To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are going in September. Two over 60 almost 70 adults. We were concerned for awhile, because our vaccinations were done in February and they are now saying that it loses some effectiveness after 8 months. So that meant we would need to wait until October. We were at our pharmacist for another prescription and our pharmacist laminated that he canceled his Disney vacation (his son is 5 yrs old). When we told him of our plans, he said, I have and can give you the booster right now and he did. (He's been helping all seniors who ask.) So we have more confidence now. That being said, we plan on wearing masks indoors/crowded areas. We also have OTC test kits to use when we get home (we drive) to be sure we are not carrying anything back to our neighborhood.

Got my booster today since I’m high risk. I had an appointment and was surprised I was the only one there waiting for the shot. DH ( 72) getting his booster on Monday. Feel better on our trip the end of Oct.

After my vaccinated husband picked up COVID on our Disney trip, he managed to pass it on to me (also vaccinated) and our 2 young kids. And probably our cat. In case anyone was wondering, the at home tests from target picked up 3 of our cases (my husband didn’t try one). Delta is easily transmissible and wearing masks indoors and limiting eating inside did not protect us.

Is your kitty ok?

So, after much back and forth for our trip end of Sept, we have modified. Two adults, both getting boosters later this month so that weighed in our decision as well. As with many, I am sure, planning for the 50th has been thought of since we were there on the 45th. This was going to be our trip, fly first class, first time at deluxe ( booked Contemporary as soon is was available - as we are there thru the 1st), deluxe dining- hole 9 yards...anyway we know the world has changed and so must our vacation. We dont know how things are going to be next month or what might change while we are there. We knew we needed this trip but did not to want to second guess the splurge and have the trip be more compramised and regret our decision. Felt it was a catch 22. Reluctantly, I changed hotels.. Staying at Coronado Gran Destino Tower and shaving a great deal off the expense. The difference can cover a quick trip back in April ( or a cruise ). We will spend more on Uber but I think we are at peace with our decision. Boy, it was tough, I sweated, called Disney twice, cringed at cancelling Contemporary .. Hopefully I made someones day when they were able to grab our Garden Wing room...LOL

I'm at BCV now with two children too young to be vaccinated. Overall, the crowds are low enough and Disney has taken enough precautions that I feel relatively safe. Last night we got behind two men on the Smuggler's Run queue who kept pulling their masks down and then back up whenever they saw a cast member. I kept 6 feet of space between our parties. Apparently Slinky Dog is considered a fully outdoor attraction because there was about 50% mask wearing on that line. There was a teen girl about 10 people behind us who was coughing up a lung the entire time. She was wearing a mask, but I felt awful for the parties on either side of her. She was the only one in her family wearing a mask. Sanitizer stations are full 9 times out of 10, and if one is empty, another one usually is close by. I keep my own with me anyway. We are a party of 6, so we requested to ride the Skyliner with no other parties at about 3pm yesterday, and they said no problem. But we took Friendship back from HS at 9pm because I wasn't sure with those lines that Skyliner wouldn't put us with another party. We held back and let the first boat go so that we could be the first people on the next boat, and we sat on the bench at the back (open part) of the boat.

I guess we are going! Just checked into our flight for tomorrow, negative Covid test results just got in ( required as we are international) - so we are good to go. Just got pink masks to match with our pink Minnie Ears... Found surgical and N95s in pink.. didnt think I'd be excited about masks. This album sure will look different.

OT question: we have a car rental, but I still have my DME ressie, paranoid there might be rental issues, credit card ( foreign thing).. Will we get in trouble we are DME no shows?? thanks

I know this is just one person's story but my friends adult son was knocked on his butt with covid last week. His 10 day quarantine would run out tomorrow. He went to Disney yesterday, figured he felt fine and doesn't think it matters.

Last edited:

I guess we are going! Just checked into our flight for tomorrow, negative Covid test results just got in ( required as we are international) - so we are good to go. Just got pink masks to match with our pink Minnie Ears... Found surgical and N95s in pink.. didnt think I'd be excited about masks. This album sure will look different.

OT question: we have a car rental, but I still have my DME ressie, paranoid there might be rental issues, credit card ( foreign thing).. Will we get in trouble we are DME no shows?? thanks

No problems if you no-show DME. Also no problem showing up at DME without a reservation, because they will just look up your reservation. I mean, it helps to have a reservation so they can plan re: buses, I'm sure, but you can also just show up. Enjoy your trip! We leave a week from tomorrow. We'll look for your pink masks and Minnie ears, if you are still there. Traveling to wdw at this time of year (2 out of 4 of us have birthdays) was always our favorite because we met so many international guests.

I'm at BCV now with two children too young to be vaccinated. Overall, the crowds are low enough and Disney has taken enough precautions that I feel relatively safe. Last night we got behind two men on the Smuggler's Run queue who kept pulling their masks down and then back up whenever they saw a cast member. I kept 6 feet of space between our parties. Apparently Slinky Dog is considered a fully outdoor attraction because there was about 50% mask wearing on that line. There was a teen girl about 10 people behind us who was coughing up a lung the entire time. She was wearing a mask, but I felt awful for the parties on either side of her. She was the only one in her family wearing a mask. Sanitizer stations are full 9 times out of 10, and if one is empty, another one usually is close by. I keep my own with me anyway. We are a party of 6, so we requested to ride the Skyliner with no other parties at about 3pm yesterday, and they said no problem. But we took Friendship back from HS at 9pm because I wasn't sure with those lines that Skyliner wouldn't put us with another party. We held back and let the first boat go so that we could be the first people on the next boat, and we sat on the bench at the back (open part) of the boat.

This is reassuring - we also have 2 under-12s, one of whom will be celebrating a birthday - and this is a rescheduled birthday trip from last year. Of course hindsight being 20-20, we should have taken the trip last year....

Yes, she is doing pretty well. She sneezes every once in a while, but it isn’t rapid fire like it was. And I even caught her playing last night!
Glad the kitty (and the humans are OK)! I’m a vet and you can test pets for COViD from a veterinary lab, but we don’t advertise it because everyone would be running in thinking they got COViD from their pet. Cats are more susceptible to COViD compared to other species and usually have upper respiratory signs. All the tigers at our zoo got it and they think it was from a caretaker. Usually the cat gets it from a human, not the other way around.

Last edited:
I know this is just one person's story but my friends adult son was knocked on his butt with covid last week. His 10 day quarantine would run out tomorrow. He went to Disney yesterday, figured he felt fine and doesn't think it matters.

Asymptomatic and already 10 days, Should be good to go.

Yes, she is doing pretty well. She sneezes every once in a while, but it isn’t rapid fire like it was. And I even caught her playing last night!
That's good! My cat got it from me March/April 2020 and was pretty sick for about 10 days (she was 14 at the time, now 16, so a bit older so it hit her harder), the vet said animals don't tend to get as sick as people. She still had trouble drinking because of the snotty nose though, and so we started giving her ice cubes she could lick (she kept snorting up the water) and now she's addicted to ice *sigh*. Hope your whole family is back on your feet quickly.

Asymptomatic and already 10 days, Should be good to go.
They never said he was asymptomatic, if he was that sick he's more than likely still sick and contagious. I know when I had covid March 2020 I felt great on day 7, it was my daughters birthday so I made a cake and cooked her requested dinner (they had all already had it before so we weren't worried about that, they gave it to me lol), that night was the worst I've ever felt in my life and I thought it had already been bad. I had that one full day of feeling awesome, and then it knocked me down again and I stayed that way for another week. BUT, this is example and the guy at my husbands company going in with his family member who had it should be a reminder that there are people who are going knowing they are sick in the park.

I am all over the map on what to do with our upcoming trip. (we are planning Disneyland this trip no World because of the shorter flight) but everything is so uncertain I am worried about booking flights and them cancelled on us or changed so they won't line up properly with our time off etc. I haven't flown since coming home from mexico in early 2020. I am not sure how keen I am on having someone else sit next to me for the flight, do you book first class to have just 2 seats and pay the extra cost for a short flight. :confused3
I will say that I’ve flown only first class the few times I’ve traveled since March ‘20. People are still doing the same stuff (pretending they’re eating/drinking to have their mask off or unlooping the side the FA can’t easily see), but at least they’re further away from me. But it’s just me or DH and me. Even that has a ridiculous cost! Can’t imagine with kids.

Not only will you have people in the parks who are knowingly positive (people have been dragging their sick contagious bodies to the parks for years so not really surprised by that choice...) but there are many who simply don't know they are positive.

We did that. And feel terrible.

Spent last weekend at CSR on a staycation. Hit the parks. Ate at TS and QS indoors. Had a great time. On the way home, learned our daycare provider was Covid positive. Very next day, our 1 year old had symptoms. Finally got his PCR back and he's positive. He's not even 2 so wasn't masked or anything at Disney.

I can't help but think of many more in the same boat that unknowingly exposed people :(

The amount of people I know that are positive or quarantining due to close exposure is staggering. We're about an hour away from Disney. This variant is insane in it's effectiveness to spread.

The amount of people I know that are positive or quarantining due to close exposure is staggering. We're about an hour away from Disney. This variant is insane in it's effectiveness to spread.

oh my good friend was recently visiting her sister-in-law in Orlando and was saying the same thing- her SIL’s work place had half not able to work. . I wonder if this affects Disney’s ability to keep people on staff? I wonder if they have many CM‘s right now who are Covid positive or quarantining themselves.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter