To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem with postponing is... until when? Right now, I'm about 70% cancel, 30% go. (I don't need to decide for a while because we're set for December.)

But I have limited times when I can go - May works. December works. Maybe summer, but mostly May or December. So is it going to be better in May 2022? Or even December 2022?

It's just impossible to know.

And what if I push to December 2022, then get hit by a bus? I mean seriously - I had a coworker in her mid 50s. Started Covid lockdown happy as a clam (other than the lockdown). Just planning out the next half of the work year, when suddenly she doesn't show up to work. Had a terrible stomach ache, went to the ER. 5 months later, she's dead from colon cancer. Just. Like. That. Had no idea it was coming. She didn't get Covid, but she's not here today anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that everyone should go running to Disney. I probably wouldn't go today. Today, the risk is too high for me personally.

It's just that, and not to be creepy about it, but tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. I have a relative that always wanted to go to Europe. She had friends that lived there that offered her places to stay in several countries. She definitely wanted to go one day. But "one day" was always next month or next year or whatever. There was always a reason why it'd be better tomorrow. Nothing happened to her, just that she got old. Now she's more than 80, has two hip replacements, and has trouble getting around. 20 years ago, when she first started thinking about going, she could have totally tromped around Rome or taken a walk in the French countryside. That's all gone now. I don't think her health would hold up. She never consciously decided not to go, but she postponed herself right out of the opportunity.

I have a teen. He'd excited to go. 12 months from now, who knows? I might have a sullen rebel who won't want to be there.

Anyway, just some random thoughts from someone who probably won't end up going until sometime next year (hopefully).

I have a few months yet to decide, but I'll *probably* postpone to May, eat my nonrefundable plane tickets (that I have from getting a trip to Europe cancelled back when this all started), and stay away from buses.

It has been helpful to hear everyone's perspective, so thanks for that.

Good luck to everyone with your decisions!
This for sure. The same thing happened to my mom. Entered lockdown in March. Diagnosed with gallbladder cancer in June passed away in September. We had no idea, she had just turned 59. Of course people should do what they are comfortable with and feel safe with. I wouldn't take my unvaccinated 10 year old but life is short so my 2 vaccinated 18 year olds and myself (also vaccinated) will be leaving in 16 days for our 16 night trip from Ontario. We might not know if we will catch Covid but anything can happen at anytime anyway.

I’m not trying to convince anyone to go or not go. It’s such a personal decision with so many factors. Here’s my experience of recently going. I’ve been home 10 days now with no signs or symptoms of illness in me or anyone else in my travel party. Covid tests taken shortly after returning were negative.

My trip bridged the ‘no masks for vaccinated indoors’ to the newer ‘masks for everyone indoors’, so I was there for both. All adults in my travel party were fully vaccinated, kids not old enough yet. I was super nervous about the kids.

I wore kn95 masks with a fabric mask over it at the airport/on the plane/magical express both directions. The fabric mask was more because it was cute than for added protection. Most of my travel party did the same, or double-masked with a disposable surgical type mask on the bottom with a fabric mask on top for the airport/plane/bus.

Some days I double masked with a disposable surgical style mask with a fabric mask over or a kn95 with a fabric mask over (again for fashion….got to use my cute Disney masks), some days just a disposable mask, but most of my travel party did not double mask, they just used disposable surgical style masks or a fabric mask. These are the situations we masked up the entire trip, whether required or not:
  • on transportation
  • indoors (stores, attractions, restaurants if not eating/drinking)
  • in queues (indoors or outdoors)
  • outdoors when in crowds, which honestly was a lot of the time
At the beginning of the trip, we were definitely in the minority wearing masks anywhere but the buses. We used the Disney buses every day. We dined indoors at restaurants once a day. We spent time at the pool several evenings. We stayed for fireworks. Before the masks were required for all indoors, if my travel party was alone in a ride vehicle, we sometimes did take our masks off on rides. If we were with strangers or after the masks for all came back, we kept them on. We all had our own hand sanitizer bottles attached to our bags and sanitized after getting off attractions.

Would I do it again? I don’t know. It’s hard to know if our decision to mask up most of the time when we were around other people is what kept us all safe or if we just got lucky. I definitely went back and forth a lot about the indoor dining, but in the heat, the draw of a nice AC break won out. We did have a good time, but with the crowd levels what they were and almost all the previous covid safety precautions not in place for the beginning part of our trip, there was always that worry in the back of my mind.
My experience is almost identical to yours, except that we didn't do any indoor dining or take transportation, but we didn't double-mask. Personally, if I had known a few weeks earlier what was coming, we wouldn't have gone. The worry and stress took more of a toll on me than I would have expected. Part of that was the crowds, too - we somehow managed to be there at the worst time both for COVID and for crowds!

So we were there during the week they reinstated masks. We wore masks voluntarily indoors the whole time. We are indoors 3 times plus at the airport. Didn’t spend more than an hour or 2 at the parks each day. 2 days after we got home DH got a cough. 3 days later he tested positive for covid. He is fully vaccinated. We were there 8 days, so highly unlikely he had it before the trip since he works from home and is basically a hermit.

This debate (to go or not to go) is deja vu of what I went through last year at exactly this time. Trips planned in September and late November, cases sky high in Florida and low at home. I made lots of charts and tried on many different kinds of masks to see how I tolerated them. Finally decided to go, but to only eat outdoors.

By the time September rolled around, cases had plummeted in Florida and were 3x as high at home. The trip gave me a huge mental health boost, and I was very glad I didn’t cancel! I ended up going four times between September and May, followed all Disney’s protocols, did what I was comfortable with depending on the situation, and enjoyed myself tremendously.

I currently have a trips planned in December, February, and April. Nobody knows what the pandemic situation will be by then, things change so quickly even the “experts” have no idea. I’m vaxed and will jump on boosters when available to give a little extra peace of mind. If there came a time that I was not comfortable with traveling, I’d cancel. It’s such an personal decision with a lot of feelings involved - You can only do what‘s right for your individual situation.

Part of the problem with postponing is... until when? Right now, I'm about 70% cancel, 30% go. (I don't need to decide for a while because we're set for December.)

But I have limited times when I can go - May works. December works. Maybe summer, but mostly May or December. So is it going to be better in May 2022? Or even December 2022?

It's just impossible to know.

And what if I push to December 2022, then get hit by a bus? I mean seriously - I had a coworker in her mid 50s. Started Covid lockdown happy as a clam (other than the lockdown). Just planning out the next half of the work year, when suddenly she doesn't show up to work. Had a terrible stomach ache, went to the ER. 5 months later, she's dead from colon cancer. Just. Like. That. Had no idea it was coming. She didn't get Covid, but she's not here today anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that everyone should go running to Disney. I probably wouldn't go today. Today, the risk is too high for me personally.

It's just that, and not to be creepy about it, but tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. I have a relative that always wanted to go to Europe. She had friends that lived there that offered her places to stay in several countries. She definitely wanted to go one day. But "one day" was always next month or next year or whatever. There was always a reason why it'd be better tomorrow. Nothing happened to her, just that she got old. Now she's more than 80, has two hip replacements, and has trouble getting around. 20 years ago, when she first started thinking about going, she could have totally tromped around Rome or taken a walk in the French countryside. That's all gone now. I don't think her health would hold up. She never consciously decided not to go, but she postponed herself right out of the opportunity.

I have a teen. He'd excited to go. 12 months from now, who knows? I might have a sullen rebel who won't want to be there.

Anyway, just some random thoughts from someone who probably won't end up going until sometime next year (hopefully).

I have a few months yet to decide, but I'll *probably* postpone to May, eat my nonrefundable plane tickets (that I have from getting a trip to Europe cancelled back when this all started), and stay away from buses.

It has been helpful to hear everyone's perspective, so thanks for that.

Good luck to everyone with your decisions!

Solid post, and the part about your coworker really hit home with me. My dad developed a pain on his side while we were on vacation one summer. He was playing tennis, and said it just felt like a cramp. Came home, went for tests. He had colon cancer. That was in August 1982. He passed away less than a year later. He was 44.

So we were there during the week they reinstated masks. We wore masks voluntarily indoors the whole time. We are indoors 3 times plus at the airport. Didn’t spend more than an hour or 2 at the parks each day. 2 days after we got home DH got a cough. 3 days later he tested positive for covid. He is fully vaccinated. We were there 8 days, so highly unlikely he had it before the trip since he works from home and is basically a hermit.

Hope your husband is recovering well! :flower3:

Went in July for a bachelorette with a fully vaccinated bridal party. Ate indoors at 3 sit down restaurants and took Disney buses. I masked all the time, indoors and out, except when eating. Couldn't distance easily with crowds, but when eating/drinking outdoors tried to move away from others. Wore a KN95 with a surgical mask on the plane. Tested negative seven days after return. Three members of the bridal party tested positive between 5 and 7 days after return; they didn't wear masks unless on transport. All had mild cold symptoms with cough; no hospitalizations.

Personally, while I had a good time I won't be back to Disney until my kids are fully vaccinated and the covid numbers go way down. Our November trip is cancelled and February is up in the air. Good luck whatever you decide!

This for sure. The same thing happened to my mom. Entered lockdown in March. Diagnosed with gallbladder cancer in June passed away in September. We had no idea, she had just turned 59. Of course people should do what they are comfortable with and feel safe with. I wouldn't take my unvaccinated 10 year old but life is short so my 2 vaccinated 18 year olds and myself (also vaccinated) will be leaving in 16 days for our 16 night trip from Ontario. We might not know if we will catch Covid but anything can happen at anytime anyway.

Sorry about your mom ! Reading the posts, it doesnt seem like many people are planning unvaccinated children that are not old enough for the vaccine. We went in July 14-28. Myself and DD15 both vaxxed.... DS10- not. Didnt worry much until we got there, and saw the crowds.... we had a great time basically avoiding the parks !! Only went a few hours a day, and only did the parks 7 days. Now, we have been invited back to Orlando by friends that have a timeshare. My kids want to go, but I really worry about my son. Have no idea what to do yet.

I’m not trying to convince anyone to go or not go. It’s such a personal decision with so many factors. Here’s my experience of recently going. I’ve been home 10 days now with no signs or symptoms of illness in me or anyone else in my travel party. Covid tests taken shortly after returning were negative.

My trip bridged the ‘no masks for vaccinated indoors’ to the newer ‘masks for everyone indoors’, so I was there for both. All adults in my travel party were fully vaccinated, kids not old enough yet. I was super nervous about the kids.

I wore kn95 masks with a fabric mask over it at the airport/on the plane/magical express both directions. The fabric mask was more because it was cute than for added protection. Most of my travel party did the same, or double-masked with a disposable surgical type mask on the bottom with a fabric mask on top for the airport/plane/bus.

Some days I double masked with a disposable surgical style mask with a fabric mask over or a kn95 with a fabric mask over (again for fashion….got to use my cute Disney masks), some days just a disposable mask, but most of my travel party did not double mask, they just used disposable surgical style masks or a fabric mask. These are the situations we masked up the entire trip, whether required or not:
  • on transportation
At the beginning of the trip, we were definitely in the minority wearing masks anywhere but the buses. We used the Disney buses every day. We dined indoors at restaurants once a day. We spent time at the pool several evenings. We stayed for fireworks. Before the masks were required for all indoors, if my travel party was alone in a ride vehicle, we sometimes did take our masks off on rides. If we were with strangers or after the masks for all came back, we kept them on. We all had our own hand sanitizer bottles attached to our bags and sanitized after getting off attractions.

Would I do it again? I don’t know. It’s hard to know if our decision to mask up most of the time when we were around other people is what kept us all safe or if we just got lucky. I definitely went back and forth a lot about the indoor dining, but in the heat, the draw of a nice AC break won out. We did have a good time, but with the crowd levels what they were and almost all the previous covid safety precautions not in place for the beginning part of our trip, there was always that worry in the back of my mind.
Thanks for sharing - we are planning to do the same in November. 2 vaccinated adults with masks is easier than a family with kids and grandparents. I am hoping things will be better. If we were going next week I would cancel and I wouldn’t bring unvaccinated kids. Keeping good thoughts for everyone traveling now.

Oh! So scary! I hope he's feeling better and you are ok.

I’m so sorry 😞

Sorry about your mom ! Reading the posts, it doesnt seem like many people are planning unvaccinated children that are not old enough for the vaccine. We went in July 14-28. Myself and DD15 both vaxxed.... DS10- not. Didnt worry much until we got there, and saw the crowds.... we had a great time basically avoiding the parks !! Only went a few hours a day, and only did the parks 7 days. Now, we have been invited back to Orlando by friends that have a timeshare. My kids want to go, but I really worry about my son. Have no idea what to do yet.
I’m so sorry 😞
Thank you both. 2020 was a crap year for a lot of people. I'll be in Disney on the one year anniversary remembering our mother daughter trip in 2018.

I'm still in the 'not go' camp. Covid is still with us and a vacation is something you don't have to do. Being in denial or wishful thinking/optimistic rhetoric has never prevented anyone from getting covid. Disney will still be there after covid is behind us. Part of the reason covid is still around is people wanted to rush back to 'normal', I can wait.

I'm still in the 'not go' camp. Covid is still with us and a vacation is something you don't have to do. Being in denial or wishful thinking/optimistic rhetoric has never prevented anyone from getting covid. Disney will still be there after covid is behind us. Part of the reason covid is still around is people wanted to rush back to 'normal', I can wait.

I just watched a report on one of the news channels--- the fact that this variant is affecting so many children is terribly frightening. We were planning on heading back to Florida end of the month, but thinking now we have to cancel. Dont want to have to worry about my DS10- worried enough on the trip we just returned from.

Went 7/7-7/14. Had symptoms by 7/17 & then tested positive. DH & I are vaccinated. DS too young. Still getting over being sick.
Oh wow!
Did you wear masks while there? We are going the last week in August. We are vaccinated, but just wonder if masks even make a difference.

• on transportation

This is so helpful and encouraging, thank you for sharing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter