To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

Honestly, this may sound like common sense, but if you are polite and pleasant, we can do so much for you. Of course this works the opposite way as well.... :goodvibes

I know this is from 100 pages ago (or so) but I honestly think this is why I got to meet Rabbit at MK on Dec. 22nd. I had talked to a CM who was the handler for the Tremaines and had asked about Rabbit. She told me to go his handler and start asking questions and told me to drop her name. Later, while I was in line hoping and praying, she came over and we talked for a few minutes. The next thing I know she's up at the front of the line pointing me out to the handler at the front. Sure enough I was the last person to meet Rabbit before he went home for the day.

I just started the College Program on the 7th, so I haven't been here very long, but I have a couple tips that I stumbled upon by complete accident while in the Magic Kingdom on a day off the other day. First off: a day is much more rewarding if you go in with only a couple of must-dos, treating everything else like icing on the cake. This is more of a mentality thing than anything you really have to do, but it makes for a much more pleasant day than rushing around trying to pack every ride in in one day. The other is a PERFECT spot for viewing both MSEP and Wishes-- right between the Partners statue and the gateway to Tomorrowland. The parade will go right past you, and then you just have to turn around for a totally unblocked view of the castle and the fireworks!

Thanks!

So so many great tips, and so so many wonderful stories. I think the spirit of kindness so many of your DIS'ers and CMs have really is what makes Disney great. It's not one person - it's up to all of us. my trip is not until July, but I'm dreaming of Disney everyday...

I just saw this thread show up in my subscribed threads list and said to myself "hmm..I don't remember subscribing to this thread"....

that's because I subscribed to it back in 2009 when it started! And it's still just as relevant!! Love this thread.

It has taken me several days to get through this thread and it brought back memories. Most of the CMs we ran into were great and went above and beyond especially since we were wearing "first visit" buttons. Even some guests helped. We had bought a brand new minnie baby doll for our 1 year dd and she dropped it and it was being dragged by the stroller. A girl maybe 10 -12 stopped us and picked it up for us. I also noticed several other teens that offered to help us with the stroller on buses.

Small gestures like this really helped a tired mom.

And while I agree that being nice to the CMs is so important, please don't forget to be kind to each other as well.:thumbsup2

When my DD was almost 7, she asked if we could go back to the room for a rest and we kept saying, Sure Honey, right after we...". After about four of those she lost it. She is usually the MOST reasonable polite child and it was all we could do to apologized and hold her while she screamed - now I never judge when I see a child pitching at fit at WDW

Actually, a tip about Cast Members:

One of the things our family does is carry some note cards with us to write down the names of CMs who go above and beyond, and "shine" at what they're doing. We put down their name, where they were working, and brief description of what was exemplary. We then make a stop at guest relations, on the way out of the park or resort, ask to see a manager, and "turn them in." It never fails to delight Guest Services, and it's good training for my kids in noticing what there is around them to be grateful for.

That is a fantastic thing to do and I will be using your example with my three kids this summer! What a great lesson to teach about having an attitude of gratitude even while on vacation!

In Feb 06 we were at WDW for my 5yo son's wish trip. We were in ToonTown and stumbled on a group of characters. As I remember it, we started to stand in line but one of the handlers', having seen his big button identifying him as a wish child, suggested that we wait "Over there, on the other side of that bush." Just a couple of minutes later, Rabbit, Pinochio & Bre'r Bear came over and spent a few minutes of their break time with just my son. They didn't have to do that - we were prepared to wait - but would likely not have not gotten to them as their time was up.

Off property (@ Universal) - we were waiting to see Dora (3 kids in front of us - it wasn't a long line) she signed son's autograph book then turned to an empty page in the back "NO LiNES w/ Button!" (I got my a$$ chewed out by DORA for having my son wait his turn.)

Same trip at the Studios. Lilo was heading toward the big hat with a troupe of kids behind her - her handler saw my son and another wish child, took them where there was a wall at Lilo's back and made an announcement that Lilo "Would be spending a few minutes with some special guests and to please not crowd around."

I know that EVERY child who visits Disney is a special guest, but in the cases of the wish kids - they may never get to go back. So if you see something like this happen - please understand that for some families there is no second chance to make these memories.

Heres a few more I thought of:) :

-When your at the MK if you dont feel like going all the way back to your hotel for a rest he Contempoary is a good place to rest:thumbsup2

-If you dont mind missing out on seeing Tinker Bell, Wishes can be enjoyed from outside MK. The crowds for Wishes can get crazy in the park so sometimes its nice to be outside watching with less crowds

very true. We went in Sept, labor day weekend last year, my DD can't handle the noise or fireworks crowd, so we left and went to the car/ parking lot and waited on our friends and their family to enjoy the show. We were in the first row of parked cars in the handicapped area (our friend has mobility issues) We had the BEST view with no crowds, no horrible noises, just peace and quiet. Plus I was surprised that the security guards kept coming by to check on us, I guess they were worried about us being there by ourselves, but they just laughed when I said we had the best view of the fireworks :)

gk90 Thanks for sharing the thread with the Beverly faces. It gave me a good chuckle. I so love to watch people in new situations.
So, three years ago I was walking through Epcot where my then 5 year old had his first Beverly soda. He had the reaction that you would expect. Last summer we took a road trip to Atlanta where they have the Coca-Cola Museum. They have a tasting room with about 120+ sodas, probably more. I see a fountain with the Beverly soda. Now, my son has no recollection of his other experience and this time I was ready and got it all on video. Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtW6qaNO-4

From a Cosmic Rays CM...

-Get there early, especially during peak seasons like now. We open at 10 am but don't get busy until around 11:30. Later in the afternoon, between 4 and 6 pm, is another somewhat slow time. It is insanely busy between the hours of 12 and 3 pm almost every day.

-If you don't like ice in your drink, mention it to the cashier. He or she can make a note of it in the order.

-Please use both sides of the register

-If you love alot of bacon on your burger, get there later at night. We often have extra and anything we dont use gets pitched, so there tend to be some really "baconed up" burgers then.

-I love it when people ask me questions that are non-Cosmic's related, such as how does FP work or where are the best places to view the fireworks.

-Our patio is a great spot to see The Magic, The Memories, and You. :lovestruc

-Instead of going in with the pre-parade/fireworks rush to eat dinner, wait until after the fireworks are over. We are usually open 2 or 3 hours later after the fireworks, and the place is usually fairly dead around 10:30 pm. (This is a good time to grab a baconed up burger...:laughing:)

-If you want chili cheese fries for cheaper than $4.79...get a side of fries ($2.66) and a side of chili ($1.00). Add your own cheese at the topping bar :goodvibes

Just thought I'd add some character interaction tips

If you think your child might get scared when they're meeting the characters, tell the characters or their attendent as you're getting ready to meet them. That way the character can be careful about making large or sudden movements, they'll go out of their way to be more gentle. Just say something along the lines of, "Mickey, this is Johnny's first time meeting you and he's a little nervous."

Also approach the character first, showing your child that you aren't scared. If Mommy likes Mickey than he can't be that bad! Or have a big brother or sister go ahead, the little one usually follows right behind.

If you're holding a child that's getting scared, hold them on the side of you that's away from the character and not towards the character. Put your body between the child and the character.

If your child has never met characters before, start with the small and cuddley ones. Piglet and Pooh Bear are good choices. Hold off on the big guys like Tigger and Goofy until they've already gotten used to the little guys. And even though Stitch is small, he can be a scary little alien sometimes so take that into consideration.

Kids seem to be naturally attracted to characters faces, their noses especially. It's okay to touch, but not to tug or pull.

It would make for a cute picture, but Mickey can't hold your baby or put your toddler on his knee.

If your child has special needs that may not be obvious, tell the attendent.

Characters love meeting grownups as well as kids. But keep in mind that Mickey is just a little mouse, Dad may be quite a bit bigger than him so be careful and don't manhandle the mouse or any of his other little pals!

Girls, it's okay to flirt with Mickey and Donald and the boys, but don't forget that Minnie and Daisy can get jealous, so keep that in mind. Same goes for the guys, Minnie and Tink and the princesses are all very pretty ladies, so please treat them as such and be respectful.

Cinderella doesn't have to do her own laundry anymore but someone still does. So watch your icecream cones and drinks and lollipops when going in for a hug, it's best to have someone hold on to them for you.

If you notice any kind of wardrobe malfunction, tell the attendent. The characters want you to see them looking their best and they'll want to tuck in their shirt and shine their shoes as soon as they become aware of anything out of place.

And P.S. Mickey really likes it when you take the cap off the pen for him and open your autograph book!

Awesome tips everyone! Mine are:

Carry only what you need into the parks! Every extra ounce adds up and you will feel it at the end of the day.

As a scrapperbooker - the pictures are the best memories - so take extra film and memory cards and batteries! Also, take a picture of your name & address on your memory stick in case you lose it. I also have put address labels on my camera and bag in case I lose them. My very first trip back in '95 I lost a roll of film and I was lucky enough to get it back so I take extra precautions now with my pictures!

Enjoy the magic everywhere!

Two years ago we invited friends to go with us to Disney. We had a party of 4 adults and 4 children, we also had the dining plan. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. At the end of our 8 day trip we discovered that we had 13 CS and 48 snacks left. LOL
We were at AKL and I just stayed by the register and paid for everyone coming in, some turned me down thinking it was a scam. Then a group of mom's and small children came in. They were there for the day only and took us up on the offer. Not only did we make their day but they were able to afford to stay one more night since they saved so much money. Their husbands were in Iraq and they had saved money together to give themselves and their children a break.
Upon hearing this the CM at the register told them that if they would sit in a particular area to eat she would assist them in a moment. She got on the phone and another CM came in with meal vouchers for 2 more meals for the group. Disney magic was definately spread that day, it made my vacation all the more special to know that we were able to do that and that Disney did so as well.
We have also given fast passes away and umbrella strollers that we had purchased just for the trip. Small cost big smiles.
If we end up renting a stroller in a park and leave early, we have given the receipt and stroller to a family that doesn't have one. That wasy they can continue at ease and go to another park and save money, the only thing we ask is theat they pay it forward. Always makes a smile appear.

Two years ago we invited friends to go with us to Disney. We had a party of 4 adults and 4 children, we also had the dining plan. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. At the end of our 8 day trip we discovered that we had 13 CS and 48 snacks left. LOL
We were at AKL and I just stayed by the register and paid for everyone coming in, some turned me down thinking it was a scam. Then a group of mom's and small children came in. They were there for the day only and took us up on the offer. Not only did we make their day but they were able to afford to stay one more night since they saved so much money. Their husbands were in Iraq and they had saved money together to give themselves and their children a break.
Upon hearing this the CM at the register told them that if they would sit in a particular area to eat she would assist them in a moment. She got on the phone and another CM came in with meal vouchers for 2 more meals for the group. Disney magic was definately spread that day, it made my vacation all the more special to know that we were able to do that and that Disney did so as well.
We have also given fast passes away and umbrella strollers that we had purchased just for the trip. Small cost big smiles.
If we end up renting a stroller in a park and leave early, we have given the receipt and stroller to a family that doesn't have one. That wasy they can continue at ease and go to another park and save money, the only thing we ask is theat they pay it forward. Always makes a smile appear.

Hands down - one of the BEST WDW stories ever! Kudos to you & yours!:hug:

As a cast member when I see a guest doing something like this I always make an effort to thank the guest doing the good deed or give them some stickers. Just a little something to show that I apperciate the kindness they showed. It's awesome of you to spread the magic!

Bump.

I'm embarrassed to say I read this entire thread today. Not only did it make me MORE excited (if that were possible) to go to WDW, it also restored some faith in mankind.

I am reading this while watching "Eat Pray Love" and tears are forming. I love stories where people are doing good for others with no epectations. My friend and I were at WDW a year ago and ate lunch at Kona. The CM waiter suggested dessert at the Floridian. It was a no plans week. We took the monorail and walked up to the restaraunt not expecting to get in. They said it would be about 10 minutes. We sat down and waited a bit but was not in a hurry. We ordered tea and share a dessert (a trio with a chocolate easel). We had several CM come talk with us and then the waiter said we were good to go when we were ready. Ready???? We hadn't got the bill. I said something to him and he said it was taken care of no worries. WOW :banana:

We did leave a great tip. :) It was a trip of many Pixie Dusts :wizard:.

Plan nothing, expect nothing, and things will just happen :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter