To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Thanks for the outpouring of appreciation! I truly appreciate it. I've had several conversations with my wife about training plans and coaching. She supports my continued growth in this area. The possibility of becoming certified as a true coach (RRCA or USATF), starting a website, writing something, trying to reach out to locals are things I've considered to grow this. I feel as if the things I've done to date have shown to me that I can be adaptable and make custom training plans for a wide variety of users. But like lots of great things, when other people find it, then other people also find it. I hate turning people down asking for help. I want to help. I continue to offer help even when someone doesn't directly ask me for it. Because I know the pure joy and elation that a well crushed PR can feel like. And like all runners, I yearn for that next moment. I know the hard work and dedication that goes into training. I know what it's like to finally have things click and suddenly things seem so different. I want to continue to share all of that. To date, I've only turned one person down and it was only because the timeframe on their plan was so short it didn't make sense for either of us. But as the number of people I coach has swelled, so has the time it takes to help everyone. So to continue doing this, I've got to figure out a way to justify the time spent on this to my family. My family has had this conversation several times, and I continue to put it off because I didn't want to come to what is for me a very tough choice. Either I stop writing training plans and coaching or I ask for compensation for my services. I've never felt justified asking for compensation. I'm not classically trained. I have no professional experience. I do this as a hobby helping out other like minded runners. So, I feel as if I shouldn't set a standard for compensation.

"My charge for my services is what you believe is the fair market value of a custom training plan with unlimited contact with the hobby unaccredited coach who wrote the plan who generally responds in less than 24 hours."

I'll leave it at that. You give me whatever you think is fair for what you believe are the services I provide. If that means $1, then I will gladly accept it. As I continue to grow as a coach, I hope that I'll be able to offer better services and in turn continue to meet the goals of the users that have set before me. And I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from continuing with or asking for my coaching. I haven't figured out any details yet, and I'm certainly open to suggestions/discussion. I hope you can respect what has been a very difficult personal decision.

I've felt guilty since the beginning not compensating you for all your hard work and time, so I am 150% okay with and supportive of this!

t4g22.jpg

Thanks for the outpouring of appreciation! I truly appreciate it. I've had several conversations with my wife about training plans and coaching. She supports my continued growth in this area. The possibility of becoming certified as a true coach (RRCA or USATF), starting a website, writing something, trying to reach out to locals are things I've considered to grow this. I feel as if the things I've done to date have shown to me that I can be adaptable and make custom training plans for a wide variety of users. But like lots of great things, when other people find it, then other people also find it. I hate turning people down asking for help. I want to help. I continue to offer help even when someone doesn't directly ask me for it. Because I know the pure joy and elation that a well crushed PR can feel like. And like all runners, I yearn for that next moment. I know the hard work and dedication that goes into training. I know what it's like to finally have things click and suddenly things seem so different. I want to continue to share all of that. To date, I've only turned one person down and it was only because the timeframe on their plan was so short it didn't make sense for either of us. But as the number of people I coach has swelled, so has the time it takes to help everyone. So to continue doing this, I've got to figure out a way to justify the time spent on this to my family. My family has had this conversation several times, and I continue to put it off because I didn't want to come to what is for me a very tough choice. Either I stop writing training plans and coaching or I ask for compensation for my services. I've never felt justified asking for compensation. I'm not classically trained. I have no professional experience. I do this as a hobby helping out other like minded runners. So, I feel as if I shouldn't set a standard for compensation.

"My charge for my services is what you believe is the fair market value of a custom training plan with unlimited contact with the hobby unaccredited coach who wrote the plan who generally responds in less than 24 hours."

I'll leave it at that. You give me whatever you think is fair for what you believe are the services I provide. If that means $1, then I will gladly accept it. As I continue to grow as a coach, I hope that I'll be able to offer better services and in turn continue to meet the goals of the users that have set before me. And I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from continuing with or asking for my coaching. I haven't figured out any details yet, and I'm certainly open to suggestions/discussion. I hope you can respect what has been a very difficult personal decision.
I think you know I think you should start a business. @jennamfeo has a fine idea I guess but there must be a better way to get $$$ to you :D

What do we think of the name "Blaser Coaching Services"? I'm certainly open to suggestions. I think I'd rather go with Blaser than DopeyBadger though. It's more of a long term outlook, as I'm likely to always be a Blaser, but not always be a DopeyBadger.
I actually thought about this while running yesterday, haha. I totally understand making a more professional name for yourself. But all my plans will forever be DopeyBadger Plans (TM/OG). I like Blaser Coaching Services, though! :thumbsup2

I'm in as well! I paid good money for a 6 month plan from JG's running coach and felt like it was wasted money (that I couldn't afford to waste!). I got a plan that looked just like everyone else's, a once a week video chat that was canceled at least half of the times scheduled, and emailed answered to questions. I know that getting sick before marathon weekend hindered my results of the plan you made me and you aren't 100% down with my 5 marathons this year goal, but I really, really feel like your plans for me changed my running 100%! I will continue to ask you for plans and will be completely in on paying for them, whether in apple fritters, Disney gift cards or cash, lol! :)

I'm all in for paying. I have said that before and forgot to follow through with some Disney gift cards. :P

Even as I rethink my running goals and upcoming races, you have gone above and beyond to help my last year and this one with plans to run races and become a better runner.

You just tell us your PayPal email address!

What do we think of the name "Blaser Coaching Services"? I'm certainly open to suggestions. I think I'd rather go with Blaser than DopeyBadger though. It's more of a long term outlook, as I'm likely to always be a Blaser, but not always be a DopeyBadger.

Solid name.

If I can offer you any help with your endeavors, please let me know. My background is in writing and editing and I’d be happy to volunteer any of those services.

If I can offer you any help with your endeavors, please let me know. My background is in writing and editing and I’d be happy to volunteer any of those services.

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely keep it in mind.

Paypal makes my brain hurt. Definitely a different world then I'm use to. I setup a Paypal Business account because that seemed like the best long term answer. Thankfully, being in WI looks like I don't have to charge sales tax (to WI residents) since I don't count my service as a good (like a freelance writer). Still need to set everything up, but I'm getting there. Major headache as I accidentally created the first account on the Paypal Czech Republic website. Ugh, what a pain...

In other news of the household...

-G has another audition on Monday. This one is for Kid Trax Toys.
-Since the remodel of our house fell through last year, we've instead decided to sell our house and build a new one. We've been going through the process the last couple of weeks, but after discussing with the bank, builder, and developer it seems as if this might actually happen. The developer offered us a no strings attached commitment on a lot which can be contingent on financing. We committed to a lot this morning. Realtors coming to look at our house to sell tomorrow. Man, they were SUPER quick to respond. Like seconds after website interactions. So, possible new journey ahead.
-Not all rosy updates though as Lucy (our dog) has been struggling for the last month or so. She seems to have lost strength in her hind legs and is quite unbalanced. She's only just under 7 years old. We've seen the vet on multiple occasions and for the time being she's on some steroids which seem to be helping. But as we reduced dose (per instructions), she reverted back to losing strength. It may end up being a long term treatment for her, but we're still in the midst of determining her options and possible cause. Poor Lucy!

Thanks for the offer! I will definitely keep it in mind.

Paypal makes my brain hurt. Definitely a different world then I'm use to. I setup a Paypal Business account because that seemed like the best long term answer. Thankfully, being in WI looks like I don't have to charge sales tax (to WI residents) since I don't count my service as a good (like a freelance writer). Still need to set everything up, but I'm getting there. Major headache as I accidentally created the first account on the Paypal Czech Republic website. Ugh, what a pain...

In other news of the household...

-G has another audition on Monday. This one is for Kid Trax Toys.
-Since the remodel of our house fell through last year, we've instead decided to sell our house and build a new one. We've been going through the process the last couple of weeks, but after discussing with the bank, builder, and developer it seems as if this might actually happen. The developer offered us a no strings attached commitment on a lot which can be contingent on financing. We committed to a lot this morning. Realtors coming to look at our house to sell tomorrow. Man, they were SUPER quick to respond. Like seconds after website interactions. So, possible new journey ahead.
-Not all rosy updates though as Lucy (our dog) has been struggling for the last month or so. She seems to have lost strength in her hind legs and is quite unbalanced. She's only just under 7 years old. We've seen the vet on multiple occasions and for the time being she's on some steroids which seem to be helping. But as we reduced dose (per instructions), she reverted back to losing strength. It may end up being a long term treatment for her, but we're still in the midst of determining her options and possible cause. Poor Lucy!
Wow! Lots of exciting stuff going on! I don’t know anything about the business side of PayPal, but I definitely use it. I’m looking forward to contributing to the Blaser Coaching Services. :)

I hope G’s audition goes well!

I keep thinking about having a house built, just to have everything the way I want it, but haven’t been able to pull the trigger on that. But that sounds exciting!

Poor Lucy. This makes me sad. I hope the vet is able to find something that will have long term positive results.

I hope G’s audition goes well!

Thanks! They just called out of the blue and said the people at Kid Trax liked her. Thankfully this audition on Monday is local.

I keep thinking about having a house built, just to have everything the way I want it, but haven’t been able to pull the trigger on that. But that sounds exciting!

It's exciting and nerve wracking for sure. A lot of variables will all be up in the air at the same time. Like a good juggler, I've got to maintain balance across them all for things to work out as hoped.

Poor Lucy. This makes me sad. I hope the vet is able to find something that will have long term positive results.

It's definitely been tough watching her. She seems upbeat about it, but she also gives you those sad eyes. Hoping for the best.

You need a logo of "Blaser Coaching Services" with the S in "Blaser" like a lightning bolt! We are all lightning fast following your plans, right? :) I'm assuming someone here is artistic enough to create this, because it's certainly not me.

You need a logo of "Blaser Coaching Services" with the S in "Blaser" like a lightning bolt! We are all lightning fast following your plans, right? :) I'm assuming someone here is artistic enough to create this, because it's certainly not me.

I thought about that as well. I like the idea. But I also didn't want to discourage anyone if they saw my logo to assume that I only work with lighting fast people. I want it to be known that I can make custom plans for all pace, styles of runners, time available, etc. Could someone perceive the lighting bolt as exclusionary?

What if we make the S look like a road? Or does that seem like you're some sort of a car-racing coach?
Do we have a designer here who can come up with some possible logos for you to choose from?

Whoa. A lot to take in. Congrats on G's audition (go girl!) and congrats on house plans!! Building is always so fun to me.
I'm sorry about Lucy! My mom had a Dachshund who lost the mobility in her back legs, so they got her some wheels, which helped, and then all of a sudden she could walk again. It was the strangest thing. Hoping Lucy gets her mobility back too.
I like the lightening bolt because to me, fast is relative to the person. I get stoked when I run my T Pace on point, but my T Pace isn't someone else's you know? That never discourages me. I think shoe laces are cheesy. But I like the road idea and maybe just a shoe if done right. I have no original ideas to add though. Haha.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter