• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To get a "Safe" Or not get a "safe" in your Hotel Room?

violet13

Mouseketeer
We hardly ever travel, wondering WHY you need an "In room Safe" in your hotel or suite Room at all? Is it because "housekeeping" comes and cleans your room every day when you are not there? (Are you able to DECLINE the housekeeping???, so you won't need the safe?) How many of you rent the "in room Safe", and WHY? Anybody had any bad experiences or been ripped off, or things taken from your room at a hotel or suite??? We hate to spend the extra money to rent one of these things, IS IT REALLY nessecarry? I think I will need some convincing, I guess. Thank you for your replys.

The small safes in the hotel rooms (usually in the closet) that I have stayed at onsite or offsite have always been included in the price. No estra charge.

I love them cause I put my extra cash/valuables/travelers check/l credit card in the safe. Some safes have a key lock, others have a digital code type These safes are usually tiny and built into the wall.

Which hotel is it that you have to pay extra for a safe?

Herc.

WEll worth the price of a hotel room with a safe...You can stash your wallet and valuables if you go swimming in them or leave your room for any amount of time, also if you do not want to carry all your valuables to the parks each day..a good place to stash them too...

There is definetly a fee where we are staying- at least $2 a day. I want to know why Housekeeping must come in your room, don't we have the option to say We don't want them too??? Maybe I worry too much, but you can't put EVERYTHING in these safes! I posted this same question on another board and a lady had her watch and sunglasses & a few other things stolen while they went to Breakfast. This should never be able to happen. Period.
How big as these safes anyway? As you can see, I rarely travel. I'm renting a car, and I am also worried it might be stolen since I am driving it from another state, I hear those are targeted the most.

I always opt for the safe when traveling. Haven't you seen those news programs about housekeeping and other hotel workers helping themselves to your goods? I try to make it as difficult as possible for people to get my stuff.

Most safes don't hold much. The ones at Disney Resorts (free with room) can hold a wallet, camera flash unit, airlines tickets and such. The ones at off-site hotels vary in size but most are fairly small.

I don't tend to travel with any real jewelry, expensive watches or other high market items. My camera is too big for most safes so it's either with me or hidden in the car.

I want to know if we have the option to say we don't want housekeeping coming in our rooms? Does anyone know. It seems it should be "OUR RIGHT" paying for the room each day. ????

If you do not want housekeeping, just put your 'do not disturb' sign on the door before you leave.

Also, some hotels REQUIRE the fee for the safe. Sometimes it's combined w/ other fees such as local calls.

At the risk of sounding foolish, I have never heard of a safe in a hotel room. Is there that much crime in that area, or is it just a precaution. Any Florida residents please do not be offended.

A lot of the rooms we've stayed in have safes. Some are included in the price and some are extra. We use ours to put our money, traveler's checks, credit cards, etc. in when we go to the pool or at night when we sleep. I know they're probably safe while we sleep but my DH feels better when our valuables are locked up. The small price they charge is worth the peach of mind for him. As far as housekeeping goes, you put your "Do not disturbe" sign on the door or tell them if you see them on your floor when you leave. We've done both and never had a problem with it.

To date, never had a problem with any of the in-room safes that we have used (for example ... Dixie Landings or cabins onboard a cruise ship) nor have we ever run across being charged a daily rate. You can check with hotel reception regarding the lock-up of valuables in their safe if available. It saves carrying around any spare credit cards, airline tickets, passports, etc. :)

The safe is definitely worth it. We put all of our cash, credit cards, and park tickets in it when we aren't using them.

Pardon me for being nosy, but what in heaven's name are you planning to bring that has excessive value but won't fit in a safe? The only things I can think of that one would travel with that is of significant value would be jewelry(incl. watches), cash, credit cards, checkbooks, and tickets. All should fit comfortably in any safe. :)

BK

My cousin stayed in a hotel just outside Disneys gates. They were burglarized and lost everything (plane tickets to toothbrushes). The officer who took the report told them that all l she was assigned to do was to take reports from burglarized hotel rooms on the strip. She said at least 10 to 20 a night. :(

I've personally had some items stolen (most likely by housekeeping) things that I've purchased, shoes, clothes. But..... they didn't get the good stuff! It was all in my safe. :D

I'd go with the safe. It's a small price to pay for the extra security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter