• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To move to Atlanta from Michigan?

momw/4boys

Earning My Ears
Help! I need some input from people who have relocated with children or are living in Atlanta. My DH has received a great career oportunity in Atlanta. We would have to move our 4 DS's ages 10, 7, 6, 4. I have never seen Atlanta. The area we are looking into is Alpharetta. We have to give an answer, and I am so torn. Both our families live up here. I don't know what the weather is like down there in the summers. How are the schools? Then there's the whole selling our house this time of year and him being down there working until it sells and me being on my own with the kids until then. If anyone can give me some advice or tell me about relocating with children I would GREATLY appreciate it!! :goodvibes

I have lived in Atlanta practically my entire life (I moved here in 1986 and have lived here ever since). I love Atlanta! I work in Alpharetta, but live in Canton. Alpharetta is a great area, but there are two problems - the property taxes in Fulton County are outrageous and the prices of houses are higher also. You could move to either Cherokee County or Forsyth County, which are the surrounding counties to Fulton County. I actually reside in Cherokee County and not only are the property taxes less, but the county sales tax is less expensive (I think Fulton is 7% and Cherokee is 5%). My husband and I lived in Cobb County for almost six years and the property taxes are less in Cherokee County than Cobb County. Plus, the lot that our house sits on is larger than those in Fulton County.

We absolutely love living in Cherokee County! We live off of Highway 20 in Canton and we are in a rural part of the county, but we are near practically everything! Plus, it is quiet without hardly any traffic. It is approximately 21 miles each way to work, but most of the time, I don't run into any traffic from Canton to Alpharetta. Alpharetta is also great! If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to send me a PM. I would be more than happy with any questions that you have regarding Alpharetta. If you decide to move to Alpharetta, I will be more than happy to be your tour guide (if you need one). Please let me know if you need any assistance.

momw/4boys said:
Help! I need some input from people who have relocated with children or are living in Atlanta. My DH has received a great career oportunity in Atlanta. We would have to move our 4 DS's ages 10, 7, 6, 4. I have never seen Atlanta. The area we are looking into is Alpharetta. We have to give an answer, and I am so torn. Both our families live up here. I don't know what the weather is like down there in the summers. How are the schools? Then there's the whole selling our house this time of year and him being down there working until it sells and me being on my own with the kids until then. If anyone can give me some advice or tell me about relocating with children I would GREATLY appreciate it!! :goodvibes

I grew up in Plymouth, Mi and moved to the Alpharetta area a few years ago. I love it here. The only bad thing about Atlanta is the traffic. The schools in North Fulton County seem pretty good. The summers aren't much hotter or more humid than they are in Michigan, they just last longer. And you can't beat the winters down here. It snows maybe once a year and the temperatures are very mild compared to what you are used to.

Forget about property taxes & good schools. You will only be 7 hrs from the Mouse!!!!!! :rotfl:

Thank you all for your information. I knew the friendly people on these boards would help me. Yes, the best part of moving is the proximity to the Mouse!!

We live in Alpharetta and LOVE it! It is an awesome, family-friendly area with tons and tons of activities for kids. Parks, Little League, good churches, great restaurants and shopping. Alpharetta has a green-way with miles of trails for riding bikes/jogging. Then in Atlanta you have the theater, opera, Pro Football/Baseball/Hockey/Basketball teams, High Museum, Atlanta Zoo, the new Aquarium, Childrens Museum, Centennial Olympic Park, Coca Cola Museum.

It's wonderful place to raise a family, and the people are so friendly (everyone is a transplant in Atlanta- very few "natives"). The public school system in North Fulton County is terrific. I can't imagine living any where else now. Good luck!

It does seem like such a decision, especially if you have to make it soon. We were in a similar situation a few years ago. My dh got laid off after 14 years with the same company. He looked in vain for anything near home. Finally, he received a job offer in another state. Although our children were small (2 & 3), I told him to go on and accept the job and I would stay behind with the kids until we saw how things worked out. It was stressful for me, being alone with two small kids And I do mean alone--we have no extended family nearby. I could have used a hand during that time, but what few friends we had "shied away" from me for fear of being roped into being "our keeper". I mean, I couldn't even get a friend of neighbor to give me a lift to the kids daycare when my car's battery died one cold, rainy night. Finally, one of the daycare workers drove them home. She gets a $50 gift certificate from me every Christmas for her simple act of kindness.

Well, like I say, being alone with small children is stressful, but you can do it. Its a good thing I didn't immediatedly follow dh to his new job. About 5 months after starting the new job, the company started having financial troubles and layoffs seemed likely. Also, one of the headhunters dh had dealt with trying to find a local job came through with a fantastic offer back home. Within 8 months dh was back home, with a 25% increase in pay and excellent benefits. While your situation certainly won't be the same, still, I think its prudent to stay behind for ahwile and see how things work out before making the major committment of selling your home, packing, moving, all for an unknown. Its tight financially, but we managed. DH stayed in a tiny efficiency apartment and I picked up extra cash with a home-based business. If I were you I'd wait ahwile to see how things work out before cutting your ties in Michigan. BTW, I'm from Michigan--Warren, to be exact. We now live in Texas. I certainly don't miss the snow, but it does get almowst unbearably hot during the summer months. Also, do be aware that this region of the country is quite conservative and religious (this is the Bible Belt). Actually, that lifestyle suits us fine, but do be aware that there are cultural differences that you may or may not be comfortable with. Good luck, whatever you decide!

As one of the other posters said, look into Forsyth county just on the other side of the line for Alpharetta. Where will DH work, what area of town. Traffic on 400 can be very congested. I live in Gainesville about 20 more miles north from Alpharetta and drive to the Perimeter area south of Alpharetta every day 52 miles one way. We moved out of Gwinnett county and came north toward the lake to Hall county. Both Forsyth, and hall county have great schools. Alpharetta is nice. I am one of the few native Atlantans and will be more than happy to help anyway I can. There is a Scottish Rite childrens hospital not too far away and Northside for Adults in the same area. Georgetown Pediatrics is one of the best in the area and they have an office in Alpharetta and Cumming which is near the Forsyth county area. Good luck to you. Weather here is nice most of the time. Only one suggestion get a basement in your home as we do get tornados not as much as Oklahoma but you want to have someplace to go if you need it. :flower:

indigoxtreme said:
As one of the other posters said, look into Forsyth county just on the other side of the line for Alpharetta. Where will DH work, what area of town. Traffic on 400 can be very congested. I live in Gainesville about 20 more miles north from Alpharetta and drive to the Perimeter area south of Alpharetta every day 52 miles one way. We moved out of Gwinnett county and came north toward the lake to Hall county. Both Forsyth, and hall county have great schools. Alpharetta is nice. I am one of the few native Atlantans and will be more than happy to help anyway I can. There is a Scottish Rite childrens hospital not too far away and Northside for Adults in the same area. Georgetown Pediatrics is one of the best in the area and they have an office in Alpharetta and Cumming which is near the Forsyth county area. Good luck to you. Weather here is nice most of the time. Only one suggestion get a basement in your home as we do get tornados not as much as Oklahoma but you want to have someplace to go if you need it. :flower:

We actually live in South Forsyth with an Alpharetta address! Low taxes and all the benefits of Alpharetta!

My family and I relocated to the ATL area last year and love it! My wife actually said she would not want to move back to our hometown.

We live in South Forsyth County and have no complaints. The schools have been wonderful and there is plenty to do.

As far as the traffic goes, you just have to learn the shortcuts and plan accordingly.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

We're in the process of moving right now. We're going to the Dallas area. It's a bit different for us, though, because we're both from the area and DH's parents live outside of Fort Worth. We did make the decision very quickly. DH accepted the job offer the Sunday that was 2 weeks ago and gave his 2 weeks' notice at work the next day. Yesterday was his last day at his old job, and the movers come Tuesday.

I think you'll love this part of the country. I live about 2 hours north of Atlanta, and we go there somewhat frequently for different events. The traffic is bad, but it's bad in all big cities.

Moving with little ones isn't easy, but it can be done. I have a 15 month old and a 2 year old. Having family nearby while you're packing up and getting ready to go will be a big blessing. I only have a sister around here, and she lives 45 minutes away and has her own high-needs 2 year old. There have been many days when I wished I had someone nearby to help out while I got us ready to move.

I would recommend Forsyth County as well! I grew up there and lived there for 30 years until we moved an hour and a half away to Rome for my husband's job. I taught in the public school system there and I can say that the schools are outstanding! There are so many fantastic neighborhoods, parks, churches, restaurants.....and you would have the luxury of being close to Lake Lanier! I love Alpharetta as well! You can't go wrong! There are so many awesome things to do in Atlanta...my husband and I go there for 'mini' vacations now since we aren't as close anymore! Good luck with your decision!! I wish we were the ones moving there!!!

I grew up in the Roswell/Alpharetta area and I would leave Orlando and move back in a second if only my DH would move out of the state of Florida! He works for the government and already has 11 years vested in retirement.

Thank you all for your advice. It is wonderful to hear that the schools are good because we come from an area with excellent schools. We are taking the plunge! My husband accepted the job and we will be moving as soon as we can sell the house. He will be starting in December and we will follow accordingly. I am nervous. But after reading all of your feedback, I am excited. We are going down there the Thanksgiving weekend with the DS's to see the area. Hopefully to check out some houses. Now I have a good idea where to even begin.
Thank you all again!

Alpharetta is a nice area but, I would not fight with the highway 400 traffic. We live in East cobb and we love it. Our taxes are only 5%.and, we have the best schools..... Check out Sope Creek Elem, Dickerson, Walton High. Sope Creek is 2nd in the state and the all rate highly. The homes here are pretty pricy. A 3/4 bedroom fixer upper will run you about $250,000. All so try Triit Elem, Hightower , and Pope. Good luck!!!

I can't believe this I just PM triplefigs to ask her about Georgia.
Now I find a whole thread on the subject.
Leave it to the Dis. :disrocks:

I have lived in the Atlanta area since 1973 and attended cobb and alpharetta schools. They were both excellent. Alpharetta has lots of new and used housing at a variety of price points. The biggest problem with Alpharetta (my parents still live there) is traffic. It has everything, but it will take you 30 min. to get anywhere. I would advise your husband to try his commute during rush hour before purchasing a home. If you have any questions PM me at any time. Good luck, Atlanta is a wonderful welcoming city, and the new aquarium should be great!! :wave2:

We just moved to Atlanta almost a year and half ago from Long Island. My husband works in Alpharetta (Fulton County) but we live in South Forsyth County (Suwanee). As others have said, traffic is horrible here, stay off of 400 during rush hour. We live 14 miles from his office, but it takes him about 30-35 minutes to get home.
Research the schools for yourself to see what is important to you. After our research my husband would only consider the following elementary schools: Big Creek, Settles Bridge or Sharon. We attend Sharon. We feel these schools are excellent (even had to retain our 2nd grader, we feel the schools are about 1 year ahead of where we came from).
As others have said, Fulton County (Alpharetta) have pretty high taxes, you can get an equal valued house and pay about 1/2 the price in property taxes in South Forsyth. We bought a 3200 sq foot house for $360,000 and pay $2,400 in taxes.

I was concerned about the weather also. Summers really aren't that much hotter, it just comes a little earlier and stays a little longer. Can't beat the Fall or Spring, just gorgeous!! Today was about 75 degrees, not bad for the middle of November.

When we moved my kids were 11,7,3. They all adjusted fine. I was worried about my oldest who was starting 6th grade (Middle School). As it turned out, our sub division was being moved to a brand new school - so it was new for everone- really helped him out. We are lucky and our block has tons of kids!!!.

Just so you know South Forsyth County is experiencing a population growth. It's crazy right now. Many new homes and stores going up. I believe 3 new schools will be opening in the Fall of 2006. They are also redistricting and the plans call for my kids to go to a new school (to be built) in the fall of 2007. If you consider this area, be sure to ask about the redistricting.

Sorry I'm rambling!! I know how nerve racking this all can be. If you have any questions or need a Realtor (I had a great one), feel free to ask. Good Luck! I think you will really like it here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter