To go or not to go - Animal Kingdom

AK is hands down the best themed and immersive park. Do not miss it, especially if you like animals.

I think that's what it really boils down to... Do you enjoy seeing animals?
I can't imagine skipping AK, especially the safari, but I love animals.
For people who normally get bored out of their minds at a zoo? I can see them not enjoying AK as much.
That's why you will have people saying they never miss it and then some others saying it's a waste of a ticket.

I’m with the majority here. I would not skip it. There’s plenty to do and it has great eating options. Without shows, it actually makes it a little more leisurely and you don’t have to spend all day there giving you more resort time.
we were originally going to skip AK this time around but our daughter said it wouldn’t be a trip to Disney without AK. Our plane lands at 11:00am. Do you think its realistic to do AK that day with the parks closing so early? Our main attractions would be Avatar and the safari and then just walking around.

I don't know if you mentioned in the previous posts, but who is in your travel party? I personally think anyone would enjoy it, but kids would get a kick out of the animals. It's also a great place to just walk around and take in scenery without waiting on any ride lines. Also, if you are going at a non-holiday time, I would assume your wait times would be less.

Normally, I would say it is awesome. I don't know that I can recommend going right now. There are not enough attractions and most of the live entertainment is cut. The attractions they have are first class, but you will spend almost the entirety of your day waiting in line, which really takes the fun out of a park for me.
Is Lion King showing?

I think between Pandora and the safari it's well worth it. Others are right that a lot of the performances that make AK come alive are not happening. I thought I read somewhere that Lion King was coming back, but can't remember.

we were originally going to skip AK this time around but our daughter said it wouldn’t be a trip to Disney without AK. Our plane lands at 11:00am. Do you think its realistic to do AK that day with the parks closing so early? Our main attractions would be Avatar and the safari and then just walking around.
What time does AK close that day? Once your plane lands you still have to get your luggage and get to WDW (how long does that usually take you?). And if your flight is not on time that takes another chunk out of the day. Maybe do EP on arrival day since it’s usually open later. You’ll have fun no matter what I’m sure!

We did a half day at AK a few weeks back.

Arrived before RD
Navi River (walk on)
FOP (I can't remember how long we actually waited, but it wasn't that long- less than 30 minutes for sure)
Grabbed breakfast
Kilimanjaro Safaris
Expedition Everest
Super Zoom
Expedition Everest
Animation Experience
Lunch at Harambe Market

We did all of that by 1:00 and left to go check into our resort (we were switching from Pop to Coronado). We initially were going to stay longer (hopping to Epcot for dinner), but decided we wanted a pool break instead. We would've done other things had we stayed, but we knew we'd be coming back.

What time does AK close that day? Once your plane lands you still have to get your luggage and get to WDW (how long does that usually take you?). And if your flight is not on time that takes another chunk out of the day. Maybe do EP on arrival day since it’s usually open later. You’ll have fun no matter what I’m sure!
;
Right now its saying AK is only open until 5:00 but I’m hoping they extend the hours come May. I’m considering renting a car and just going right from the airport to AK to save time.

AK is a very close tie with MK for my favorite park. It has a very different feel to me than the other parks and is a more relaxed day for us. I am sad that my all time favorite show isn't running right now (Festival of the Lion King) but it is still worth visiting, IMO. Plenty to explore and some really awesome rides to. Flights of Passage is a must.

I think AK is a good setup for half a day. It’s the least busy park right now. I’d hit the Safari and some other rides and then end with Pandora since the wait time would be shorter toward park closing and if you’re in line you’re good to go.

If you normally enjoy zoos, then I would definitely recommend going. It's such a beautiful park with wonderful non-ride attractions too. I love Kilimanjaro safaris and the trails.

The food alone makes AK worth it for us. Flametree BBQ, Pineapple Lumpia, Yak & Yeti, etc. And it is the only park with the sugared pecans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter