To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Where did you buy the Pretor TRM 425 for less than the Peloton? I'm seeing it at mid-4000. Maybe a holiday sale?

We got it in the high threes (just over 4 with delivery and set up plus tax) at a place called Gym Source near us. They were having a 20 (percent off) for 20 (hours) sale and the tread was discounted for that sale. That said, my understanding is that there’s a ton of room to negotiate with a lot of precor dealers, so I don’t think it would hurt to find a local dealer you can talk to in person. Either find out when the next sale will be or ask for a price you like up front and see where you get!

DH is downstairs running on it as I type.

We got it in the high threes (just over 4 with delivery and set up plus tax) at a place called Gym Source near us. They were having a 20 (percent off) for 20 (hours) sale and the tread was discounted for that sale. That said, my understanding is that there’s a ton of room to negotiate with a lot of precor dealers, so I don’t think it would hurt to find a local dealer you can talk to in person. Either find out when the next sale will be or ask for a price you like up front and see where you get!

DH is downstairs running on it as I type.

Looks like it’s on their website for $3499 right now. Have no idea what shipping would run (they ship from precor directly) but maybe worth a shot or at least a tool to request a price match locally?

https://www.gymsource.com/equipment/precor-trm-425-treadmill

Interesting! Thanks for sharing. At a minimum, shows there is a lot of wiggle in the price.

Hey Billy, just wanted to update on how things are going. Had the first test this weekend. 8 miles Saturday and 13 today. First the weather was beautiful yesterday. DH is running my plan with me but as he said today, he fitness is not up to par with me. Of course yesterday I am blaming him for too fast, but it was beautiful and yes we were too fast. Today was 13 and weather called for rain at 9 with some possible at 8. We started at 7. He was feeling the run yesterday. His ankle was bothering him and legs were tired. We were also trying a new route. We knew it would be hilly but wanted to do something different. The major hill hit about 3.5 miles. DH was also struggling with that ankle. We went a bit slow did not hit LR but not too far off. At mile 5 he told me to go ahead. That was all good until about mile 8. I did have a few sprinkles but it stopped. At mile 8 I was a bit lost and for some reason got sunny and warm. Had to stop twice to look at phone and figure out where to go. I was not too far off track but I needed to start heading in the direction of home. At mile 9 I was back to familiar territory so it was all good and back on the course that had been plotted. Now I look over the city and it is dark. I was at mile 10.5 and thought will I beat the rain? Because of my small detour I was able to change up the route home and made it a little easier. I had one mile left and it began to pour. Heavy pouring rain the whole last mile. The street corners had serious puddles. I got to the building just past mile 13 and was thrilled to be inside.

Basically ran too fast on Saturday and then today actually was a tad fast but close to LR pace. Am just happy I got it all in. My legs are tired my back is a little sore but my knee held up fine and now I feel pretty good. DH is feeling it. I think he will definitely need tomorrow to rest.

On my plan I messed up the date of the local 5k, it is Saturday and not Friday. My question is you moved my hard day from Thursday to Tuesday and I thought that might be because the 5k is Friday, but it is really Saturday. Should I flip Tuesday and Thursday and put tempo back to Thursday? Not sure since the half is the following weekend.

Glad you have gotten some answers - and this all happened at a pretty good time in your training cycles.

Hope G had fun at her audition!

DH is running my plan with me but as he said today, he fitness is not up to par with me.

Be careful with this. The plan is written for you specifically not necessarily him. It might be inappropriate and setting him up for injuries.

Sounds like the test weekend went well overall.

On my plan I messed up the date of the local 5k, it is Saturday and not Friday. My question is you moved my hard day from Thursday to Tuesday and I thought that might be because the 5k is Friday, but it is really Saturday. Should I flip Tuesday and Thursday and put tempo back to Thursday? Not sure since the half is the following weekend.

It should stay on Tuesday if the 5k goal is to race it.

Glad you have gotten some answers - and this all happened at a pretty good time in your training cycles.

Thanks and agreed!

Hope G had fun at her audition!

She had a blast. Still no news.

Another finisher!

Name: Dara
Race/Distance: Swamp Rabbit Half Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 15 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: some of both (switched to Run/Walk due to some joint pains for last 4 weeks)
Days per Week: 4
# of Hard Days (per week): 1 (Tempo)
Peak Week Duration: 6:06
Peak Week Mileage: 26 mi
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:32
Peak Single Run Mileage: 11 mi
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 2:21 (March of 2014)
Expectations Going into it: Beat 2:45; complete that final 3 miles at appropriate pace without running out of gas
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: First 8 weeks followed to a tee; weeks 9, 10, and 11 had to shuffle days due to illness and life happenings. In that rough period, I missed 5 training runs total, 3 of them consecutive and 1 LR significantly reduced in length. I also missed the 10 mi LR in week 11 and thought that would be devastating. But I readjusted and nailed the last 4 weeks according to the plan.
Testimonial: This is the third Coach DB plan for me so far. My last three halfs have been 3:03, 2:44, and 2:42. The improvement is real! The big benefit of this last plan is that it kept me realistic wrt expectations about my current fitness level and how my goal relates to my training load. I was also pleased with the Tempo and LR paces during this plan. They are somewhat difficult, but attainable with effort. I also like the fact that the plan could be adjusted when I was sick or had a busy week at work. I'm learning a lot about pacing, and have learned to run by effort (thank the blind runs!) This helped in my race because I was able to run the second half faster (on purpose) with the last three miles at an almost identical pace without even looking at my watch after mile 7. (12:17, 12:22, 12:20). During the last 3 miles, I kept saying to myself, "THIS is what those Sunday runs are for!! Training for the LAST part of the race!" I also appreciate the race pacing tips and positive messages from Coach! Thank you!

Still on track thus far. I've got an appointment scheduled for 3/12/18 to see the sports doc and get the all clear for a return to running. I haven't had any issues so obviously I'm hopeful. I've continued to bike without issue and have been trying to keep the HR in the bike aerobic zone (for me around 100-132). Thus far, I've done:

2/18/18 - 25 min, avg HR 126
2/20/18 - 30 min, avg HR 119
2/21/18 - 30 min, avg HR 122
2/22/18 - 45 min, avg HR 125
2/24/18 - 30 min, avg HR 110
2/25/18 - 45 min, avg HR 125

The 2/25 ride definitely felt easier than the 2/22 ride. Finally felt like I turned a corner aerobically. No idea how far I'm actually riding for (maybe 10-20 miles each day?), but just trying to keep the HR in the 100-132 area. This week I'll be doing 40 min and 50 min rides if my legs tolerate it.

McMillan Core Routine

I decided to make the jump into an official runner's core routine. I surveyed the web to find a routine that I wanted to follow and that was progressive. I settled on the McMillan routine (link) because it requires little extra equipment (at least initially). It was only $5 for a year and the progression of the videos will last 18-27 weeks to complete the full program. Steph and I decided we were going to do this together. The question was - when? After I run in the evenings?

-That might get tough when I come home late sometimes
-More importantly G would be ALL over us on the ground.
-I feel like post-workout and while Steph is making dinner will make us more likely to skip out on the workout consistently.

So, initially we've settled on doing it in the mornings before work since G is almost always still sleeping. Since my hard runs are Tues/Thurs nights and Sunday morning, then I didn't want the workouts to be Wed/Fri mornings (since I would still be recovering). I also wanted to try and keep Mondays open and completely off for more G time. Since the mornings are generally Steph's "me" time and give her the chance to watch her shows at 5:00-6:00am, we settled on trying to do it before that. Which means I'll move my wake-up time from 5:30am to 4:45am.

Phase 1 of the training (for the next 4-6 workouts or 2-3 weeks)

Front Plank - 3 x 10 seconds
Side Plank - 3 x 10 seconds
Leg Lowering - 10 repetitions
Metronome - 5 repetitions
Sit-up with a Twist - 5 repetitions
Jane Fonda - 10 repetitions
Balance Ball - 5 seconds

So the intent of this workout will be in addition to my 6 days per week running. We'll see how that goes. I'm trying to start it now as part of the morning routine so that when running comes around it's just "normal". Wish me luck!

I'll be curious to see how it goes. I've been thinking of adding a core routine so I'd love to hear what you think of McMillans as it progresses.

McMillan Core Routine

I decided to make the jump into an official runner's core routine. I surveyed the web to find a routine that I wanted to follow and that was progressive. I settled on the McMillan routine (link) because it requires little extra equipment (at least initially). It was only $5 for a year and the progression of the videos will last 18-27 weeks to complete the full program. Steph and I decided we were going to do this together. The question was - when? After I run in the evenings?

-That might get tough when I come home late sometimes
-More importantly G would be ALL over us on the ground.
-I feel like post-workout and while Steph is making dinner will make us more likely to skip out on the workout consistently.

So, initially we've settled on doing it in the mornings before work since G is almost always still sleeping. Since my hard runs are Tues/Thurs nights and Sunday morning, then I didn't want the workouts to be Wed/Fri mornings (since I would still be recovering). I also wanted to try and keep Mondays open and completely off for more G time. Since the mornings are generally Steph's "me" time and give her the chance to watch her shows at 5:00-6:00am, we settled on trying to do it before that. Which means I'll move my wake-up time from 5:30am to 4:45am.

Phase 1 of the training (for the next 4-6 workouts or 2-3 weeks)

Front Plank - 3 x 10 seconds
Side Plank - 3 x 10 seconds
Leg Lowering - 10 repetitions
Metronome - 5 repetitions
Sit-up with a Twist - 5 repetitions
Jane Fonda - 10 repetitions
Balance Ball - 5 seconds

So the intent of this workout will be in addition to my 6 days per week running. We'll see how that goes. I'm trying to start it now as part of the morning routine so that when running comes around it's just "normal". Wish me luck!

I have no way to quantify it, but I feel like core work has really helped me a ton. I feel it most at the end of my long runs. Don’t discount adding some body weight stuff too, like pull ups, dips, clamshells, and split squats etc. Smart idea to start now :-)

I'll be curious to see how it goes. I've been thinking of adding a core routine so I'd love to hear what you think of McMillans as it progresses.

I'll be sure to update on my progress!

I think this is an awesome addition and I’m excited to hear your thoughts!

Thanks, I'm hoping it will be.

I have no way to quantify it, but I feel like core work has really helped me a ton. I feel it most at the end of my long runs. Don’t discount adding some body weight stuff too, like pull ups, dips, clamshells, and split squats etc. Smart idea to start now :-)

Hoping that will be another piece to the puzzle. I've done the MBW for years, but decided it was time for something new and progressive over time. We'll see about the body weight stuff. At this point, I'll be happy to just "pull-up" out of bed. :D

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the program as well. I'm into week 3 of lifting in addition to running, since I need to work on overall body strength, and I feel like an increased core workout like this would be beneficial (I do a few core things on my two lifting days but I'm sure it's not enough).

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on the program as well. I'm into week 3 of lifting in addition to running, since I need to work on overall body strength, and I feel like an increased core workout like this would be beneficial (I do a few core things on my two lifting days but I'm sure it's not enough).

I just need to make it part of the routine because 4:45am wakes might get old real fast if I'm not seeing changes. But I'd venture to guess that I'm going to see the gains I want if I'm consistent with it just like with running. I had a feeling I needed to make a change since my quads were burning during most of Dopey weekend (and yet I never get that feeling in training). The biking has shown me real quick were some non-running deficiencies have been sitting. So I'm hoping this addition will address some of those issues.

I always do my strength training in the morning on weekdays, because otherwise it's too easy to skip in favor of something else. (On weekdays, I run in the late afternoon/evenings.) I am probably unusual compared to most folks on here because I started weight training (including core) long before I started running, and I didn't stop doing it when I started running. I think it's definitely helpful for running and overall helpful as we age.

Can you describe the exercises? The planks are self-explanatory, although there are a lot of variations, but I can picture many different exercises that might be "leg lowering" or "metronome", for example. And dying to know what a "Jane Fonda" is! :)

I always do my strength training in the morning on weekdays, because otherwise it's too easy to skip in favor of something else. (On weekdays, I run in the late afternoon/evenings.) I am probably unusual compared to most folks on here because I started weight training (including core) long before I started running, and I didn't stop doing it when I started running. I think it's definitely helpful for running and overall helpful as we age.

Can you describe the exercises? The planks are self-explanatory, although there are a lot of variations, but I can picture many different exercises that might be "leg lowering" or "metronome", for example. And dying to know what a "Jane Fonda" is! :)

Leg lowering = Lay on back. Lift legs together until they are perpendicular to the ground. Then slowly lower the legs from perpendicular until your the small of the back is no longer in contact with the ground. Then lift back up.

Metronome = Same starting position as "leg lowering". Instead of lowering back to the ground in the same plane, instead twist the legs to come down by the sides of your body (while remaining straight legged).

Jane Fonda = Lay on side with elbow on ground pointed in the same direction as eyes (kind of using arm as pillow). Whole torso and hips touch the ground. Arm not underneath head is bent and on hip that is not touching the ground. Leg that is on top should have the foot placed in front of the bottom leg on the ground. The foot on top should be twisted down and inwards. Left top leg ~2 feet off the ground while maintaining the hip in an even position (not tilted forwards or backwards towards the ground).

For $5, it isn't a bad deal to see the videos which show them in much more detail and better explained then I could. You get a total of 12 videos with the 9 to follow ranging in duration from 11 min to 30 min each.

This is how I felt when I was doing core work last year (I really have to get back to that), I could really tell that it kept me from "collapsing" in on my core when I would be tired at the end of long runs.

This is how I felt when I was doing core work last year (I really have to get back to that), I could really tell that it kept me from "collapsing" in on my core when I would be tired at the end of long runs.
Exactly!! My buddy talked me into going to the gym in adddition to my post run core routine. It’s crazy how much it helps. When I want to dig in at the end I feel so much stronger and like you said my form doesn’t collapse!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter