• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Airlines is still allowing cancellations/changes (changes as long as you did not pick basic economy seats) and reinstatement of miles. I know because I cancelled my trip twice in the past 2 weeks. 😖

I'm so torn. I haven't been since November 2019. I've been jonesin' to go! This is the first time I've missed a year since I was 3 years old.

Back in April my aunt and I booked a trip for the week before this coming Thanksgiving. (My sister and her partner are/were planning to possibly slide in and join us at a later date, their circumstances permitting, although at the moment it's just me and my aunt.) We have a 2-bedroom at OKW booked via my DVC membership.

I'm 42, and have risk factors related to my weight, mild asthma, and type 2 diabetes, although I'm otherwise healthy. My aunt will be 68 and has only age-related risk factors, she's very healthy and fit.

Right now, all we have are the plane tickets, which are relatively inexpensive - I just looked and it appears Delta will allow us to change the flights to any date before the tickets expire, or to cancel without a fee - and the DVC room, which I think we'll just lose the points if we end up not going. I don't love that, but it's happened before and I've survived the loss. ;) We haven't bought the big-ticket items yet (literally: the park tickets!)

Now I'm not sure if we should go ahead with it or not? We're both vaxxed and I have N-95 masks I can bring on the trip with us. I was planning to do all our reservations and ticket-buying and planning in September, and September is approaching... it's a dilemma. I don't think any trip to Disney is worth getting this disease.

But I think our overall "risk basket" is relatively low? Or am I minimizing my own risk factors here because I generally feel healthy despite weight, asthma, and well-controlled diabetes?

Ugh.

Just pulled the trigger on rescheduling our October trip to February. We are all vaccinated except my 9yo daughter. I was going back and forth. Now that we have made the decision I feel that it was best for our family. good luck to all still wrestling with this decision.

Is anyone else considering canceling because of the lack of availability of hospital beds in Fl? We have been vaccinated and I’m not excessively worried about Covid. I’m considering canceling because I’m not sure if we could get a bed in an emergency. Thoughts?
This thread was merged with the 'To Go or Not To Go' thread as it is one of the many questions people are asking when deciding if a Disney Trip is for them right now.

Well, today is the day I've been dreading, 31 days before my trip. I have to make a decision today or my DVC points will going into holding and risk going unused. I never thought we'd be here when the trip was booked and I'm so depressed. I'm encouraged by everyone's most recent reports of very low crowds, but the likelihood of crowds staying that low a month from now seem unlikely. How can we keep doing this 😞
I am about a week behind you and I've had this trip planned for over a year. According to Touring Plans, it looks like our check-in date of 9/26 will be OK but then it gets insane for 9/30 and after.

REMINDER:

The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

Have a great time!!!

I’m not worried about needing a hospital bed because of Covid. I’m thinking of accidents, chest pains, allergic reaction, etc. I doubt we will need a hospital bed but I do worry about emergencies.
I have a friend that works for Advent health in Orlando, it is a real concern in all fairness. If your trip is soon, and your honestly worried about something like that, I’d give it real thought. I’m about to go on my 7th trip since reopening, and speaking from experience, it’s not a lot of fun to have that kind of trip anxiety while there. My husband has a heart condition, and my youngest has other medical issues, and if they were going on this trip (they aren’t) I would hesitate for the simple fact that something could go wrong. We all hope it won’t, but we’ve had to go to get medical attention more than once so it’s a real fear some times.

all that to say it also depends on when your trip is. If it’s soon I’d give pause if that’s a concern (and you wouldn’t have asked if it wasn’t), if it’s in another month or more I’d wait and see how things are going before canceling.

FWIW, We went twice during COVID, in January 2021 and June 2021. In January, the parks were very crowd-controlled and social distancing was strict. Masks were everywhere except when seated at a restaurant and that was well-enforced. We felt WDW was doing an excellent job. In June, numbers had gone down so much that we felt very comfortable, even taking my older parents (everyone is fully vaccinated). We even enjoyed the blissful mask-free window of mid-June, when cases were SO LOW.
I would not go now, and will not until this is all over. In part, I feel WDW has just surrendered and thrown up their hands regarding the virus and is now desperately grabbing for cash: too crowded, masks barely in use, no testing sites (they had one in January on Disney property at an administration building, open to public). (News: cases are higher than ever! WDW: Let's open a buffet!) But the main reason is that if something else happened, we would be largely unable to secure quick, safe care. For example, years ago when my DD was 7, she came down with an ear infection. We caught it early, took her to a clinic (which was arranged by the hotel) and that's that. She was better the next day. If something happened like that now, clinics and hospitals are not able to accommodate that.

Please take a moment to actually read the guidelines. To those reporting every post about Covid, Covid may be discussed as long as the guidelines are followed. To those posting charts and statistics, those may NOT be posted.

Full points for not following the guidelines are going to be given from @scrappinginontario’s post on.

This thread seems to be helpful for those making the decision to go or not to go. We’d hate to close it. But we can’t babysit the thread all day. And we shouldn’t have to!

REMINDER:

The global COVID pandemic created unprecedented restrictions, disruptions and changes to our travel, work, shopping, schooling, social interactions and so many other aspects of our lives since the beginning of 2020. We’ve all been affected, and we have been inundated with news, information, mis-information, frustrations and opinions. We’ve heard them, we’ve shared them, we’ve argued about them.

The discussions, debates and arguments about the virus, distancing and masking policies, various politicians’ statements and actions have been overwhelming and divisive. Many threads on the DISboards have been derailed or devolved into arguments due to this topic. We understand the passion, but feel that we’ve let the discussions run their course. We are sure there are better places on the WWW to learn about and debate scientific, medical and political issues. The mission of the DISboards is to be a great travel resource and a friendly community.

Now that travel is opening up again, it’s time to refocus on that mission!

From this point on, we will welcome information on COVID policies RELATED TO TRAVEL. Things like the vaccination policies issued by venues or destinations, the cleaning or distancing procedures in use, practical tips for travelers or things they might need to know that are different from location to location are all valid topics. Any official policies issued by Disney, other travel destinations, cruise lines, airlines, etc. regarding requirements for visiting parks or cruising can be shared. This information needs to be on-topic for the specific forum and thread where posted.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed: No statistics about infection rates, no ranting about individual rights, no “face-diaper” comments, no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective, no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what.

In summary: COVID related discussion should be limited to actual policy and practical application, and NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We understand that you may be passionate in your opinions on this topic and want to discuss or debate them, and appreciate your understanding that there are more appropriate places than the DISboards to do that.

Thank you,
DISboards Administrators

A big part of our trip is shopping, can anyone comment on how crazy the outlet malls our? I recall back in the day, the places were packed, with mainly south americans pulling their suitcases whiles shopping, to shop and pack lol... I am curious is the malls seem less crowded, less bodies, since much of the international crowd is not there right now?

I need to head over to the other threads " trip report, here right now... ) to also ask about MK.. the past week reports have reported a drastic decline in crowds, except MK and that seems to be a mad house.. I am wondering if next week, I am better off avoiding the place at night.. I have heard, other parks are " low crowd" My friend as there last night and MK was crazy , I think if one is willing to avoid the fireworks, you can avoid the worsto of WDW crowds and humanity. This back up plan is one reason I am willing to still go I dont NEED MK and the fireworks, for first timers, a different deal.

American Airlines is still allowing cancellations/changes (changes as long as you did not pick basic economy seats) and reinstatement of miles. I know because I cancelled my trip twice in the past 2
American Airlines is still allowing cancellations/changes (changes as long as you did not pick basic economy seats) and reinstatement of miles. I know because I cancelled my trip twice in the past 2 weeks. 😖
Were you issued a voucher..if so what was the expiration date? Was it a year from issue or from travel date..

we are booked at Aulani for our 25th anniversary from 9/5-9/12 and are agonizing over what to do…

A big part of our trip is shopping, can anyone comment on how crazy the outlet malls our? I recall back in the day, the places were packed, with mainly south americans pulling their suitcases whiles shopping, to shop and pack lol... I am curious is the malls seem less crowded, less bodies, since much of the international crowd is not there right now?

I need to head over to the other threads " trip report, here right now... ) to also ask about MK.. the past week reports have reported a drastic decline in crowds, except MK and that seems to be a mad house.. I am wondering if next week, I am better off avoiding the place at night.. I have heard, other parks are " low crowd" My friend as there last night and MK was crazy , I think if one is willing to avoid the fireworks, you can avoid the worsto of WDW crowds and humanity. This back up plan is one reason I am willing to still go I dont NEED MK and the fireworks, for first timers, a different deal.
The outlets are hit or miss, I went in June and it was crowded, had a friend last week say it was empty. I think at the moment it’s just locals and folks on vacation trying to fill free time and find deals during down time, so some days it’s just empty.

as far as MK, it is more crowded, but especially on Boo Bash nights (which last night was). If you avoid a Boo Bash night it’s a bit less crazy, still crazy but less so (if that makes sense). I still recommend that if you want to be there just avoid the hub and go ride rides while everyone watches HEA, I personally am going to go to other parks since it seems like everyone goes to MK.

From the Internet, It from like boo bash day/nights were busier. This is based off wait times. I just moved my MK day next week from Tuesday to Wed. Would love anyone’s input.

WDW is still following CDC guidelines, they're probably not going to have stricter policies than the CDC recommends. It's probably not enough for some potential guests, but that is now up to the guests.

I recall ways of seeing MK fireworks that don't involve standing in the crowd on Main Street, like going back to Fantasyland. It's worth a shot.

The Florida Mall was busy as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter