• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
So quick update, we’ve been here since late last night. We were supposed to check in the pop at around 7:30 PM but that thunderstorm that happened late afternoon early evening on Saturday affected our flight and we were diverted to Miami to refuel. So we ended up hitting pop at about 11:15 PM.

Let’s put it this way coming from Germany I was nervous and landing at MCO hearing how crowded it is etc. Covid, let’s just say it’s being handled differently and approached a bit differently here, than here in Florida. We landed at MCO at 9:15 PM and the place was DEAD. I was so shocked and surprised, besides the 10 people or so waiting to meet people coming off the train I could count the number of people in a second that were in the Hilton atrium.So I’m thinking hey this isn’t going to be so bad.

then we finally get to POP, self check in for the first time. And here then I was so surprised hoe full parking lots were. Especially after hearing how dead the parks were. So people must be getting rentals more.

since we got in so late and I was already stressed I changed my HS day today to AK. We weren’t able to do do rope drop but we got there at about 9 AM. Did FOP listed at 55- about 45-50. That was our longest wait the whole day. Safari,Rapids, everest were basically walk on or 10 minutes.

Keep in mind if you do plan to come indoor lines such as FOP you’re still packed together and inside breathing the same air for a long time. I observed about 95% correct mask compliance. There’s was one woman on FOP who I wanted to smack Who kept pulling her mask down and sticking her nose out but that was really the only person I noticed three lines deep on both sides. I just say not to let it bother me because you’re always gonna have this. We also noticed a lot of people were still wearing masks outside and we did often with N95s But I must say at AK today Outside you could have packets of open spaces where you could walk clearly no one near you 20 to 30 feet. And the oddest thing it was not so unbearable hot like it usually is for us we were able to sit at the harmabi? markets and eat at Pandora without dying of the heat. My daughter wanted to eat inside at Pandora but I said no way people are seated packed together. I have to say wearing and 95s outside in the heat and humidity was not that bad. It wasn’t pleasurable but sitting here in my hotel room now I’m not saying never again. Maybe because in Germany we’re required to use those to go shopping we’re just used to it, who knows.
Keep in mind others will have masks that are in various degrees of “quality”. I’m not allowed to post any Covid info or studies but you know what I mean. So if you are going and are still trying to mitigate risk, don’t depend on others doing this for you. Get yourself a quality mask.

EP was also dead even though it had the extra hour this evening. Even FW Was not packed. We would have certain bubbles of groups of people But we would avoid those. Soarin was only 10 minutes, TT25, Single rider for that it had no wait. Oddly frozen was 35 minutes still. I must say it was actually a very nice evening at EP tonight not packed at all.

Another thing,I don’t know if this is a Covid response that Disney is doing with the pool, but it’s like swimming in a chemical hazard, lol. I don’t know if they are adding extra extra amounts of chlorine but it is so disgusting and I’m posting a picture what I did to my swimsuit I’ve never had this happen to me before. Then I started chatting to some lady in the pool and she showed me her hair. She had a dyed red and now it’s orange. The pool water took out the color in her hair after one short swim. I’m attaching a picture of what I did to my suit.

I’m also attaching some pictures of the crowds.
So after one day my thoughts are:
1. if you’re someone who does rides especially indoor you’re still at a risk. Because nothing is 100% especially if you’re packed together indoors for a long time- which you will be. Mask compliance is very good- , but mask quality I question.
2. For someone who is not into indoor- mega long line rides and just enjoy walking around the park, right now the low crowds are awesome, plenty of physical distance is you look. The was so much available outdoor seating.

Attachments

• EA1E1C17-B496-4D43-8904-6BBC5EEFC0EB.jpeg
    EA1E1C17-B496-4D43-8904-6BBC5EEFC0EB.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 7A9CA9E9-B677-4520-99EA-D3326F9137EB.jpeg
    7A9CA9E9-B677-4520-99EA-D3326F9137EB.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 216
  • D407B9FD-8801-44B6-BBF9-0EE079330918.jpeg
    D407B9FD-8801-44B6-BBF9-0EE079330918.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 188
  • 6FD597F1-7E49-4C54-87D2-1952F1317D48.jpeg
    6FD597F1-7E49-4C54-87D2-1952F1317D48.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 182
  • C79F39E1-4DE1-429E-AA2D-21356498427D.jpeg
    C79F39E1-4DE1-429E-AA2D-21356498427D.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 176
Oh one other thing. I noticed hardly any older people say- like over 70. And there were much less scooters. But many babies and plenty under 12

Last edited:
So quick update, we’ve been here since late last night. We were supposed to check in the pop at around 7:30 PM but that thunderstorm that happened late afternoon early evening on Saturday affected our flight and we were diverted to Miami to refuel. So we ended up hitting pop at about 11:15 PM.

Let’s put it this way coming from Germany I was nervous and landing at MCO hearing how crowded it is etc. Covid, let’s just say it’s being handled differently and approached a bit differently here, than here in Florida. We landed at MCO at 9:15 PM and the place was DEAD. I was so shocked and surprised, besides the 10 people or so waiting to meet people coming off the train I could count the number of people in a second that were in the Hilton atrium.So I’m thinking hey this isn’t going to be so bad.

then we finally get to POP, self check in for the first time. And here then I was so surprised hoe full parking lots were. Especially after hearing how dead the parks were. So people must be getting rentals more.

since we got in so late and I was already stressed I changed my HS day today to AK. We weren’t able to do do rope drop but we got there at about 9 AM. Did FOP listed at 55- about 45-50. That was our longest wait the whole day. Safari,Rapids, everest were basically walk on or 10 minutes.

Keep in mind if you do plan to come indoor lines such as FOP you’re still packed together and inside breathing the same air for a long time. I observed about 95% correct mask compliance. There’s was one woman on FOP who I wanted to smack Who kept pulling her mask down and sticking her nose out but that was really the only person I noticed three lines deep on both sides. I just say not to let it bother me because you’re always gonna have this. We also noticed a lot of people were still wearing masks outside and we did often with N95s But I must say at AK today Outside you could have packets of open spaces where you could walk clearly no one near you 20 to 30 feet. And the oddest thing it was not so unbearable hot like it usually is for us we were able to sit at the harmabi? markets and eat at Pandora without dying of the heat. My daughter wanted to eat inside at Pandora but I said no way people are seated packed together. I have to say wearing and 95s outside in the heat and humidity was not that bad. It wasn’t pleasurable but sitting here in my hotel room now I’m not saying never again. Maybe because in Germany we’re required to use those to go shopping we’re just used to it, who knows.
Keep in mind others will have masks that are in various degrees of “quality”. I’m not allowed to post any Covid info or studies but you know what I mean. So if you are going and are still trying to mitigate risk, don’t depend on others doing this for you. Get yourself a quality mask.

EP was also dead even though it had the extra hour this evening. Even FW Was not packed. We would have certain bubbles of groups of people But we would avoid those. Soarin was only 10 minutes, TT25, Single rider for that it had no wait. Oddly frozen was 35 minutes still. I must say it was actually a very nice evening at EP tonight not packed at all.

Another thing,I don’t know if this is a Covid response that Disney is doing with the pool, but it’s like swimming in a chemical hazard, lol. I don’t know if they are adding extra extra amounts of chlorine but it is so disgusting and I’m posting a picture what I did to my swimsuit I’ve never had this happen to me before. Then I started chatting to some lady in the pool and she showed me her hair. She had a dyed red and now it’s orange. The pool water took out the color in her hair after one short swim. I’m attaching a picture of what I did to my suit.

I’m also attaching some pictures of the crowds.
So after one day my thoughts are:
1. if you’re someone who does rides especially indoor you’re still at a risk. Because nothing is 100% especially if you’re packed together indoors for a long time- which you will be. Mask compliance is very good- , but mask quality I question.
2. For someone who is not into indoor- mega long line rides and just enjoy walking around the park, right now the low crowds are awesome, plenty of physical distance is you look. The was so much available outdoor seating.

Mega long lines? I didn't look that way o the live youtube streams this weekend.

We are sticking with our trip and heading down on Sunday. From the you tube live streams it looks like mask compliance is pretty good and crowds look pretty low; assuming because of school and cancellations.

We scheduled a quick trip for Sept 10-12 that I've just canceled. We just felt like we'd kick ourselves if we came back and got ill (we're vaccinated but obviously that's not complete protection). We've only dined indoors twice since March 2020 (when we happened to be a WDW when they announced their closure). We're not ready to take that kind of risk. In October, we've got several things (locally) that may put us out of our comfort zone if numbers don't being to subside but those are much smaller time and money commitments if we pull the plug.

We have a late Feb WDW trip planned and hope for everyone's sake that this go/no-go thread is covered in dust by then! (We'll also have rec'd our 3rd covid shot by then)

We are sticking with our trip and heading down on Sunday. From the you tube live streams it looks like mask compliance is pretty good and crowds look pretty low; assuming because of school and cancellations.

we're heading down next Monday! We live in MA and I've been wearing my mask indoors around here now to make sure I don't get it right before the trip. :thumbsup2

I am in the same situation. I received the J&J vaccine back In March because it was what was available at my pharmacy. Now it feels as if J&J has become the red-headed stepchild of vaccines that no one wants to talk about.
XD that's a great way to describe it. Definitely feel left in the dark as to what my next steps should be.

we're heading down next Monday! We live in MA and I've been wearing my mask indoors around here now to make sure I don't get it right before the trip. :thumbsup2

We're 99% heading down on Saturday, after flip-flopping back and forth for weeks now (staying at Swan, and have no change fees on our flights, so we have the luxury of literally waiting til the last minute to cancel/postpone). We're 2 fully vaxxed adults, and two highly mask-compliant kids under 12 (ages 7 and 11 - our school doesn't start til Sept 13). We live in NYC, wear masks in common areas of our apartment building, in stores, restaurants and on the subway, as do the kids at their summer day camp, even in the hot humid 90 degree weather... so not really concerned with any mask mandates negatively impacting our trip, as it's already part of our day to day lives. My eldest even voluntarily double-masks. I'm mostly worried about the dreadful Covid rates in FL and poor compliance of visitors from other parts of the country in the parks.

I arrive on Sunday and pretty much only leave to take kids to school and pick them up (they aren’t going with me this trip). Since they’re older they tend to come home and disappear so it’s like they self social distance from me, I figure I’m safe lol. I’m used to the masks in the heat and humidity since our weather is 99% the same where I live as it is in Orlando, sometimes I sit on my back porch just to get used to it, probably a good thing our neighbors can’t see me back there 🤣. I’m ready!

I'm mostly worried about the dreadful Covid rates in FL and poor compliance of visitors from other parts of the country in the parks.

I meant to say worried about poor compliance from people in areas of the country currently with very high rates of Covid. We have plenty folks who don't comply here where I live as well - but overall mask and vax rates are higher here, so doesn't feel as risky as going to a hot spot.

We have decided to cancel our trip which was from 9/26-10/6: ten days at BWV. I booked this through DVC a year ago in anticipation of being there for the start of the 50th anniversary. We are two adults, both vaccinated but it's expected to to super busy during that week. There are simply too many active covid cases in Florida now for me to stand cheek to jowl with strangers who may or may not be vaccinated.

We are considering taking a cruise with NCL instead which requires all passengers to be vaccinated. We already have another trip planned for May so we'll be back then.

Just touching base again. We are finishing up day 4. So far so good. Crowds fairly low. You have some people that disregard the rules but that is with anything in life. Truthfully, I was more appalled by the drunk idiot throwing up in the bushes in the Japan pavilion than anything else this trip. Family feels good so far. Fingers crossed. 5 more fun filled (hopefully) days to go.

I was a little surprised too, but my son is a Type 1 diabetic which qualifies him and apparently I do also as a family member living with an immunocompromised person. To be honest, I think the fact that I'm in Texas (where they can barely give shots away) helps too.
Happy to hear you were able to get boosters. I'm not eligible for mine until after our trip ( 8 month rule) but I am definitely getting it!

For thise still deciding…. They will ask you to “ fill in all the available space on rides”. BUT you are Covid safe as mousekeeping won’t touch your bedding to make it up - and leave the bed in same disarray as you left it. Just my little snark on Disney Covid policies that made no sense and are really “ cost saving “ policies.

For this still deciding…. They will ask you to “ fill in all the available space on rides”. BUT you are Covid safe as mousekeeping won’t touch your bedding to make it up - and leave the bed in same disarray as you left it. Just my little snark on Disney Covid policies that made no sense and are really “ cost saving “ policies.

The mousekeeping is because they are short staffed, and what they do have only has time to do the bare minimum at the moment. At the beginning they could get away with "it's because of covid" but right now they are doing a massive hiring with sign on bonuses trying to get people to come because they need the help. When I was there memorial day week we had major issues with our rooms not being ready until hours after they should have been. We did a split stay, and both resorts our rooms weren't ready until well after 5pm, we got nice hefty resort credits but it was clear by what the front desk told us that they were struggling with keeping up with turning rooms over due to staffing in house keeping. Going in to all the rooms and making beds, cleaning bathrooms and floors just isn't possible with staffing levels right now (but if they're going to keep up the "it's because of covid" lie they should at least keep the lie up in other areas too, because I have never wanted to fill in all available space next to a stranger who forgot their deoderant in August)

I wanted to share my reasoning for canceling my October trip.

I can take crowds. I actually love crowds. Put me in the middle of a mass of humanity and I am a happy camper. We went to WDW for NYE for nearly 20 years, so I am an expert at navigating WDW at its busiest.

I can take chances with Covid. I’m vaccinated and I live in Wisconsin. While I know I’m not 100% immune, I know how to keep myself safer with masks and keeping my distance from strangers. I’ve done things just this past week that I wouldn’t have even 6 months ago. I’ve been to Chicago Cubs games (thankfully they suck and the ballpark was maybe half full), I’ve eaten inside in a restaurant and I’ve been to a bridal shower. I hugged people and shook hands. Yes, I’ve lived dangerously ;).

What I realized this weekend is that I could not do both. I would be absolutely fine at WDW with crowds and no Covid. I would be absolutely fine at WDW with Covid and no crowds (as is being reported now). I am not fine with a crowded WDW with Covid. For me, that transforms my “living dangerously” crack to the real thing :(. I think different people have different comfort levels and unfortunately that surpasses mine.

Good luck to everyone finding their “happy place” comfort level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter