To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check their reviews, they are horrible in the US. I looked into renting from them back in December, but the reviews were so bad I didn’t want to chance it. YMMV, but it may not be worth it. And I don’t believe they are located at the airport. That’s a deal breaker for me.
They are at the airport. Thx Need to read the reviews curious what they are about - odd seeing they are a well established German company since cars existed- But local staff can make or break a reputation.
I live in Germany and have only rented them locally. Normally in Orlando I go with Alamo since we’ve only stayed at Disney before and it’s been so convenient dropping car off at the dolphin, which by the way now is closed. The issue with our trip right now is that we are doing WDW and Universal. . YAnd through my online research I have learned if you’re in WDW it’s Alamo world and Universal is Avis. This trip has been the worst with car rental stress. It wouldn’t be so bad if we would pick and drop the car off at the airport. But we would like to leave the car at Universal. So in my case it makes sense to drop the sixt car off I just Uber over to Universal
We have a car booked thru Sixt for mid-Sept, booked back in April. This will be our 7th time using them in Orlando but the first time since they now have a counter at the airport. Hooray! We used to have to take a 5 minute shuttle over which wasn't bad considering the car and savings, but MUCH prefer just getting it all done at MCO. We have BMWx7 Sun-Sat for $423.

Zero complaints so far and a couple fantastic experiences. We've gotten Mercedes GLS class SUV with 7 miles on it, brand new! Another time a drunk driver hit us, we hadn't paid for 'extra' insurance thru Sixt, all we did was give them the police report when returning the car and they handled everything. That was a Mercedes GLS too and the drunk crumpled and broke the back left side, likely over $5k damage. Never heard another peep about it from Sixt or our own insurance and have used Sixt many times since.

Has anyone been struggling with anxiety around going/not going? Even though I know logically my friends and I are fully prepared (masks, sanitizer, wipes, rapid covid tests) it just is hard to shake the worry. I would just reschedule, but the tickets are comps that expire at the end of September. I guess I'm just curious how other people have come to a decision/to read recent experiences. We are 3 fully vaccinated people in our 20s, no major health issues.

Has anyone been struggling with anxiety around going/not going? Even though I know logically my friends and I are fully prepared (masks, sanitizer, wipes, rapid covid tests) it just is hard to shake the worry. I would just reschedule, but the tickets are comps that expire at the end of September. I guess I'm just curious how other people have come to a decision/to read recent experiences. We are 3 fully vaccinated people in our 20s, no major health issues.
Our decision to go is based on the following:
1. We live in Germany and are limited on how often or when we can go. If we cancel now, it will be next year, if even.. No pushing to fall, winter or spring.
2. Covid exhaustion and for my DD it has seriously become a mental health issue. Yes I know " 1st world problems" but there is more to it.
3.. We are vaxxed, young and healthy.
4. We are wearingN95s indoors and surgical outdoors if it gets crazy crowded... if not, masks off
5. We can avoid indoor dining- no WDW transportation.
6. Crowds will be a bit lower than a few week ago.
7. We are well rehearsed on WDW. We have been many times, so if a ride line is insane packed with people we skip it. No must dos.. We are happy walking about the park. Which I compare to being in a park at home.. But we are well rehearsed and know strategy to avoid people. Ex. During the pre- Fireworks mass converging of bodies in the hub and during we will be in the relative dead back of frontierland and wait for crowds to leave before heading out.

If it wasnt the fact we are WDW " experts, lol" we would cancel. If this were my first time it would be simply overwhelming for me know really knowing what to expect.. But I know how crowds usually work, and know how to plan a missed or changed opportunity in things we want to do.

But yes there is anxiety still. there is still that back of the mind what ifs,, We fly stand by.. So I am used to a bit of it due to seasonal tropocal stuff. But after almost 2 years of this. " I really dont care" I've protected myself and my daughter via the shot and will continue to take measures ( mask wearing , avoid crowded indorr stuff ) and will move on with life.

Has anyone been struggling with anxiety around going/not going? Even though I know logically my friends and I are fully prepared (masks, sanitizer, wipes, rapid covid tests) it just is hard to shake the worry. I would just reschedule, but the tickets are comps that expire at the end of September. I guess I'm just curious how other people have come to a decision/to read recent experiences. We are 3 fully vaccinated people in our 20s

I was terribly anxious at the beginning of the month. Most of my anxiety was because I didn’t know what I should do. I hate indecision. I have decided to go for several reasons.

1) I’m seeing lots of people who say they have very little exposure at home so they are cancelling. Makes perfect sense
2) if it’s going to be a ton of work and you don’t want to do it, I’d cancel.
3) I completely believe you can travel right now safely with children, but it’s more work. I’ve done two Covid trips with my 6-yr-old and it’s a nonstop parenting extravaganza
4) I’m fine with spending time in the resort eating take out and reading if the parks seem too crowded, but latest wait times look glorious and I’m thinking that won’t be necessary— if you’ll be angry at avoiding danger, don’t go.
6) My trip is super short. I would personally not want to make a super long trip now because of the reduced availability of medical care in Florida. I’ll be home in 3 nights.

Last edited:

We are still totally on the fence. 2 adults- both vax'ed-Yes the decision is causing me anxiety.. Afraid which ever way I go, I will second guess myself. We are going to PIF and then if we need to reschedule , we will do so. I do not believe the airline will be as flexible though. It is American Airlines andthe flights already rescheduled from our cancelled cruises last May and Oct so Im not sure what they will allow at this point. Praying and watching...

There is a testing site by AdventHealth available at Orlando International Airport with plenty of availability for both Antigen and PCR test. https://centracare.adventhealth.com/urgent-care/covid-19-testing-orlando-international-airport

I read on another forum that the cost for testing at the airport was $175 oop. Since we've never paid for testing here at all, I was really surprised to find that in Florida, or at least near WDW, the only way to get tested promptly was to pay for it.

Do you have the ability to change the dates on your comped tickets? We purchased tickets before the pandemic, and the expiration dates were extended until the end of September. I called yesterday to change the dates to next summer. I had to pay a little extra for the price bridging to the new prices, but it ended up being a little less than $6 per ticket per day.

I read on another forum that the cost for testing at the airport was $175 oop. Since we've never paid for testing here at all, I was really surprised to find that in Florida, or at least near WDW, the only way to get tested promptly was to pay for it.
Their target group though aren’t American WDW visitors with a scratch in their throat and freaking out. but international travelers who are required a PCR test as required many countries of entry. That’s a lot though comparative to other markets. 😡

Do you have the ability to change the dates on your comped tickets? We purchased tickets before the pandemic, and the expiration dates were extended until the end of September. I called yesterday to change the dates to next summer. I had to pay a little extra for the price bridging to the new prices, but it ended up being a little less than $6 per ticket per day.
Oh good! Did you buy them from Disney? Mine expire September too, but we bought them from a UT.

All adults fully vaxxed? Not a second thought or anxiety at all about going. I don't have kids, especially younger ones, but I could see how that could change one's mind.

I just want to thank everyone for your thoughtful responses, it has helped me feel a lot more calm! Unfortunately the tickets are the comp tickets my friend earned as a former cast member, they were allowed to keep them but they have a very firm expiration date. I feel a lot better after reading what everyone said.

Their target group though aren’t American WDW visitors with a scratch in their throat and freaking out. but international travelers who are required a PCR test as required many countries of entry. That’s a lot though comparative to other markets. 😡

Well, to be clear, my grandson's symptoms weren't just a scratch in throat- fever, cough, vomiting, aches etc. and we weren't freaking out, we were concerned and thought it warranted being looked at. My point is, the airport isn't really a great option for guests who get sick at WDW with symptoms that could signal covid.

Last edited:

Unfortunately no. Disney already extended the dates on the Comps. September is it, unless they decide to extend them for everybody. It's an all or nothing kind of situation. I can answer as we too just had to use up expiring Comps, which was a big factor in deciding to go.

My wife and I are seniors. We are flying and will be staying at OKW. We both have had our vaccinations. We are looking forward to our late October trip. We are planning on splitting up our 7 day stay going to and staying outside the parks. Probably just 3 days in the parks and only if fast pass is back. We have done this before and truly enjoyed it. We have found that taking advantage of the resorts activities, the recreation activities available and Disney Springs for shopping and restaurants is a lot of fun and not near the hassle as the parks.

Well, to be clear, my grandson's symptoms weren't just a scratch in throat- fever, cough, vomiting, aches etc. and we weren't freaking out, we were concerned and though it warranted being looked at. My point is, the airport isn't really a great option for guests who get sick at WDW with symptoms that could signal covid.
It shouldn’t be an option as other faster options should be available to the general population - especially those with symptoms. With unfortunately is not and families like you suffer. My anger face was directed at the price gauging. Airport testing as a screening for travelers shouldn’t be the only option for sick people. In fact a dangerous situation putting sick people in the same testing facility with “healthy” travelers needing a negative result to travel. FL needs to get their act together.

Yeah, I flip flop everyday. I'm calling my Doc tomorrow to see if I can get the 3rd Moderna shot since I do qualify. After that a flu shot and I will feel much better about going.

Yeah, I flip flop everyday. I'm calling my Doc tomorrow to see if I can get the 3rd Moderna shot since I do qualify. After that a flu shot and I will feel much better about going.
Do mean the booster shot? I didn’t think they were available yet.

Do mean the booster shot? I didn’t think they were available yet.

Those who are seriously immuno-compromised- organ transplants, cancer etc have been recommended to get the booster, in which case, those people probably shouldn't be going to WDW anyway. I was hoping they'd extend it to seniors and at generally higher risk categories, but not so far.

Those who are seriously immuno-compromised- organ transplants, cancer etc have been recommended to get the booster, in which case, those people probably shouldn't be going to WDW anyway. I was hoping they'd extend it to seniors and at generally higher risk categories, but not so far.
I am not immuno- compromised but have been under the care of an oncologist for 15 years due to past cancers. I am high risk so that is why I'm calling him tomorrow. Also, I have been to WDW twice post-Covid and live in Brevard County. Might be safer at WDW. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter