To stay or not to stay?

CrazyforDisney5

Earning My Ears
My family is coming to Jacksonville at the end of July for a week and we are going to do 2 days at Disney while there. Originally we were just planning to drive both days (we were going to split the days up) but now I’m thinking we should stay overnight and do the days back to back. I’m just worried that everyone will be miserable if we aren’t able to go back to the hotel for an afternoon break. What are your thoughts??

My family is coming to Jacksonville at the end of July for a week and we are going to do 2 days at Disney while there. Originally we were just planning to drive both days (we were going to split the days up) but now I’m thinking we should stay overnight and do the days back to back. I’m just worried that everyone will be miserable if we aren’t able to go back to the hotel for an afternoon break. What are your thoughts??

We used to stay at a location about 90 mins from WDW and always found it was worth staying overnight the one night.

Sounds like you'd be on the road for 10 hours for 2 days at Disney if you drove back and forth each way. That's a lot of driving time and gas. You could probably find a place to stay with some of the money you would save in gas.

I live in Jacksonville and recommend staying in Orlando. Your experience will be far better. I have gone up and back a few times (not just for Disney) and always vow to never do it again.

The "2.5-hour drive" can easily turn into a lot more.

Don't overthink it, just get a room somewhere around the tourist zone and avoid the drive and enjoy your vacation!

No. Just no. Don't plan to drive back and forth.

There are often traffic delays making that 2.5 hour trip much longer.

Driving back and forth after exhausting park days would be miserable.

I suggest you stay in Orlando. A 2.5 hr drive after spending a summer day at the parks is hard. Look into the good neighbors hotels near Disney Springs. A afternoon break saved me while at the Theme parks first week of June. You will be happy you did.

I would book a room and relax. My DS and DD are 18 and 16 respectively. They have lots of energy. My DS plays tennis. My DD does color guard for marching band. They are both quite active. They needed the break just as much as my DW and I. If your family wants to close down a park, get a room and take a break.

We stayed at Drury Inn and Suites in Doctor Phillips recently. Cheap price with a decent breakfast and nice happy hour 5:30-7pm. Drinks were weak but sodas available and food was good. (website shows the 'snacks' they serve but most families were treating it like a meal. The chicken tenders night was very popular). Lots of families there. Easy drive to WDW.

Also we got there around 10:30am and we were able to go to our room, no waiting.

Last edited:
We drive to the parks from Jax often and while it's not a bad drive, the idea of going home just to go back is a waste of time IMO. We stay overnight and don't go back and forth. Drive is usually uneventful but I-4 is always almost a traffic nightmare so if I can be on I4 as little as possible, I try to stick to that.

Stay overnight. We stayed at a fairly new SpringHill Suites at Flamingo Crossing just off the west side of Disney property for the night before we checked into our resort last month. Not really any restaurants super close, but right there next to Disney property and didn't have the terrible traffic of Hwy 192 or the area around Disney Springs.

Stay.

Another vote for staying. The benefit of having the option to go back to the hotel mid afternoon for a break and to cool down will be greart and saves the drive back when you will likely be tired.
That is a great perk to staying on site. Even better when you are at a park where you can walk back to your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter