonder last December. We will be back this year, hopefully, doing back to back trips.

With all that said, the deck parties are fine, although certainly geared towards families. I think that's the way it ought to be though. Disney needs to shake it up with their other entertainment. I don't mind seeing the same shows again but if they could have 1 new one in a week's rotation it would be so much better. Keep the welcome aboard variety show, WTBAM and the farewell variety show as is. The other shows can be kept the same BUT each year, introduce 1 new one and remove a current one. That way within several years you could have a repertoire of shows. After you have a rotation going, reuse the suspended ones. It certainly would energize return cruisers, especially those of us fortunate enough to do it yearly.
As for the caberet acts, they either desperately need to rotate them or get new material. I don't mind seeing the same guys yearly IF they do different material! Which hasn't been happening. Yes, they are professional entertainers but they seem to be clever enough to be able to come up with more than 1 or 2 new jokes or songs a year. I'm not saying that we don't enjoy them but gee wiz.....
I hope it's true that the bars will be no smoking until 9pm. I have asthma, at least I can enjoy them until that point. Maybe they'll improve the air circulation and it will be a moot point.

Thanks for listening.

"Was that too orca-ish?"

I guess I didn't make myself to clear on the deck parties. YOUR ON A CARRIBEAN CRUISE...WHAT'S WRONG WITH A LITTLE OF THAT TYPE OF MUSIC TO GET YOU IN THE MOOD. It also wouldn't hurt for a few decorations...balloons...maybe a few people and characters doing the limbo. Also, I want to apologize for not using the correct title for the Disney Dreams show as it looks like I might have offended a few not using the correct name. I do agree the the Disney Dreams show is good, but how about adding some of the newer characters and movies to it. As for Hercules...it needs to go and I was not aware that a new show is in production and I am glad to hear it.

I voted no. I really could care less what they do with the deck parties because we don't attend them, we're just not into them at all and would rather be doing something else. As far as the shows, I hope "Disney Dreams" is never, ever replaced!! We've seen it twice and I'm looking forward to seeing it again in January. My only disappointment is not seeing the matinee. It wasn't offered on our first cruise, and was cancelled on our second cruise due to "mechanical difficulties" so I was really disappointed about that. Now, "Hercules" and the magic show are ones we don't care to see again, but other people love them, so rather than wishing they'd change them, we just do something else those nights. It is kind of nice not to have to worry about getting to the show right after dinner on those nights, and being able to just do whatever we want.

With Disney cruise #34 coming up at the end of the month, and 7 or 8 more booked through the end of 2004, I figure I might as well jump into the fray! I didn't vote because my opinion is divided. Personally, I LOVE Disney Dreams. Both hubby and I have seen it over 30 times, and I doubt that we'll ever get tired of it. I still get misty-eye at the end when TInkerbelle flies over the ship.
I like Herc too and would miss it if it were gone, but I like it less ever since they took out the longer monologue by Hades. That was a little different each time, and it always made me laugh.
I definitely wasn't sad to see Ghost Ship and Mouseketeer go, and I wouldn't miss Morty either (although I rather like Cest Magique). I guess what it boils down to is, if I really like something, I like to see it repeatedly. If not, I find something else to do (we always booked spa treatments on Mouseketeer and Ghost Ship nights). Actually, as a power repeater, I'm glad that I don't love every show because being able to skip some gives us a chance to go to the spa or spend some quality verandah time.
As for the entertainers, they DEFINITELY need to get some new material. I like them, but I can pretty much repeat their acts word for word. The same people are fine. Just have them do something different!
Personally, I enjoy the deck parties, although we don't always go. The fireworks are an awesome addition, and I hope they keep them past August.
I view the ship sort of as a weekend home. People have a cottage by the lake or some other kind of vacation place that they visit repeatedly without getting tired of. That's how the Wonder is for hubby and I.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter