To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
For now we are planning for March of 2022. Have a RCI condo trade that would not be refundable and points expire at the end of March, but if we decide not to go that's just life. We are a group of vaccinated 20 somethings, 60 somethings, and my dad who will be 85. We have relatives who are vaccinated in Orlando and Tampa we will be visiting, and plans as they stand now are four park (two Disney days, SeaWorld, and Busch Gardens). The 20 somethings are skipping the visiting in Tampa at Busch Gardens and will do a one day park to park ticket at Universal instead. We all have two downtime days also. If dad still wants to go, but isn't comfortable going to the parks, some of us would do more resort time with him and save tickets for another visit. And, of course, if my dad just wanted to stay home, that's fine too. I think the rest of us would still go. As of now, though, dad is very much looking forward to the trip (timed it around Epcot Flower and Garden, something he and I have always wanted to go to that we have not gotten to yet).

I'm hoping maybe my dad will have a COVID-19 booster shot by then. That might make me feel better about his going too. He's the one I'm most concerned about. He doesn't though have any underlying health conditions. It's just that he is older. I think if I had an unvaccinated child I would probably hold off.

Sorry to see us not on better footing, and I'm hoping cases will be down soon and vaccination rates up (hoping for the best seven months from now too of course.)

Stay safe everyone. There is no right or wrong answer. Everyone has to make their own decision about what seems to be the best choice for their family.

My DH and I are in our 60's and fully vaccinated. We are going October 21-November 8th and I'm a little nervous. I'm actually more worried about coming home to my adult kids although they all have been vaccinated also you never know where you are going to pick up the virus....in the parks, getting back and forth from the parks, where you eat, at the air port...you just don't know. We are still going because as you say, we aren't getting any younger! I am going to get tested the first chance I get when I arrive back home just for my peace of mind. You all have a SAFE, HEALTHY and most of all FUN trip!
Thanks, you too!!

If vaccinated, I wouldn't have near the concerns and would practice safety precautions. But with an unvaccinated child, it's a different story. We have DLR scheduled for October and praying every day that the vaccine for under 12 comes out before our trip gets here.
I feel the same way. Both of my kids are too young to be vaccinated and we are just waiting and watching to decide what to do with our December to January trip. It’s not an easy choice. I hope that your DLR trip works out!

I’m here now. I have done many weekend trips during Covid and this is the first time I have felt very uncomfortable. My traveling party is vaccinated except for my 10-year-old daughter. We have done no table service (or quick service inside), only outdoor rides with no wait at MK during that first hour open and tried to do our best to avoid people at the pool. We are also wearing masks outside more than I thought we would because of our comfort level. We are having a nice time but I’m totally on edge a lot. It definitely takes the magic away. We are at the poly (new Moana rooms are great BTW) and are supposed to move to Beach Club today but I called and cancelled. We will head home today instead. It is just too risky and too expensive right now for the experience we are having. We recognize this is mostly due to the risks we are willing to take but I wanted to share since I know many of you are still deciding what to do. If you are even questioning it, I would delay. I have an October trip (with boo bash tickets) and a December trip planned and things will definitely need to improve with Covid before we commit to those trips.

*mods, not sure where was best to post this. Feel free ro move.

Last edited:
We just got back 8/4, whole family vaccinated and my son tested positive for Covid. He got tested because he started to feel bad on the 3rd. The rest of us have our rapid Covid tests tomorrow to see if we have it and are asymptomatic or if by some miracle he’s the only one of us to get it.
Just curious if you were there before the new mask guidelines took effect? Or were all guests masked in queues and attractions during your trip? I hope you feel better!

Just curious if you were there before the new mask guidelines took effect? Or were all guests masked in queues and attractions during your trip? I hope you feel better!
We were there when the indoor mask mandate came into effect again. We didn’t wear masks (except for transportation) as we thought we were safe since we had all been fully vaccinated. Once the indoor rules came back into place we wore our masks as required…sometimes even outside as we started to feel more uncomfortable in the crowds. It would have been easier to wear masks outside also if it wasn’t 100 degrees outside but that is the reality of Florida in the summer.

Masks went into effect July 30. Our last day was Aug 2 so the mask policy was in effect at the end of our trip. Before the mandate, most guests were not masked anywhere except transportation where enforcement was spotty. Afterwards, few were masked in the outdoor queues that we saw. Most were during the indoor portion, but we always saw some with no mask, masked pulled down completely or pulled down below their noses and there was no enforcement after people were past the check points. Transportation was better, but still spotty.

We were vigilant about mask wearing our entire trip. My grandson is the only unvaccinated one, and he wore his all the time. We didn't do indoor dining and distanced ourselves when we ate so he wasn't exposed while eating. We intentionally avoided congested areas, didn't do indoor attractions with the except of Philharmagic after the mask mandate. Our biggest risk was watching HEA and even then, we sat in the garden area and created our own little bubble to keep him separated. The rest of us wore masks indoors all the time, wore them most of the time outdoors. We stayed at the FW cabins so we weren't exposed to other people indoors at all at our resort until we moved to the BC the last 2 days of our trip when the mandate was in effect. He still got sick. Not with covid, but with a unknown viral infection. None of us did, although we are catching it from him now. Tracking the start of his symptoms and tracking when he was likely infected, he clearly had to have caught it before the mask mandate went into effect. And if he could catch an unknown virus, he could've caught covid just as easy I think. We were just lucky.

This of course is just a singular experience but what I take from it is as long as they are requiring masks, you're probably a great deal safer, but it's still going to take a lot of effort if health issues are a concern to you. I don't think we could've been much more cautious than we were and it still didn't work for us when we were in the minority wearing masks.

We are set to leave on 9/21- 2 adults both fully vacinated. This has been planned for over two years for the 50th,, first time staying deluxe ( Contemporary )- was going to do deluxe dining plan ( N/A)- flying first class.- whole nine yards... We did a quick trip in Dec ( just 4 days ) and it was totally different, less was open, masks all the time, socially distant etc. Still was got Disney Christmas magic but was a very limited experience. Not being able to walk and eat or drink was a big factor. We are concerned about how Disney would be able to back peddle and tighten the reigns if need be. They have opened up capacity, tickets have been sold, barriers have been removed, social distancing not longer really in effect. Wearing a mask outdoors for limited time in Dec tolerable, wearing a mask for 10 days in Sept, not so much. Also ability to drink and eat, food and wine, etc... I know health safety is the most important but making the decision to pay in full and not know what restrictions might be in place is something I still struggle with.

We are having a nice time but I’m totally on edge a lot. It definitely takes the magic away.

For me this is the biggest reason to cancel - even if I can convince myself that it's a fairly low risk to my unable-to-be-vaccinated kids, I just do not want to invest the time and money into a Disney vacation where I have to spend every minute monitoring the crowd levels and behavior of people around me and just generally worrying about which decision might be the one I regret; it just sounds like the opposite of relaxing.

For me this is the biggest reason to cancel - even if I can convince myself that it's a fairly low risk to my unable-to-be-vaccinated kids, I just do not want to invest the time and money into a Disney vacation where I have to spend every minute monitoring the crowd levels and behavior of people around me and just generally worrying about which decision might be the one I regret; it just sounds like the opposite of relaxing.

That was my biggest take away. We were able to make it enjoyable for my grandson, and that had ended up being my goal. But it was incredibly stressful monitioring everything and just mentally exhausting. It was nothing I would call magical at all and we won't repeat it. If the trip had been free, it still wouldn't have been worth it. Sure, we had some fun times, but overall it was just hard work. The guilt we all felt when he did get sick and we didn't know if it was Covid or not, was awful.

I am wondering if the last week in August (August 23-28) midweek and not on weekends will be less crowded than what people are currently experiencing now. The current crowd levels have me concerned but I'm not sure that will be the case the last week of August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter