To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the problem with postponing is... until when? Right now, I'm about 70% cancel, 30% go. (I don't need to decide for a while because we're set for December.)

But I have limited times when I can go - May works. December works. Maybe summer, but mostly May or December. So is it going to be better in May 2022? Or even December 2022?

It's just impossible to know.

And what if I push to December 2022, then get hit by a bus? I mean seriously - I had a coworker in her mid 50s. Started Covid lockdown happy as a clam (other than the lockdown). Just planning out the next half of the work year, when suddenly she doesn't show up to work. Had a terrible stomach ache, went to the ER. 5 months later, she's dead from colon cancer. Just. Like. That. Had no idea it was coming. She didn't get Covid, but she's not here today anyway.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that everyone should go running to Disney. I probably wouldn't go today. Today, the risk is too high for me personally.

It's just that, and not to be creepy about it, but tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. I have a relative that always wanted to go to Europe. She had friends that lived there that offered her places to stay in several countries. She definitely wanted to go one day. But "one day" was always next month or next year or whatever. There was always a reason why it'd be better tomorrow. Nothing happened to her, just that she got old. Now she's more than 80, has two hip replacements, and has trouble getting around. 20 years ago, when she first started thinking about going, she could have totally tromped around Rome or taken a walk in the French countryside. That's all gone now. I don't think her health would hold up. She never consciously decided not to go, but she postponed herself right out of the opportunity.

I have a teen. He'd excited to go. 12 months from now, who knows? I might have a sullen rebel who won't want to be there.

Anyway, just some random thoughts from someone who probably won't end up going until sometime next year (hopefully).

I have a few months yet to decide, but I'll *probably* postpone to May, eat my nonrefundable plane tickets (that I have from getting a trip to Europe cancelled back when this all started), and stay away from buses.

It has been helpful to hear everyone's perspective, so thanks for that.

Good luck to everyone with your decisions!

Your point which I bolded above, hits the nail on the head for me as the mental math I am doing. The past 10 years ( 2020 cancelled) its been my mom, and my two kids to WDW end of Aug/beg Sept. They were glorious times. FD and other deals, low crowds. Then Covid hit.. Covid hit as my kids were 13/14 and now they are 15/16. My son who is 16 already is like "I am doing my own thing" for vacation, my DD who is 15 still really wants Disney and now HP at univerasl. And wants mommy vacation time. This might be the last chance now with her. Also financially the money is there, but its insane spending 3000 grand for this trip for us 2 for 10 day. Thats tons of money! I need a new kitchen and a new couch, but I dont care. DD was like what about the Halloween party. I said listen that is too much and we are already doing this.. Maybe we now do it,, might seriously be the last chance.

Tomorrow is not guarenteed and I seriously see the days of my kids vacationing with us soon ending and that depresses me.

I was supposed to arrive at 11:30 this morning for an extended weekend with my daughter at WDW. She lives 40 minutes away from Disney and developed covid symptoms on Monday. She tested positive yesterday. I canceled yesterday.

She has been careful- wearing masks and social distancing when possible. She and all of her friends in her area have been vaccinated. Still,12 of them have developed break through cases in the last couple of weeks. Half came with symptoms. The other half were asymptomatic cases detected through testing required by their employers. Several of these young 20 somethings work remotely.

Something else noteworthy is that finding a covid test quickly in Central Florida right now is very challenging. Appointments are booking up days out, and local community testing centers have hours long lines. Many people have to wait days to find out their test results. Our daughter was very lucky find a spot quickly. It took her hours of searching online before an appointment popped up.

Just wanted to share her experience with the group to help others make their own decisions about their travel plans. Hope all stay safe and well.

If we do go, I'm planning to bring our own tests with us. My employer is giving home tests out now and I will order extras for my family. Definitely concerned about going though and still on the fence. Trip is a month from today.

My kids go to public school, so honestly, I don't see any difference in going to Disney World.

My kids go to public school with no mask mandate or actually any covid precautions at all, but for me there is a pretty huge difference - their school has 900 people; Disney has tens of thousands. Sheer numbers-wise, it's a greater risk, which plays pretty heavily into my decision not to go. If just their school population were going to WDW, we would still go since as you point out they're already with them.

My kids go to public school with no mask mandate or actually any covid precautions at all, but for me there is a pretty huge difference - their school has 900 people; Disney has tens of thousands. Sheer numbers-wise, it's a greater risk, which plays pretty heavily into my decision not to go. If just their school population were going to WDW, we would still go since as you point out they're already with them.
Totally fair point. You could also argue that when they are at school, they are sitting shoulder to shoulder at lunch with kids, sharing equipment at PE, sharing keyboards during computer lab, etc. The difference for me is when they are with me on vacation, they will have on masks, we will have our own car, I will be making them sanitize and social distance. It is highly possible that my comfort level comes from a semblance of control that may be imagined, or real. But - isn't that true of every decision we are making with regard to Covid? At the end of the day, we have to make decisions we are comfortable with - some of that comfort is imagined and some of it is real. Hopefully - I make a decision that lies somewhere in the middle that provides a balance between reasonable caution but also making wonderful memories.

If we do go, I'm planning to bring our own tests with us. My employer is giving home tests out now and I will order extras for my family. Definitely concerned about going though and still on the fence. Trip is a month from today.

This is a really good idea. Had I known how the situation would be before I got there, I would have brought at-home tests with me and tested halfway through the trip or if anyone in my traveling party got symptoms, in addition to the testing we did a few days after we got home (testing where I live is currently plentiful, so access to that isn’t as much of an issue as testing while at WDW). I saw the at-home tests for a little more than $20 at CVS the other day.

If I lived somewhere with high community spread, I’d also consider testing a day or two before I left with one of the at home quick tests just to be on the safe side that I wasn’t bringing anything with me.

I have another short trip scheduled early next year, so these are all good things to consider for me depending on the covid situation at that time if I decide to go. I am waffling about whether I think I want to cancel or not based on my recent experience, but really, it’s too soon to know what the situation will be like 6 months from now.

One more piece of info about my recent experience. I mentioned some of my party just wore fabric masks in the parks. They really liked them and found them not too hot and as comfortable as any face mask can be in 100+ ”feels like” temps. They used Enro brand. I opted for mostly disposables in the parks (or disposables under a fabric mask) because I didn’t want to deal with washing sweaty fabric masks, but I have some Enro masks I use at work and they do fit well (you pick your size based on your face measurements) and are light weight while still being three layers. They come in child and adult sizes. Sadly, unless you wear an Adult Large size, they appear to be sold out of all the designs I checked. A brand to keep an eye on though if you’re looking for comfortable reusable masks and don’t need them right away.

For those that are deciding to go and modifying their Disney experience, what kind of things are you planning on doing? For example, we won't be doing any sit down meals inside, but are comfortable walking around EpCot Food and Wine, or going to a park when not as crowded and walking around. What other places would you feel comfortable eating (grab inside, eat outside)? What other activities would you do? I am just trying to build a list of things we can do while continuing to be safe (masking indoors and out, social distance as much as possible, eat outside, away from crowds, rides when "walk-on" is available, one VIP day).

Tomorrow is not guarenteed and I seriously see the days of my kids vacationing with us soon ending and that depresses me.

I traveled a lot with my kids when they were little, Disney and also overseas. I'm happy to say that my 30 year old daughter still loves to take trips with me! We'll be in Orlando in December (hopefully...!).

Exactly. I have the opinion I have because I am traveling from North Texas. Our numbers are, and have been, following a similar track as Orlando/Florida. So, I personally don't feel at any higher risk there than I do here. Now, that perspective would likely be different if I lived in an area with completely different percentages/numbers.

Same. We're coming from the DFW area and I have the exact same thought process.

For those that are deciding to go and modifying their Disney experience, what kind of things are you planning on doing? For example, we won't be doing any sit down meals inside, but are comfortable walking around EpCot Food and Wine, or going to a park when not as crowded and walking around. What other places would you feel comfortable eating (grab inside, eat outside)? What other activities would you do? I am just trying to build a list of things we can do while continuing to be safe (masking indoors and out, social distance as much as possible, eat outside, away from crowds, rides when "walk-on" is available, one VIP day).
Aren’t we all funny! I’ve done the opposite. I’m now *thinking* I’ll avoid F&W entirely. Too much touching and sharing and people! The only day I could go was a Friday and I think the locals will be there in droves. On the other hand, I’ve added more ADRs because I like to sit at my own table and know the food was prepared away from the masses.
My other plans are swimming, double-masking, and just being relaxed about what I have to do

Last edited:
We have been twice since reopening. We were cautious, wearing masks, washing hands, social distancing and never felt any risk. My niece just went with her 7 month old twins. She used common sense and the she and the kids are great.

I’m not trying to convince anyone to go or not go. It’s such a personal decision with so many factors. Here’s my experience of recently going. I’ve been home 10 days now with no signs or symptoms of illness in me or anyone else in my travel party. Covid tests taken shortly after returning were negative.

My trip bridged the ‘no masks for vaccinated indoors’ to the newer ‘masks for everyone indoors’, so I was there for both. All adults in my travel party were fully vaccinated, kids not old enough yet. I was super nervous about the kids.

I wore kn95 masks with a fabric mask over it at the airport/on the plane/magical express both directions. The fabric mask was more because it was cute than for added protection. Most of my travel party did the same, or double-masked with a disposable surgical type mask on the bottom with a fabric mask on top for the airport/plane/bus.

Some days I double masked with a disposable surgical style mask with a fabric mask over or a kn95 with a fabric mask over (again for fashion….got to use my cute Disney masks), some days just a disposable mask, but most of my travel party did not double mask, they just used disposable surgical style masks or a fabric mask. These are the situations we masked up the entire trip, whether required or not:
  • on transportation
  • indoors (stores, attractions, restaurants if not eating/drinking)
  • in queues (indoors or outdoors)
  • outdoors when in crowds, which honestly was a lot of the time
At the beginning of the trip, we were definitely in the minority wearing masks anywhere but the buses. We used the Disney buses every day. We dined indoors at restaurants once a day. We spent time at the pool several evenings. We stayed for fireworks. Before the masks were required for all indoors, if my travel party was alone in a ride vehicle, we sometimes did take our masks off on rides. If we were with strangers or after the masks for all came back, we kept them on. We all had our own hand sanitizer bottles attached to our bags and sanitized after getting off attractions.

Would I do it again? I don’t know. It’s hard to know if our decision to mask up most of the time when we were around other people is what kept us all safe or if we just got lucky. I definitely went back and forth a lot about the indoor dining, but in the heat, the draw of a nice AC break won out. We did have a good time, but with the crowd levels what they were and almost all the previous covid safety precautions not in place for the beginning part of our trip, there was always that worry in the back of my mind.
Very nice write-up. It seems you and your group went above and beyond, but if that's what makes one comfortable, nothing wrong with that.

I am vaccinated, my wife (who is head nurse at a facility and has been doing triage for COVID 18 months now) is vaccinated, my daughter and son in law are vaccinated...but our 4 and 2 yo granddaughters are not. We go for 4 days near the end of October. Hopefully the crowds won't be ridiculous. If still required, we will mask up inside and wherever else they mandate. Won't mask up outside. I'd give my reasoning but this board doesn't want us talking science and statistics...so suffice to say we looked at the actual variables and see no reason to go through that song and dance.

We will not be doing any major rides since the girls are so young...mostly just doing a few kids rides like IASW and Peter Pan...you get the idea. And ensure the girls wear a mask inside those rides. We will be staying at Shades of Green so will likely eat most of our meals there...except hopefully a character breakfast for the girls.

What I think it comes down to is personal risk acceptable and being smart about what you do and how you do it. I'm sure as time grows closer if the variables change one way or another, conversations will be had. Hopefully it all turns in favor of travel. Cheers!!

We were going down for the DisFamily Reunion but I think I may pass on most of the scheduled events. We'll do F&W, stay out of crowded lines, Uber/Lyft more than normal(not that it's necessarily safer), hang by the pool with a couple cocktails a few days, and will go to 2 Boo Bash nights for lower crowds. I've been so many times that I don't feel like I even need to do any attractions. But I'll wear my mask everywhere that has a bit of a crowd indoor/outdoor.

Someone may have said this earlier but I'll reiterate - if you're wondering about things, checking out livestreams is illuminating ...

Oooo..never thought about doing this! Do you have any livestream recommendations?
Thank you.

Oooo..never thought about doing this! Do you have any livestream recommendations?
Thank you.
I watched the ResortTV1 livestream of Boo Bash last night. When I saw them trying to walk up Main Street, against the flow of traffic, with everyone leaving after Happily Ever After ended to get back into the hub for the event.. I don't think the moderators will allow me to voice my opinion, but I would recommend anyone watch for themselves.

Our DVIc trip is in December. I'm hoping things are less sketchy by then because we would like to eat in some restaurants. We are vaccinated and wear masks regardless. Ugh.

A thought on "only eating outside". Last month we went on a rafting trip, with a short hotel stay on either side. Our intent was "only eating outside". The problem was, it was HOT. Like miserably hot. We ended up eating inside in the air conditioning a handful of times (we would be out and about, so couldn't just go eat in our hotel room.)

I imagine Disney in the summer would be similar. Intentions to eat inside, but then you need the air conditioning break.

I'm still 99% sure I'm going for my September trip - going to the GKTW event and staying a total of 6 nights to get in some park time as well as attending the panels. I am vaccinated and I plan on being as careful as possible with hand sanitizer, washing hands often, wearing masks indoors and outdoors if I feel uncomfortable. I live in NC and we're spiking big time. I think it's going to be everywhere. I know I'll be in close proximity WITH THOUSANDS of people but I'm trying to remain as hopeful as possible that the peak in Orlando will subside... although I realize that is probably wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter