To Genie+ or not, Lines vs Genie vs rope drop most popular, I'm confused!

elfling8

Mouseketeer
Our trip is the first week of Nov. We haven't been in over 5 years, and I've read the Genie, LL and virtual queue threads and have to say I'm still wondering how it's all going to work!

Trip basics: Staying at Music, doing one day at each park. Just me and DH. Dining reservations in each park (except Epcot - eating around the world) approx. 4pm daily. Crowd calender looks pretty good - our highest day is a 6 at HS. Planning on rope dropping early hours. No need to see parades or fireworks if happening, we'd rather ride rides then.

1. Am i correct in seeing that there are no single rider lines in any park anymore?

2. I have the lines app. When I pick things and hit optimize, I seem to get a very different order than what the pre-made touring plans from the book/website are. For example - I would think rope drop FoP at AK would be the way to go, but it has me doing it later in the day and heading straight for Naavi if I optimize. Then I worry what if the lines don't go down later and we end up not on it. Same for the Galaxy Edge stuff. Is rope drop the popular stuff still the way to go, or are we better off following a pre-made plan or adjust on the go when we see wait times?

3. Can we get away without Genie+? Thinking maybe we'll spring for it for HS day because the whole purpose of going here instead of Universal is because all the Star Wars is new since our last trip.

4. Virtual queues. UGH. Reading through the thread and looking at the sell out times, it looks like we are pretty safe waiting for the 1pm drop to get on GoG for sure, and probably Tron too?

Thanks for talking this overwhelmed planner down! LOL It's not really as bad as it seems, right?

Edit- originally had typo of first week of Dec, corrected to Nov.

Last edited:
1. After doing a quick internet search, I see that there are 4 rides at WDW that have single-rider lines: TT, EE, MFSR, and RnRC.

2. I don't not use anything like a lines app, so I cannot comment on that, but I can tell you that RDing FoP will only work for you if (a) you are at the very very front of the ETPE (Early Theme Park Entry) crowd, (b) can sprint or run like mad, and (c) don't mind fending off the crowds. If you do not want to either spend a long time in line or wait until near park close when the lines are the shortest, then you might want to consider purchasing an ILL$ for FoP. To me, it's worth it.

RotR has a similar problem. It's where nearly everyone goes at RD and, to make matters worse, it's sometimes down first thing in the morning.

As you may have considered, FoP and RotR are the two must-do attractions at WDW. You may consider Tron and GotG in this category as well.

3. Well, sure, you can get away without G+. The question is, would you want to? Do you mind standing in line? Are you interested in doing a lot of E-ticket attractions? Is G+ a budget killer? It's really up to you. Check out Thrill Data and you'll see what the average wait times are for the attractions you're interested in. Many people feel G+ is a waste at DAK. You might agree with that, depending on what's important to you.

4. Someone else will, I'm sure, be along to answer this question. I have no experience with either attraction.

Note: Early December is no longer a light-crowd period, although you could get lucky. I'll be there at the end of the first week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

At any rate, have a fun trip!

1. After doing a quick internet search, I see that there are 4 rides at WDW that have single-rider lines: TT, EE, MFSR, and RnRC.
Ah, thank you - I was having trouble finding it on Disney's sites and the guide book, but I see what you are seeing now. Excellent, we will use those for sure!
2. RDing FoP will only work for you if (a) you are at the very very front of the ETPE (Early Theme Park Entry) crowd, (b) can sprint or run like mad, and (c) don't mind fending off the crowds.
LOL yes - got it! I've always skipped FOP because fear of motion sickness, but this trip I'm going to dramamine up and ride everything ;)
As you may have considered, FoP and RotR are the two must-do attractions at WDW. You may consider Tron and GotG in this category as well.
Yes - also new since we last visited
Note: Early December is no longer a light-crowd period, although you could get lucky. I'll be there at the end of the first week and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

At any rate, have a fun trip!
Oops that was a typo - should be Nov. We'll have food and wine to contend with at Epcot and I think a marathon so I'm a little concerned about that.
Thanks!!

As far as getting genie+, I’d say it depends on if you want re-rides or not. I think if you would ride some of the more popular rides at rope drop and near closing, you’ll have no problem riding every ride you want to. Then, in the middle of the day when lines are longest, do the lesser rides or shows/entertainment.

We are staying at Music in about a week and a half so I may have a better idea when we return. I will let you know what we experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter