To Go or Not To Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were at the outlet mall today. Must say most were masking. Even outdoors. I was worried once outside the bubble it would be different. Unfortunately the meanie in me came out and I let it out to a staff worker at the Adidas store. This is the only place that I noticed they ask people to wear masks on the door and inside half weren’t wearing them and then my daughter was not allowed to try on clothes because the dressing rooms were closed closed “due to Covid”. I then asked how come then are you letting people in without masks, yet my DD in her N95 can’t try clothes on. The lady just looked shell shocked at me and couldn’t answer that question.

For those that go now the Disney warehouse store had no lines and was not packed like normal. What was sad they had tons of cruise line stuff for all the canceled cruises for 2020 etc. So those that are coming head out there and I won’t be a pact chaos like it usually is

Please don't take your frustrations about store policy out on the staff working in the store. You said they asked people to wear masks, you didn't say they required them. I don't know if that is the case or not, but when masks were mandated here my ds who works in a grocery store was told by his boss not to argue with a customer who came in without one. I'm not sure if that was the case for the worker you let it out on, but she probably didn't set the store policy about the dressing room so asking her that was pretty rude.
Cut these people some slack- they are the ones out there working during a pandemic most likely because they need that job.

We recently got back from a trip. There was no debate about cancelling as we are all vaccinated. If I had small kids who weren't vaccinated we would have cancelled.
The week we were there mask compliance in ques was very good. That doesn't really matter though if you are eating indoors or walking around unmasked in the crowded parks, or at the crowded pool at your resort. Crowds aren't at full capacity but there are still a ton of people there. There is no way to distance yourself there, at least in the last few weeks there wasn't.
We even shared a table at Oga's with 2 different groups. One was there when we sat down, when they left another one came in and was seated with us. We weren't even a foot away from them. We had no issue with that, I'm just letting people know in case they were thinking Disney is doing all they can to protect you from exposure. They definitely are not. I'm sorry for all of you that had trips planned when things were looking better and now are forced to make a decision whether to cancel or not.

Please don't take your frustrations about store policy out on the staff working in the store. You said they asked people to wear masks, you didn't say they required them. I don't know if that is the case or not, but when masks were mandated here my ds who works in a grocery store was told by his boss not to argue with a customer who came in without one. I'm not sure if that was the case for the worker you let it out on, but she probably didn't set the store policy about the dressing room so asking her that was pretty rude.
Cut these people some slack- they are the ones out there working during a pandemic most likely because they need that job.

We recently got back from a trip. There was no debate about cancelling as we are all vaccinated. If I had small kids who weren't vaccinated we would have cancelled.
The week we were there mask compliance in ques was very good. That doesn't really matter though if you are eating indoors or walking around unmasked in the crowded parks, or at the crowded pool at your resort. Crowds aren't at full capacity but there are still a ton of people there. There is no way to distance yourself there, at least in the last few weeks there wasn't.
We even shared a table at Oga's with 2 different groups. One was there when we sat down, when they left another one came in and was seated with us. We weren't even a foot away from them. We had no issue with that, I'm just letting people know in case they were thinking Disney is doing all they can to protect you from exposure. They definitely are not. I'm sorry for all of you that had trips planned when things were looking better and now are forced to make a decision whether to cancel or not.

I was very polite in my complaint- and didn’t take it out on her. In fact I actually told her my complaint was not directed at her. I first asked if she happened to be the store manager. She replied no and asked if I wanted to speak to one. I said no but if she could just my forward message on. The message was basically how idiotic is it that they allow no masks but to be “safe” don’t allow people to try clothes on. She was simply dumbfounded as she didn’t have a response to that ( as it it idiotic and makes zero sense. btw Ron Jon’s at DS actually told people without them to leave.

So stay OT, those Who have have decided to go please be aware that you do need a mask at some places off site as they will ask you to leave. Coach was also liked this at the outlet mall

I was very polite in my complaint- and didn’t take it out on her. In fact I actually told her my complaint was not directed at her. I first asked if she happened to be the store manager. She replied no and asked if I wanted to speak to one. I said no but if she could just my forward message on. The message was basically how idiotic is it that they allow no masks but to be “safe” don’t allow people to try clothes on. She was simply dumbfounded as she didn’t have a response to that ( as it it idiotic and makes zero sense. btw Ron Jon’s at DS actually told people without them to leave.

So stay OT, those Who have have decided to go please be aware that you do need a mask at some places off site as they will ask you to leave. Coach was also liked this at the outlet mall

When I get complaints about why the mask rules (or any rules) are what they are at my PT customer facing gig, my reply is "Because that's what the rules are. I don't get to make them. I just have to follow them." It's the truth. Full stop. Then I offer them the manager's email because I am literally powerless to do anything else other than nod sympathetically while "Sailing" by Christopher Cross plays over the sound of their complaints in my head.

Back on track...DH and I have been discussing contingency plans for December. Everything from straight up cancellation, to dining off-site/take out, to double masking. A lot will hinge on the third booster as well and of course the way the numbers are at that time. But since we are DVC, we would have to pull the trigger one way or another to avoid our points going into holding.

My son works at Walmart. They don't allow people to try on clothes right now. When I asked why I was told that they didn't have people there to clean them.

Would have left today for a ten day trip to my happy place. Found out last Wednesday my dad (82), who is fully vaccinated, has covid. He is currently in the hospital making progress, but it is slow. We were all tested and my mom and me tested positive! Hence, we had to reschedule our trip!!! I am a teacher and my principal was very willing to work with me and our reschedule, for end of September. Everyone else in the house tested negative, but received their 1st & 2nd vaccine later than us. I guess that tells us something....BOOSTER here we come. Although I am disappointed we are not going now, I am glad we were able to reschedule. I will feel better knowing that I am not there not infecting others. We plan on wearing masks and social distancing as best as possible when we go.

I don't think anyone should be expecting Disney to be accountable for protecting them. Its up to visitors to make smart choices and assess the risk. Checking in on 8/29, 2 kids vaxxed one is not. Predicted crowd levels have fallen off a cliff. All kids have zero issues masking up and are now permanent germaphobes thanks to the pandemic... We are a hockey family and were in and out of rinks during covid last year. Were all pretty sure we had it at some point prior to getting vaxxed.. I've been keeping tabs on the infection rates as well and peak in FL. was on Tuesday (yesterday).

Last edited:
Going in 9 days. It will be a DM/DD trip as we've been quarantined and locked down together. We did not leave our house until April 2021. Both fully vaccinated. DM gets her booster in October, I get mine in November (if the 8-months timeline is right).

We're bringing the works. 20 N95 masks, 50 normal medical masks, 12 cloth masks. We'll be wearing them outdoors in crowds and obviously indoors, and double-masking if we decide to hang out by the castle for Happily Ever After. I've been walking the dog with a cloth mask on to get used to wearing it in sweltering day heat outdoors. We're bringing sanitizing wipes for tables. We have a boatload of hand sanitizer in case if a sink isn't nearby for after every single ride. We're staying at the BC in order to minimize bus usage to AK/MK only. We're most likely not bothering with the insanity that's Disney Springs.

At first I was worried because I am a hypochondriac and have been tracking the virus since December 2019, but at this point? I'm vaccinated. I follow the rules. I have followed them explicitly more so than most. I feel I'm educated enough to navigate the climate right now.

We’re 10 days out from arriving and right now
and we’re planning on still going. Ironically it was my overworked health care professional friend who convinced us to go. She pointed out we’re as likely to get Covid at the grocery store, work, school or church at home as we are at WDW these days. That and the lower crowds being reported and predicted convinced us to keep our plans.

We’re all vaccinated and driving our own car down, and will happily wear masks inside and out.

I understand others have come to different decisions and I respect that too. We’ve gone back and forth for weeks and could still change our minds in the next few days.

I've been keeping tabs on the infection rates as well and peak in FL. was on Tuesday (yesterday).

Just wondering where you look to track rates. We’re just about 2 weeks out from our trip & still so undecided. We’re mid 60’s; I’m an RN. My 2nd vaccine was January 26, my DH had his 2nd dose 2/14. So we’re both right at that 8 month mark. I haven’t seen rates in a few days so I’d be interested to see them. Also heard Florida isn’t always the best at reporting their numbers. Do you find them to be accurate? Thanks!

I don't think anyone should be expecting Disney to be accountable for protecting them. Its up to visitors to make smart choices and assess the risk. Checking in on 8/29, 2 kids vaxxed one is not. Predicted crowd levels have fallen off a cliff. All kids have zero issues masking up and are now permanent germaphobes thanks to the pandemic... We are a hockey family and were in and out of rinks during covid last year. Were all pretty sure we had it at some point prior to getting vaxxed.. I've been keeping tabs on the infection rates as well and peak in FL. was on Tuesday (yesterday).

It's not about people thinking Disney is accountable for their protection but more about thinking that Disney has put precautions in place for their guests. That isn't really unreasonable considering what they have done at other points during the pandemic, and obviously if someone hasn't been there then they don't know what is or isn't being done.
I was just letting people know that if they are expecting things other than requiring masks indoors there is really nothing else WDW is requiring of their guests at this time. There is no social distancing, CM's are packing people into ques, they are allowing single riders, they aren't spacing tables out at restaurants. Now they don't even require masks in outdoor ques, but are still jamming people in them.
I think that kind of info helps people on the fence.

It's not about people thinking Disney is accountable for their protection but more about thinking that Disney has put precautions in place for their guests. That isn't really unreasonable considering what they have done at other points during the pandemic, and obviously if someone hasn't been there then they don't know what is or isn't being done.
I was just letting people know that if they are expecting things other than requiring masks indoors there is really nothing else WDW is requiring of their guests at this time. There is no social distancing, CM's are packing people into ques, they are allowing single riders, they aren't spacing tables out at restaurants. Now they don't even require masks in outdoor ques, but are still jamming people in them.
I think that kind of info helps people on the fence.

Yeah I think this is important to make sure people know this. We have a trip planned later this year and my sister assumed the safety measures were still in place from when I went in February (masks indoors/outdoors, socially distanced lines, hand washing stations, periodic line cleaning, etc.). I do wish they'd bring back the socially distanced lines.

Just wondering where you look to track rates. We’re just about 2 weeks out from our trip & still so undecided. We’re mid 60’s; I’m an RN. My 2nd vaccine was January 26, my DH had his 2nd dose 2/14. So we’re both right at that 8 month mark. I haven’t seen rates in a few days so I’d be interested to see them. Also heard Florida isn’t always the best at reporting their numbers. Do you find them to be accurate? Thanks!
So someone else here suggested googling Florida covid peak and while they can lead you to good sources, always check their sources. This includes seeing if they have the CDC projections in the articles. For whats it worth I am scrolling now on my phone and see various well known news sources starting to report new info so Im now slightly cautiously optimistic, but only slightly.

Also sadly my booster isn't until just under 6 weeks after our trip. Le sigh. I am in contact with my doctor though. Being as safe as possible.

One thing that I'm doing, but honestly I've always done, is taking extra precautions when even sitting down to eat.

I have sanitizer wipes that I take with me to wipe down the table before I eat. we also use them for our hands. I have a backpack that I've got packed with them to take to the parks. Along with my hand sanitizer and masks.

I have RA and Fibro so my immune system can be somewhat wonky. I was wearing masks before it was cool on the planes. Mostly because that's where I found it to be scary. If that makes sense.

One thing that I'm doing, but honestly I've always done, is taking extra precautions when even sitting down to eat.

I have sanitizer wipes that I take with me to wipe down the table before I eat. we also use them for our hands. I have a backpack that I've got packed with them to take to the parks. Along with my hand sanitizer and masks.

I have RA and Fibro so my immune system can be somewhat wonky. I was wearing masks before it was cool on the planes. Mostly because that's where I found it to be scary. If that makes sense.
Did you get your booster? I have RA and received mine August 16th. I was told I more than qualified.

I have a question for this thread but not sure if it's allowed,or too O/T.... I've seen a number of posters debating between going to WDW or on a cruise...what makes one different than the other in the context we're discussing here? (Mod I apologize if this isn't on the correct topic) I'm curious b/c like the rest of you,I have been considering various trip options lately and this catches my attention.

I have always bought wipes and sanitizer to the parks. And I was known to duck into a bathroom just to wash my hands. I will continue to do so.

I have a question for this thread but not sure if it's allowed,or too O/T.... I've seen a number of posters debating between going to WDW or on a cruise...what makes one different than the other in the context we're discussing here? (Mod I apologize if this isn't on the correct topic) I'm curious b/c like the rest of you,I have been considering various trip options lately and this catches my attention.
SOME cruises require vaccinations for adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter