To go or not to go…

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s a personal decision for sure. We are not going until our kids are vaccinated, but I’m not judging those who make a different decision. I just personally feel like I will enjoy the trip more when we all have that layer of protection from the vaccine.

I just emailed our DVP about options and contingency plans. I'm so angry and sad. I'm still hoping we can pull this trip off, but I have no idea. I have an idea of what our trip would look like if we chose to go, and am comfortable with some risks. But I would like for rates to go down.

I am really struggling to make the decision to cancel our 8/8 arrival trip or go. My husband and I are vaccinated, but my 3 and 5 year old are too young to be. I scheduled our trip as far into the summer as possible with the hope that things would be as close to normal as possible, which really backfired.

With the surging cases there and what looks to be very high crowd levels, I would feel absolutely terrible if they got COVID from our trip. My 5 year old has fairly bad asthma. But man… we’ve all been so looking forward to this after our May 2020 trip was cancelled.

Thoughts? I know it’s such a personal choice, I just want to bounce it off some other Disney parents. Thanks in advance!

Statistically, children as young as yours usually do fine even if they catch COVID. Just remember whether or not you have been vaccinated, you can still get COVID. (Hopefully, a much less severe case than if you weren't vaccinated). If you really want to go on vacation and are willing to deal with the possibility of getting sick then I would go enjoy yourself. Remember your children or you could just as well get sick from someone at the grocery store, or at their school. Ultimately whatever you choose to do, it will be the right decision for you. Good luck :)

That's tough. I have asthma, and as a kid, I always looked forward to going to WDW. Florida isn't on my radar for places to go right now. I'm heading to Utah next month. I might head to DL for the holidays. We'll see.

You have to do what's right for your family and your circumstances. What's right for one person isn't necessarily right for another.

Same decision here. We are schedule for end of august. Husband and I are both vaccinated. But taking our 3 kids, all too young to be vaccinated. We have been basically house bound since the beginning of all this and we were looking forward to finally getting back to our happy place. I am so torn on what the best decision is.

We are struggling with the same decision. We were scheduled for 8/12-8/21. We will lose $1,000 on the DVC points we used to get Beach Club. It's rough.

Does anyone know if my park tickets will expire if they're not used? Or do they remain in hibernation until you activate them?
We canceled our 8/21 trip.. I think Florida had 25,000 cases just Friday, it’s exploding and wasn’t worth the risk for us and our four kids who aren’t able to be vaccinated.

Same decision here. We are schedule for end of august. Husband and I are both vaccinated. But taking our 3 kids, all too young to be vaccinated. We have been basically house bound since the beginning of all this and we were looking forward to finally getting back to our happy place. I am so torn on what the best decision is.

We decided to cancel and the relief I felt after was great. Everyday when we see the news we know we made a good choice and the right thing by our kids, also if you read the trio advisor or reviews on here it doesn’t even sound magical right now for the littles. It’s not going to be the same Disney and we decided to go to the beach (uncrowned one) for a week instead which actually… was 1/8 the price of our Disney trip. Seems like in all the reviews everyone is coming back with covid so if your not okay getting it I would cancel.

Has your family gone to a local amusement park or a busy mall? If the answer is no, I highly recommend you do that first and see how you feel being back with the crowds. This year due to the Jewish holidays, the Labour Day weekend will be a 4 day weekend. Many people from my neck of the woods in NJ are planning to go during the end of August which is usually a less busy time to go but probably not this year due to the holidays.

I am starting to struggle with the decision too. We are a party of 6, all vaccinated. I am personally happy that the masks are back on indoors. Don't know how I would cancel this trip again.

I think your travelling group will definitely enjoy the trip. I really really really wish that the indoor mask-wearing policy was enforced when we were there. My family (3 vaccinated and 1 unvaccinated due to age) would definitely enjoy the trip tenfold more.

I think your travelling group will definitely enjoy the trip. I really really really wish that the indoor mask-wearing policy was enforced when we were there. My family (3 vaccinated and 1 unvaccinated due to age) would definitely enjoy the trip tenfold more.

Thanks...I am always nervous about getting sick at Disney. I guess I have to use my normal precautions plus the mask! Thank you for your words. It helps.

Has your family gone to a local amusement park or a busy mall? If the answer is no, I highly recommend you do that first and see how you feel being back with the crowds. This year due to the Jewish holidays, the Labour Day weekend will be a 4 day weekend. Many people from my neck of the woods in NJ are planning to go during the end of August which is usually a less busy time to go but probably not this year due to the holidays.

We have been going out. And 2 of my kids go to school. But we amusement parks no, but we’ve been to parks, malls, petting zoos etc.

I came back from a 1-week trip with 4 vaccinated adults and two unvaccinated children (7 + 8). I would honestly say that even though we had a good time, it wasn't as fun/good as in trips in the past. You're paying the same prices (if not more) for an experience that is about 66% of what you would normally get. Also, with the lack of Fast-passes, it's really hard to decide "Do we make the kids wait in line for X minutes and will it be worth it if one of them has a meltdown?". There was also the lingering thought in the back of our minds of "what if one of us gets COVID?". At the time, only about 5% of the people we came across in the parks were masking up and you knew that tons of the unmasked people were unvaccinated. It wasn't a good feeling and we almost always tried to eat outside even if it was extremely hot.

If you are worried about the safety of your children, can wait until after Q1 2022 when under 12 is anticipated to be vaccinated and Disney has enough time to properly staff up, I think it would be best. That's just my opinion though.

We were also in the same dilemma as most of the folks here. We had postponed our trip 3 times and figured that the 3rd week of July would be ideal since most people would be vaccinated by then. That wasn't really the case but we managed to make it out of Florida covid-free.

Last edited:
I came back from a 1-week trip with 4 vaccinated adults and two unvaccinated children (7 + 8). I would honestly say that even though we had a good time, it wasn't as fun/good as in trips in the past. You're paying the same prices (if not more) for an experience that is about 66% of what you would normally get. Also, with the lack of Fast-passes, it's really hard to decide "Do we make the kids wait in line for X minutes and will it be worth it if one of them has a meltdown?". There was also the lingering thought in the back of our minds of "what if one of us gets COVID?". At the time, only about 5% of the people we came across in the parks were masking up and you knew that tons of the unmasked people were unvaccinated. It wasn't a good feeling and we almost always tried to eat outside even if it was extremely hot.

If you are worried about the safety of your children, can wait until after Q1 2022 when under 12 is anticipated to be vaccinated and Disney has enough time to properly staff up, I think it would be best. That's just my opinion though.

We were also in the same dilemma as most of the folks here. We had postponed our trip 3 times and figured that the 3rd week of July would be ideal since most people would be vaccinated by then. That wasn't really the case but we managed to make it out of Florida covid-free.

100% agree to this post, except I made a very foolish decision to go during the 4th of July week for the Flower and Garden show.... No more 4th of July at Disney for me and my family.

We were there June 21-30, the mask mandate was lifted right before we went except on transportation. It was definitely different going this time around, I can say many things were missing as far as experiences go. All weekend, I've been asking myself, "Did I knee-jerk reaction to the media hype?" Should we have gone? My kids wore masks in school all year, and masks don't bother them. I just need to keep reminding myself, High Risk, Low Reward in FL right now. I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened to one of my kids. Plus, I need to remind myself we were just there for 10 days...

I know..... Disney addict issues 😂

Update: We had a family meeting, and we decided to cancel. I spent sooo many hours planning this trip, and we are sad to let it all unravel. To add insult to injury, DVC Rental Store won't refund us anything, not even a partial refund even though Orlando is in a state of emergency. Ugh! But the parents of the other family we were treating to a first Disney trip could not bring themselves to bring unvaccinated kids to Orlando right now. The virus is really spiking there, and even kids are hospitalized! Prayers for Florida.

Thanks to everyone here for talking this over, pros and cons, and for feeling our pain. Sniff!

Update: We had a family meeting, and we decided to cancel. I spent sooo many hours planning this trip, and we are sad to let it all unravel. To add insult to injury, DVC Rental Store won't refund us anything, not even a partial refund even though Orlando is in a state of emergency. Ugh! But the parents of the other family we were treating to a first Disney trip could not bring themselves to bring unvaccinated kids to Orlando right now. The virus is really spiking there, and even kids are hospitalized! Prayers for Florida.

Thanks to everyone here for talking this over, pros and cons, and for feeling our pain. Sniff!
I feel your pain. Making all the plans, being excited and having the rug pulled out. Today has been a tough day to work and knowing that we won't be boarding a plane on Thursday stinks even more. That's unfortunate about the DVC rental store and no partial refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter