• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To buy an AP or not??

figment74

DIS Dad #211
Some introductions are in order. My name is Figment (ok it’s Chris), and I've been skulking around the Dis for quite some time now. In 2014 I made my last trip to WDW with my soon to be Ex-wife and our DD. I spent most of that trip with the DD and the Ex spent her time in the Hotel. So you might say that it was a Solo Trip. In 2015 I took the DD on a cruise. Magic Halloween on the High Seas! I can't wait to go again. I booked a 7 day on the Fantasy in Sep of 2017. Here is the dilemma.

It's time for a trip to WDW. I've never been by myself and I'm going to be in Tampa at the end of September. The plan was originally to head to Tampa on Thursday and spend the weekend there. On Monday I'll drive the rental to MCO, and then take the ME to Coronado springs (my Fav Mod resort!) till Wed. I planned originally to just enjoy the resort and Disney Springs for Monday and Wed. Tues a group of us are heading to Epcot for Food and Wine! All in all a very low key vaca, but now I'm having second and even third thoughts about Thurs and Friday as well as the Cruise. As the original plan for Sep 2016 was just one day in Epcot. If I get an AP, I’d get a hotel on Thursday night, and then go to MNSSHP on Thursday night (AP Discount), and then hit DHWS on Friday for a bit, then drive to Tampa for the weekend. Spend the Weekend with my BF and then drive back to MCO and resume the original itinerary.

So here is the Rub. I just read that Celebration will be in Orlando in 2017 April 13 - 16th Easter Weekend. The thought processes here is to fly in a few days before the con, and head to the parks for a few days, and then transfer to another hotel at the convention center for Star Wars Celebration, then fly home. Later I would travel to WDW again in the fall for Free Dining and Food and Wine. The only way this works is if I get an AP.

I have a few concerns.

1) If I buy an AP will it be worth it? IE will I be able to use it enough to justify the cost.

2) Should I cancel my Cruise and Go to WDW 3 times in 12 months?

3) How do I dine alone at my Favorite Restaurants? (At Home I usually eat at the Bar)

4) Should I scale way back, and not go to Celebration?? (I know right?!?!)

If I buy the AP I will feel obligated to get my money's worth, and travel to WDW as often as possible over the next 12 months. Not a huge deal I live in VA. I can get to Orlando easy enough. I have this great Cruise planned, but not paid for, so I can cancel if I need to. I am just not sure about the whole traveling to WDW Solo. I’m wary about Solo Traveling. Especially dining alone. I welcome feedback and suggestions. Thank you for reading.

Kungaloosh!

Do the cruise and hold buying a annual pass, 2017 is not looking great with so many construction around

I just made the decision to do an AP for this year as i have 2 4+ day trips planned in the next year. Hoping the pass will force me to get 1 more trip in. 2 4 day park hopper tickets cost right around the same price as an AP, so that was my deciding vote as I will also get Free parking, dining/tour discounts, and other perks I hope to use!

Do the cruise and hold buying a annual pass, 2017 is not looking great with so many construction around

I appreciate your insight, I'm not so sure that some construction around WDW will be enough to deter me from Traveling to the parks at least 3 times in the next 12 months. I am really strongly pulled towards the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando next year, and I figure if I'm there i might as well extend and hang on Property for a few days. The cost of the Cruise is considerably more than the AP (not a fair comparison i know) and that may be enough to sway my decision already. Still I have my concerns about WDW alone. I'm worried that I'll get there @ MNSSHP and find that I'm all alone in a sea of thousands. Just my anxiety around traveling alone. I'm not one that likes to spend time solitude.

Ok, if construction is not a issue, you will probably do better with annual pass and getting great discounts on rooms for those 3 trips, passholders now have access to discount on party tickest maybe you can persuade someone to go with you:rolleyes1

Interestingly - I'd buy an AP for solo trips in a heartbeat if I was thinking about at least 2 trips - but I'd not book a cruise solo.

Dining at WDW solo is totally no big deal. Dine at all your favorite restaurants - it's fine! Nobody cares. If you have been a couple or family for some time, adjusting to that concept can take time. Not everyone ends up comfortable dining alone, but many of us are. I don't care for the bar/lounge area solo because I don't like the extra chaos/noise in those locations, and if I'm paying for nice meal, I want the ambience to go with it. So - I pick regular ole TS places.

Is it worth it? In years I buy an AP - I typically go 3-4 times. With cheap SW flights out of my home airport and using passholder discounts at value resorts - I can make that pretty inexpensive. You just need to truly write down the number of days you are really committing to and what those would cost separately - and see if it makes sense. I like one trip in January/February, one in March - early June, one in October-December. The one year I did early October - and then popped down for a quick 3 days in Dec just to enjoy WDW at Christmas.

NOw, for me, I don't buy an AP every year. I'm currently without any valid tickets to my name - and probably will be for at least another 6 months. But - hey - I needed a break and money to travel some other places. But I'll be buying one again sometime in 2017!

I went on my first solo WDW trip last July. I knew I had 2 more planned within the year so I bought an AP for the first time. It has been MORE than worth it to me. Because I had it, on each of those trips, I ended up spending more days in the parks than I would have otherwise, but was also able to not feel forced to spend every second of the day in the parks. I could go for a few hours in the morning or evening and never felt the pressure to do everything. It was a great decision for me, and I renewed earlier this summer. (FYI...when you go to renew it, it's $75 cheaper than the first year...so that's nice)

I also loved getting the AP resort rates. That saved me a great deal. As well as the discounts on most things you buy, discounted special event tickets and other little perks.

I love traveling solo in general. I've done it a fair amount over the last 18 years. I like traveling with people too....but there is so much to be said for solo travel. It's very nice to go at your own pace, do what you want when you want, change plans as you wish...without having any concern for what others want to do. It's extremely relaxing and freeing. I was unsure of going to WDW by myself...but I am SO GLAD I did. I went in July and December last year solo. In February of this year I went with friends for part of the trip and then was solo for a few days. This past July I took my Mom and then had a few solo days after she had to leave. In August I went solo for a long weekend. In 2 weeks I'm going back solo for a long weekend. And in late October I'm moving down there because I've fallen so in love with all of it. :)

I've never had a problem dining solo. I find that relaxing also. Being solo hasn't stopped me from dining at any WDW places. And it won't. California Grill, Brown Derby, Tiffins...even a few character meals...I've done them all solo. No big deal. No one else cares. Wait staff has always been great. NO reason to me not to do it. Plus, it's usually easy to get a reservation for 1.

So I say cancel the cruise since you've already done that somewhat recently and do something you haven't done...WDW 3 times in a year.

And don't skip Celebration. Duh. lol.

Also...I did a trip report on that first solo in July 2015. The link is in my signature. Check it out if you want to see the detailed version of how my first solo was.

Ok, if construction is not a issue, you will probably do better with annual pass and getting great discounts on rooms for those 3 trips, passholders now have access to discount on party tickest maybe you can persuade someone to go with you:rolleyes1

Oh, You know someone that wants to go to MNSSHP? I'm down with meeting new people all the time. One of my favorite things to do is make Line Friends at the parks. *Drove my Ex crazy! lol.

I just made the decision to do an AP for this year as i have 2 4+ day trips planned in the next year. Hoping the pass will force me to get 1 more trip in. 2 4 day park hopper tickets cost right around the same price as an AP, so that was my deciding vote as I will also get Free parking, dining/tour discounts, and other perks I hope to use!

My thinking exactly. I'm 99.999% there. I need to see about a few minor details. I also just noticed that I get the Digital Downloads from the Photogs for free as well?? That's a major plus for me, since Selfies at WDW are just not the same as Photopass Photogs taking them.

I went on my first solo WDW trip last July. I knew I had 2 more planned within the year so I bought an AP for the first time. It has been MORE than worth it to me. Because I had it, on each of those trips, I ended up spending more days in the parks than I would have otherwise, but was also able to not feel forced to spend every second of the day in the parks. I could go for a few hours in the morning or evening and never felt the pressure to do everything. It was a great decision for me, and I renewed earlier this summer. (FYI...when you go to renew it, it's $75 cheaper than the first year...so that's nice)

I also loved getting the AP resort rates. That saved me a great deal. As well as the discounts on most things you buy, discounted special event tickets and other little perks.

I love traveling solo in general. I've done it a fair amount over the last 18 years. I like traveling with people too....but there is so much to be said for solo travel. It's very nice to go at your own pace, do what you want when you want, change plans as you wish...without having any concern for what others want to do. It's extremely relaxing and freeing. I was unsure of going to WDW by myself...but I am SO GLAD I did. I went in July and December last year solo. In February of this year I went with friends for part of the trip and then was solo for a few days. This past July I took my Mom and then had a few solo days after she had to leave. In August I went solo for a long weekend. In 2 weeks I'm going back solo for a long weekend. And in late October I'm moving down there because I've fallen so in love with all of it. :)

I've never had a problem dining solo. I find that relaxing also. Being solo hasn't stopped me from dining at any WDW places. And it won't. California Grill, Brown Derby, Tiffins...even a few character meals...I've done them all solo. No big deal. No one else cares. Wait staff has always been great. NO reason to me not to do it. Plus, it's usually easy to get a reservation for 1.

So I say cancel the cruise since you've already done that somewhat recently and do something you haven't done...WDW 3 times in a year.

And don't skip Celebration. Duh. lol.

Also...I did a trip report on that first solo in July 2015. The link is in my signature. Check it out if you want to see the detailed version of how my first solo was.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was talking about. I was just telling my pal that if I have an AP, I can pop into the MK in the morning, and head back to the resort because I know I'm coming back another day. I love the AP, this will be my 3rd time as an AP member, so I have done the parks 3 times in 12 months before, it's just been a while. The Perks are a definite plus. I am esp jazzed about the free Digital Pictures.

One of the questions that I had was in regards to the ADR. (or rather Lack there of), how hard is it for a single to get a seat at some of the Nicer Table service restaurants? I don't feel like Character Buffets are in order at all, I want to have a nice Sit down. BOG might be a good choice, but I'm really thinking more Dis Springs, or BW area. I'm not so concerned about what others think about me dining alone, I just feel uncomfortable. I really liked that aspect of the cruise. Dining with other single parents over 5 days we really got to know one another. Both were Single Moms recently divorced or separated so we had lots to talk about. This will be different in that I don't even have my kid with me. As for your comment "but there is so much to be said for solo travel. It's very nice to go at your own pace, do what you want when you want, change plans as you wish...without having any concern for what others want to do" I knew I was doing something wrong in my marriage. :tongue:.

I appreciate all the insight. I'm just trying to work out the details. I usually plan trips over a year out, so this Spur of the moment, off the Cuff type of trip is way out of my comfort zone. Still I'm almost committed to getting the pass and scrubbing the cruise.

If you keep your cruise how many park days are you going to be at WDW for the other 2 trips? Is this really a solo trip or is it going to be DD and you like you mentioned in your post (more costs =most savings with an ap so it breaks even faster)...

I'm not going to comment on cruise or not, i've tried cruises they aren't my thing so I would never consider it in the first place and not the person to say keep it or not...

I do want to comment on your rental car plan. Is there a reason to go all the way from tampa to MCO or are you just dropping off the car? Talk to the car company, you might be able to just leave it for them at disney or many of the car rental companies are just south of property very close to world drive and it's a quick $8-12 uber ($25-35ish taxi) to get to the resort after dropping your car off there. You'll probably spend more money in gas and tons of wasted time traveling going all the way to MCO instead of just stopping at property. you can take ME one direction, you don't have to take it both if you didn't know in case that's why you want to go to MCO.

If I keep the cruise the other park days won't happen. I have money earmarked for the Cruise, and If I cancel it frees that up for my Platinum Pass. Yes, I am traveling to the Mouse sans kids, and other companions. Just me, myself and I. I'm having a me party! As for the Tampa leg of this trip, my BF lives in Tampa, so I was going to stay with him for a long weekend and then he suggested that we hit Epcot on Tues for F&W. Which got me to thinking, what if I book a hotel on property for a few days to get a dis fix, without heading into the parks. Then I discovered that Star Wars Celebration takes place in Orlando in April 2017, 2nd trip planned. 3rd Trip I can pull my Daughter out of school the 2nd to last week (it's only 3rd grade), and Finally finish off 2017 with another Food and Wine Trip. (who knows I might just renew the pass in 2017).

As for leaving the Car on Property. I'm renting from Hertz, and dropping the car at a different location that I picked up it 4x the cost. (crazy in know) . Still I will ask Hertz when I get to MCO if they'll let me drop the car elsewhere. Thanks for the Idea.

I have been looking at getting an AP also. Some of the research I found suggests that if you will be at Disney World for 2 or more trips totaling 10+ days, then the AP would pass the break even point. This does not include the free parking and AP discounts.

Last edited:
Agreed. The Platinum pass also takes the pressure off any trip to the parks. I don't feel like I need to stay from 'Rope Drop' to the push that cast members do after the park is closed. I've all but made up my mind to get the pass. I'm just trying to work out some logistics on my end first. I know in years past I had an AP, and WDW sent me a room only rate that was outrageous. The then Wife and I were able to do a long weekend in the parks for only a few hundred dollars. If I had to buy 2 passes there is no way that I would do this, but since it's just me. Much more likely that I would be able to do this.

My major disappointment about the annual pass recently is that unless your travel days are very flexible, discounts may not be available at the hotel of your choice, or at very many hotels at all. (Years ago they used to be much more available than now.)

Just got an annual pass this year for the first time. I will activate it in December and will be there a week and then another week in May, then again next December (going to go a week earlier next year than this year so that I maximize my pass days). Benefits of pass and whether its worth it or not is the room discounts or if you, like me, will be there enough days to make it worthwhile. The discounts like pp have said can be hit or miss. I looked at historical data on when the pass discounts were announced and dates they were for and they seemed pretty much in line with discounts available to the general public. Sometimes you get a little more of a discount, like 5% above what the general public might get. I don't know if I would get one just for this or for the food discounts at some of the restaurants. Like I mentioned before, my real push to get it this year was that I plan to go for the holiday decorations every year and now I want to start going regularly to the Flower and Garden show as well--this year given I will go 12/10 to 18, then at least 16 days before 12/10 next year,
making it well worth it. As far as dining, you'd be surprised how many solo diners you'll see at WDW table service restaurants. When I was there in May, I went to Chefs de France for lunch and there were 4 other solo diners right in my vicinity. I wouldn't let being solo deter you from table service anywhere. However, a lot of folks sit at the bars at a lot of TS restaurants--the added bonus of this is that you don't necessarily need an ADR if you eat at the bar--some of the TS with eat-at bars are Shula's, Blue Zoo, Il Mulino, Jiko, California Grill, Narcoosee's, Flying Fish, Yak & Yeti, and the Wave--I'm sure there are others too. Never considered doing a Disney cruise solo. Whatever you decide, remember it's Disney! Have a fantastic time!

My major disappointment about the annual pass recently is that unless your travel days are very flexible, discounts may not be available at the hotel of your choice, or at very many hotels at all. (Years ago they used to be much more available than now.)

The Discounted rooms are a really nice perk, and my plans are somewhat flexible, just have to wait and see. I've always seen the discounts as an added perk, and not a reason that I buy or don't buy an AP. I just have to know that I'm going to be in the park enough times to justify the cost of the pass. It was easy when a AP was under $600, getting a little more difficult as the cost increases. Still 780/2 = 390 and two 4 day hoppers cost 788. If I only get 4 days a trip the other 2 trips that I have planned are gravy. Also there are the Pins that AP members get to buy to be considered as well.

I've already made up my mind to do this, can you tell. Just needed to talk it out. That Cruise looked like a lot of fun, but I can always book a trip in 2018, on the day that they release the rates.

Just got an annual pass this year for the first time. I will activate it in December and will be there a week and then another week in May, then again next December (going to go a week earlier next year than this year so that I maximize my pass days). Benefits of pass and whether its worth it or not is the room discounts or if you, like me, will be there enough days to make it worthwhile. The discounts like pp have said can be hit or miss. I looked at historical data on when the pass discounts were announced and dates they were for and they seemed pretty much in line with discounts available to the general public. Sometimes you get a little more of a discount, like 5% above what the general public might get. I don't know if I would get one just for this or for the food discounts at some of the restaurants. Like I mentioned before, my real push to get it this year was that I plan to go for the holiday decorations every year and now I want to start going regularly to the Flower and Garden show as well--this year given I will go 12/10 to 18, then at least 16 days before 12/10 next year,
making it well worth it. As far as dining, you'd be surprised how many solo diners you'll see at WDW table service restaurants. When I was there in May, I went to Chefs de France for lunch and there were 4 other solo diners right in my vicinity. I wouldn't let being solo deter you from table service anywhere. However, a lot of folks sit at the bars at a lot of TS restaurants--the added bonus of this is that you don't necessarily need an ADR if you eat at the bar--some of the TS with eat-at bars are Shula's, Blue Zoo, Il Mulino, Jiko, California Grill, Narcoosee's, Flying Fish, Yak & Yeti, and the Wave--I'm sure there are others too. Never considered doing a Disney cruise solo. Whatever you decide, remember it's Disney! Have a fantastic time!

Thanks for the suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for. Narcoosee's, and Flying Fish are on my list of Dining experiences I've been wanting to try for a while now. Good to know that they have a Bar area that I can order the menu from. I don't think I'll ever Cruise Solo. The cost is just so much more than if you split the room with someone. So in 2018 I'll look at that possibility. For now. I'm getting an AP. Just need to know how soon can I link the AP to my Magic Band for this upcoming trip? I know that in order to make FP times I have to have a valid pass. not sure how that will work since I don't have a valid pass yet, and won't have one till I exchange the certificate for an actual pass. Anyone know how to accomplish this?

Thanks, this is exactly what I was talking about. I was just telling my pal that if I have an AP, I can pop into the MK in the morning, and head back to the resort because I know I'm coming back another day. I love the AP, this will be my 3rd time as an AP member, so I have done the parks 3 times in 12 months before, it's just been a while. The Perks are a definite plus. I am esp jazzed about the free Digital Pictures.

One of the questions that I had was in regards to the ADR. (or rather Lack there of), how hard is it for a single to get a seat at some of the Nicer Table service restaurants? I don't feel like Character Buffets are in order at all, I want to have a nice Sit down. BOG might be a good choice, but I'm really thinking more Dis Springs, or BW area. I'm not so concerned about what others think about me dining alone, I just feel uncomfortable. I really liked that aspect of the cruise. Dining with other single parents over 5 days we really got to know one another. Both were Single Moms recently divorced or separated so we had lots to talk about. This will be different in that I don't even have my kid with me. As for your comment "but there is so much to be said for solo travel. It's very nice to go at your own pace, do what you want when you want, change plans as you wish...without having any concern for what others want to do" I knew I was doing something wrong in my marriage. :tongue:.

I appreciate all the insight. I'm just trying to work out the details. I usually plan trips over a year out, so this Spur of the moment, off the Cuff type of trip is way out of my comfort zone. Still I'm almost committed to getting the pass and scrubbing the cruise.

2 weeks ago I got a day of reservation for 1 at Artist Point. Had my choice of a few times. And when I say day of I really mean like 4 hours before I wanted to go eat. Ha. I've done that many times in the last year for Brown Derby and a few others. I've been able to get California Grill, Le Cellier, Tiffins...all the week off or occasionally a day or 2 before. Not as often to get day of on those for me. But I've been going at busier times my last 2 trips.

Lol...yes if you were going with the do what you want when you want attitude while married I can see how that might not have gone over very well. Ha.

Being single is way underrated.

Just need to know how soon can I link the AP to my Magic Band for this upcoming trip? I know that in order to make FP times I have to have a valid pass. not sure how that will work since I don't have a valid pass yet, and won't have one till I exchange the certificate for an actual pass. Anyone know how to accomplish this?
You can link the certificate to your MDE account and then you can use it to reserve FP+. It doesn't matter that the certificate has not yet been exchanged for an actual pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter