To rope drop or not to rope drop

RD is hard on us, due to the time change, but we find it works for us to avoid crowds, etc. And with the new FP system at EP, HS and AK, seems you need to RD there too or spend ages in line.

But, it is your vacation. Due what works for you!

Thanks everyone :) We were fortunate to get FPP for our "must do" rides and I have decided to just skip Navi River (we have FPP for FOP). I know Navi is the new ride but this is our first visit so everything is new and exciting so I think we can save Navi for a future visit. If we don't do NAvi then I don't think that we need to RD Animal Kingdom because we have FPP for what we want to do and mostly just want to walk the trails, go to the Boneyard (my 6 year old's main interest) and see Rivers of Light (with dining package ticket).
The other days we will rope drop to take advantage of early morning lower crowds.
I just like the idea of having one morning of our trip where we can go at our own pace. If we happen to wake up super early that morning and are raring to go then we will do it :) But I think I will go into the trip more relaxed if I know that there is at least one morning where the pressure is off.
Thanks everyone for all of your great input :)

I think I've only been at a park once for RD a zillion years ago. Will we be there for RD this next trip, probably but that's because I somehow gave birth to an early bird who doesn't realize people shouldn't be up before 6 unless they absolutely have to be...

I would RD two days, sleep in day 3 and RD the next two days...but this is if you don't stay in a park late and you don't have teenagers.

We usually always RD, even if we have FPP for popular rides, because then we can ride at least one of them twice (for example Soarin' - go straight there at RD then ride again later with FPP). I am the farthest thing from a morning person, but I have RDed and not RDed at Disney, and getting there early is worth it. However, we usually go to MK twice during the week and don't feel the need to RD both days. If I was going to be there for 4 days and going to a different park each day, I would RD every day.

I personally am not a morning person, so the only time I would take advantage of rope drop would be because we want to ride the popular rides without having FastPasses. Otherwise, we just try to get there around opening time and ride the popular stuff, and then use FastPasses around late morning/early afternoon, because that's when crowds start to get huge. Just my thoughts. ;)

With FP+ we don’t do rope drop every day.

When the kids were little we would do more rope drops. Now my dd19 rarely rolls over in bed before noon at Disney. Ds17 will roll out of bed & head to the parks for early rope drop & we just meet him later. He goes on no sleep at Disney. Lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter