To those on PinPics...

Mandy aka Minnie

Mouseketeer
I just wanted to ask you guys to please be kind on your replies to potential traders. I helped my little 11-year-old brother set up an account on PinPics a couple of days ago, and we're both beginning to regret it. He has gotten some pretty mean e-mails concerning his offers, and it's very disheartening for him. He (and probably other younger kids) doesn't know the difference between 'open stock' and 'service' etc, etc. He simply offers what he has (which is not much) for what he wants. (And some of them ARE great pins come to think of it! LOL!) In any case, I don't think anyone, young or old, deserves some of the e-mails he has received, and I hope no one else gets those types of e-mails. I just wanted to let everyone know that there are younger kids on PinPics as well. So if you receive a rediculous request (which may very well be from my brother!!) please don't be mean. It's probably just a child, trying to simply have fun and meet new people. And to tell you guys the truth, I think there are quite a few people on here who would gladly agree on a rediculous trade, just to make someone happy. I know I have my very own Pin Fairy who sent me a BEAUTIFUL pin from DCA 'just because'. (You know who you are!!) I didn't mean for this to be such a long post, I just wanted to 'warn' everyone about the silly children on PinPics. ;)

Good night, sleep tight!!

This is a very good comment on the actual pinpics situation... it is not a professional tool for traders, but for me and you it is a fun thing...
So i would gladly trade with your brother.. please see my traders under megaelch and let me know your account.. maybe we can figure out something...

Stephan

While I have to share in your disgust over receiving "mean" e-mail responses, I think you & your brother also must share in some responsibility in the situation.

No, pinpics isn't perfect, but it's very easy as you're browsing through the pictures to scroll down & read the details on the pin. Each pin listed says if it's a limited edition & what size it is. Perhaps he should keep a list (written) of various types he likes & offer trades accordingly. I'm sure he will have much better luck with the process.

Common sense says people will want to trade rack pins for rack pins LE's for similar edition sizes and so on. I know this is a very easy concept for a younger person to understand because my daughter is 9 & a pintrader!

There is also a new "common' pin trading board on Dizpins - that may be a much better trading situation for him - post your trades & wants & see what happens. I already have made a couple of great trades off this new board!

Good luck, hope to trade with you soon!
Karen

There is NO excuse for being impolite. There is no reason you can not respond with a polite "no thank you", a POLITE explanation of why, and a "feel free to make me a counter offer".

Part of our job as veteran pin traders is to educate. If we don't do this our hobby will not continue to grow.

Have your brother look at my traders under Dom13. If he sees something he likes I will do my best to work out a trade with him.

NO EXCUSE at all for being rude to anyone, ever!!! If I get an email about a trade, and dont see something on their pinpics list I say I am sorry but at this time I dont see anything I need but I am willing to hold the pin until we can work on a future trade......be nice people. Please, some of us are so new to this we dont know how rare some LEs are compared to others.

cindy

If I had a list on pinpics (dont have enough pins right now) Mandy I would share it with you and trade with your brother.....email me for an updated trader list.....I love LBEs and would be happy to try and trade with him

that do not respond to your requests at all. You have no idea if they got the messge or are they ignoring you because they thought the offer was ridiculous or what.

You know, it never hurts to ask, but to receive a rude response or no response is not necessary.

Who can truly determine the "value" of any one pin. There are some LE's that I would not have if someone gave them to me and others that are not LE's that I think are worth their weight in gold and other people probably would not have.

I am sorry that has happened to your brother. I suspect it has happened to many others also. Hope this does not discourage him in his pin trading endeavors.

Good luck to him.

I agree with Dom13 too. There is no excuse for rudeness. It takes just a few minutes to reply with a, "Thank you, but I'm not interested in this trade at this time" or even a "I'm not interested in this particular trade but, if you will send me your PinPics ID, perhaps we can find a different trade". I'm as much a pinatic as anyone but I know that what to me is holy grail may be "oh, that icky one" to someone else and vice versa.

We all started at one time and lacked the power pins for trade that some of the more veteran members have. I think it's great that DizPins has the common rack forum now as another tool but I don't think we should encourage any kind of elite "club" in our hobby by urging individuls to use that one instead. Just remember, "a shark by any other name"... Sharks don't necessarily fall into the "gouging innocents on the auction sites" niche. In my opinion, anyone who shows any kind of mean spiritedness with regard to "but mine is a limited edition so I don't have to be polite to a trader of COMMON pins" is a barracuda at least.

If you will let me know your brother's PinPics ID, Mandy, I'll be glad to take a look and see what he's offering for trade and what his wants are.

I'm offering an apology. My son has his trades listed under my name. Right now with school winding down he hasn't had time to respond to e-mails from pin pics and neither have I.

So if anyone e-mailed sneezy with a trade please hold tight we will be getting back with you once finals and school finishes.:(

with Dom13 there is never ANY excuse for rudeness regardless if you can read about LE or Rack pins. Period.
Holycow

I find that as a frequent receiver of " Pin Pics Trade Requests" sometimes I get:

---multiple duplicate messages containing the exact same pin trade request from the same person for some reason (no clue why);
---6 or more different requests in a day and each takes time to look up the pin(s) they are offering and deciding if I am interested in a trade;
---NO RESPONSE BACK from the originator after I write that I am interested in a trade making me think they found the pin they desired elsewhere or wondering what happened?

Sort of off-topic but maybe some can learn from my experiences:
I have learned to be much, much more selective about listing "MY WANTS" on Pin Pics keeping them down to the pins I truly want, not the pins I just see and list on a whim. That has narrowed the trade requests to a more manageable number somewhat.

And it was really tough but I finally figured out which pins I would list for trade on Pin Pics and those I would keep separate for trading 'only in person' or in reserve for 'trade negotiations' that might be Round 2 in the Trade Assistant of Pin Pics.

And my best results have been from the suggestions made earlier in this thread where I listed possible types of pins I would trade for the pin offered or where we exchanged Pin Pics user ids and looked over each other's traders or private offers.

And Mandy aka Minnie, I'm sorry if I ever sounded rude or curt in a response to a trade request. Maybe you caught me on one of those days where I was catching up on e-mail and had 10+ requests to consider.

Please have him look at my traders under "Mickay" and see if there is anything he is interested in. I will be gone most of this weekend camping with the Boy Scouts but will respond when I return!

It's just part of the risk that Internet anonimity brings to us all. No one knows how old we are, what gender we are, what color we are, etc. Your brother is merely getting indoctrinated into the cyberworld that he is inheriting. It will be good training for him.

I agree that there is no excuse for rudeness. While we were at WDW a few weeks ago we gave away several of our Hallmark/Disney pin pairs to young traders "just because." It made us smile & that's what was important to us!

When I first read the original post, my gut reaction was that there is never a need to be rude, and there really isn't.

But reading down the responses, it strikes me that everyone has a different interpretation of 'rude'.

I don't want to point one person out, but one response really hit me, to the effect of "while the response wasn't really rude, it still hurt my feelings". Maybe that person should write a 'suggested response' so that the person who doesn't want the particular trade can safely say no without offending, since merely not being rude is not sufficient.

There is someone on this board who hasn't responded to this thread but has to a similar thread that he gets up to 60 requests a day. I know I don't type well enough to respond with solicitative decorum to answer that many daily and still have a life away from my computer.

Every trade request sent is not only a request for a trade, it is also a demand on someone's time, something the recipient may or may not have available to give on any given day. Or may or may not want to..."I can research and respond to these six requests, or I can read May her story before bed" - not a contest.

While "I don't want your stinky pins" is really not an acceptable answer, maybe people could cut thier trading partners a little slack by realizing that lack of time and not rudeness may be the father of many of the responses or lack thereof.

I try to answer any requests I get, though I haven't set up on pinpics just because of these types of threads, and knowing I could not keep up with a bunch of requests all at once. But if I send a request, I figure I'll hear back in 2 days if they're interested. I don't really need a response if they're not, I figure everyone elses' time is valuable too.

I'm chiming in too! There is no excuse for rudeness and it only takes a few minutes to send a *thanks but no thanks* email. The *courtesy of a reply* email should be something we all practice. I've always thanked traders who've emailed me with offers even if we don't agree to trade. It's just common courtesy and something we need to remember...good manners.

Heck, when I signed up for Pinpics I simply checked my haves, wants and traders. I never EXPECTED that checking those blocks would guarantee me a fair trade offer. It's simply a means to help us have fun pintrading. Besides, trade value is in the eyes of the beholder and we all have different opinions. Let's not lose the Disney spirit of pintrading! :(

I don't answer requests that are not researched and not carefully considered. For instance, I once got a request that said that a PinPics user wanted to trade me a rack pin of Belle for my Small World E-Ticket. This person obviously went down the list of pins that matched the Small World E-Ticket and checked them all, irregardless of what they were, and sent off the requests. Then they wonder why they get no replies??? This wastes everybody's time. Please, read the list of pins before you start checking off boxes. If I make a request like that (which I am sure I have in the past when I was uneducated about what pins are what, or I am sure that I have checked off the wrong box before), I do not expect a reply. There is no excuse for rudeness, but to me...sending someone a trade request of a rack pin or a very high LE pin for an extremely limited or rare pin IS rude because you are imposing on that person's time with a request that is clearly going to be refused. If it's between me deleting a request, or writing the person and saying "you really should have considered this trade longer before you sent it to me"...I will delete.

I have also received 6 requests in one day for the same extremely uneven (in their favor) trade...not a PinPics problem because I have received other requests only one time each from other users, so it's one person sending them out several times a day...is the person impatient...or...what???

I just have to say, that I sometimes get 6 or 7pinpics requests a day as well. I have also sent out pinpics requests in the past few weeks. I actually would PREFER not to hear back from those who don't want to trade with me. Why clog up my mail box with a bunch of "no thanks" emails. Yes, it is very nice of them to do that, but I honestly don't know who it was sent to and if they just ignore the request if it doesn't sound good it saves both of us time. There is no reason to reply with rude emails though, that is totally uncalled for. As I said, if they don't want to trade with me I'd much rather have them not email me at all. That way I can concentrate on the few requests I do get for trades instead of wading through a ton of emails saying no thanks. Just my opinion, I know that not a lot of people share it, it just seems like a way to save everyone some time and it wouldn't offend me at all if I didn't hear from anyone, just means they don't want to make a trade right now, no reason to take it personally.

Lisa

Very true. A non response is an obvious 'not interested' and should be taken as such. It saves whole lots of bandwidth. Also, the purpose here is to facilitate pin trading, not engage in and/or teach social etiquet. If someone chooses to be 'rude' (by YOUR interpretation), then so be it. It's their problem, not yours.

I hate it when you send a (polite) "no thank you" note back to the requester and, now that they have your name and email addy, they won't leave you alone about a pin.

Or when you send a (polite) "no thank you" and the requester shoots you back an email saying "look at my PinPics trader list to see if there is anything else you'd trade for". Well, duh, if you had anything else I wanted it would have shown up on the original list you checked off!!! Grrrr.

Things like this make me consider removing myself from the Trade Assistant altogether.

~Nancy~

I think that part of the problem is that people might not truly understand how the PinPics Trade Assistant works. (Maybe I don't understand it either, but that's another story! ;) )
If I want to trade for a pin, then I check off what I have available. I don't get to pick & choose what might be an appropriate trade for the pin I want to the unknown-to-me trader. While the Trade Assistant system is pretty darn smart, it does not allow me the option of attaching a note. The note, in some of my offered trades, might say "While this offered trade might not be considered equitable, I would be happy to consider a trade of my multiple pins for your single pin" & I would also put in my PinPics nick.
When I make a trade offer on the Trade Assistant, I never have the intention of insulting another pin collector, though some do seem to take offers the wrong way.
I just might love a particular pin & would like to add it to my collection.

agnes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter