• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

To those who have not returned yet - what will get you back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyguy87

Mouseketeer
This is intended for those who have chosen to not return to WDW since COVID hit. I had a 10-day May 2020 trip that couldn't have been better planned. It was canceled of course due to COVID. We deferred the trip for Holidays 2020 before the world knew how long COVID would be. We opted to cancel the trip indefinitely and get our money back.

For us, it was all the limitations that the virus has brought we rather spend our money when we can have a more complete experience.

There were a few things we were hesitant about before COVID, however. The Epcot entertainment cuts were big for us and the overall experience wasn't as magical as I feel it could be (i.e. Disney Springs ship captains ignoring a hello). But overall WDW offers so much we wanted to visit again and made plans to enhance the experience further.

Now with more cuts like River of Light (my wife's favorite nighttime spectacular), Magical Express and the loss of EMH...we aren't so sure we want to go back anytime soon. We're considering our first Univeral trip Post-COVID in place of our WDW trip, which was going to be a second 2020 trip for us.

For us to go back obvious for us is vaccinations are in full force and the world and the WDW experience is returning to normal operations (i.e. we put our masks away, all shops are open, nighttime shows return, etc) The other big thing would be the return of an After Hours event. I was willing to pay for one last trip so with EMH out of the equation that is an important must for us.

So for those who haven't come back what will it take for you?

1.) Vaccines for both of us
2.) Widespread (>50%) vaccines across the general population
3.) A return to at least 80-90% "normal" WDW experience (fireworks, entertainment, fastpass, full park hours, table service dining, etc.)
4.) Either suspension of park reservations or some method of making it way less annoying than it is now.

I don't mind masks in temperate weather, but I wouldn't choose to go from May-Oct with a mask mandate still in place.

So, I think we're probably looking at at least another year before we take another traditional WDW vacation.

Edited to add: We're within driving distance and wound up spending a non-park weekend to burn some DVC points and it totally confirmed my suspicions that visiting is NOT worth it right now. You can't resort hop and we're only comfortable eating outdoors at table service restaurants so there's not much to do. After you've explored your resort and walked around Disney Springs, you're pretty much done with what you can enjoy on WDW property. I had a prettier view than I had at home, but I got a lot of reading done.

Last edited:
The vaccine!! I get my 2nd dose tomorrow and my husband gets his in February and we are planning an April trip!!! So excited!! It’s actually going to be adult only trip with a day at Universal (my first time at WWoHP)
I’m also planning to go with friends in July.

However I may wait until things are more “normal” before I bring my son back. He wears masks at school so would probably be ok with masks. (Never thought I’d say that a year ago)
But may be disappointed about lack of characters, parade, F!, extras like the Pirate Adventure Cruise from Beach Club (something he was most excited about for our cancelled trip last April) and Typhoon Lagoon (maybe his favorite part of Disney World). And fastpass!!! As adults we can wait 30-60 min for a ride if we have to but no way my son can...

We are DVC members who planned a big seven-night stay in a GV at Boardwalk for March, '20, then postponed to October '20, again postponed to March '21, and now to the end of April '21. My husband and I are hoping to be vaccinated before this trip. Unfortunately, most of our family can't join us because of quarantining issues with their jobs. We will likely go the two of us...and while we know we won't get the whole Disney experience, we are fine with that as we typically visit 1-2 times a year. Fingers crossed!

Once my family is vaccinated we'll feel more comfortable going.

But beyond that we'll probably be holding off until my state is not quite a strict about tests/quarantine since my sister is a teacher and cannot just go on vacation and then take several days off from work.

Also wearing masks has been proven to be a challenge for me. I could probably do okay all day long in my neck gaiter which has ear loops and has passed the candle test but Disney will not allow it.
When I wear multi layer masks or the fabric is not absolutely perfect I cannot speak, cannot breath as freely, cannot see because even with nose wire it fogs my glasses, and it gets caught on my peach fuzz making it very painful on my face.
So I'm hoping that by the time we go masks are optional or I find the perfect mask.

Those are the only things that are stopping us right now.
We don't have a problem with the current offerings or lack there of because we'd still have a great time without them.

3.) A return to at least 80-90% "normal" WDW experience (fireworks, entertainment, fastpass, full park hours, table service dining, etc.)
4.) Either suspension of park reservations or some method of making it way less annoying than it is now.

I don't mind masks in temperate weather, but I wouldn't choose to go from May-Oct with a mask mandate still in place.

So, I think we're probably looking at at least another year before we take another traditional WDW vacation.

This is the same for me. I have a trip booked for the last week in October. I'm hopeful most of these criteria will be met by then. Not as concerned about the park reservation system because I think capacity will not be limiting in any way.

I had a trip planned for next month with DS for his 21st birthday. We both decided to cancel due to the limited experiences and having to wear masks.

I need the mask mandate gone first and foremost and no temp checks. No park reservation either. I’m not going to WDW to wear masks in all of my pictures.

I need fireworks, fast passes, full park hopping, later hours, more resorts and restaurants open, meet and greets and more rides and shows open.

Disney is way too expensive to go for half the experience. We have other trips planned in the meantime.

Thats's a good list. I am hopping some of that is achieved by the Fall.

1) Being able to decide what park I want to visit on a spur of the moment. In other words, park hoppers with total flexibility.
2) Longer hours (primarily at night)
3) Fastpass+
4) Shows
5) No masks
6) Disney to make an earnest commitment to STOP upcharging every little thing
7) Disney to STOP taking away perks for staying on site.

The most important thing for me is the travel restrictions. I’m not testing or quarantining when I get back so until that ends I’m out.

I’d prefer not to wear a mask but if the mask requirements turn out to be a long term thing that wouldn’t be a dealbreaker.

I’d also want to hear that lines were manageable. I’m not totally against lines but would need to make sure I’m getting my money’s worth.

Last edited:
1) Being able to decide what park I want to visit on a spur of the moment. In other words, park hoppers with total flexibility.
2) Longer hours (primarily at night)
3) Fastpass+
4) Shows
5) No masks
6) Disney to make an earnest commitment to STOP upcharging every little thing
7) Disney to STOP taking away perks for staying on site.
Another good list. 1-5 will happen someday, but 6 and 7...that ship has sailed.

The two things that will get us back are:

(1) Vaccines for both of us.
(2) The ability to buy annual passes.

I have a reservation for my birthday in late April that I will probably cancel because neither one is likely to happen by then. I'm a DVC member who, until last year, visited at least twice a year.

1. We can get the vaccine.
2. Masks not needed outdoors*
3. When sufficient experiences (meet and greets, character meals, etc.) are restored so that it is worth the money we spend.

*Regarding the masks--we are not opposed to masks. Dh, the kids, and I all wear them even when not required at this time when we are indoors. (We do not wear them outdoors if we are sufficiently spaced from others.)
I have a respiratory condition, and I'm afraid wearing a mask would be difficult for me if I had to wear it outside in the heat (and the hot months are when it works best for us to go). I'm not opposed to WDW's mask requirements, but they put a strain on me so it is best for my family to wait until things are better.

I will also add that we are seriously considering an off-site stay for our next trip (thinking June 2022). We were willing to spend more to be in the bubble and have those perks. Since they have removed the perks, we would rather just save the money and stay off-site.

In my case - I am going in a month because I hit the point of needing some normalcy and WDW is doing better than my local grocery stores at mask and distancing compliance. I was going to wait until no masks but the reality is they are now talking about another year or two and that the vaccine may not work against the new strain (may just be hype but I never thought we'd still be here a year later either). So for my mental health - now is the time. I've tried staying more local with our national parks nearby but to be honest the areas around those have been very little mask compliance and the restaurants at full capacity with no mask enforcement so I spent most of the time either on remote trails or in my hotel room. So watching the videos has made me feel like WDW is worth trying.

I don't anticipate going back until end of 2022 or early 2023. I'm hoping by then live shows and fireworks will be back along with all restaurants open and back to full menus. I'm also hoping that masks will be gone by then although if not I'll wear one. I want to wait until all the Epcot construction is done with, Guardians is open, Tron is open and the railroad is back. Although I do have to say that although I normally stay on site for the last 25 years, I stayed off site for one trip in October 2019 and I'll probably continue to stay offsite due to all the changes unless Disney implements some new changes that compels me to stay on site. To me there's no huge benefit to staying on site currently, other than staying in the Disney bubble. And I've done that so many times, my priority moving forward is maximizing my vacation dollars spent. So I'll probably stay off site, shorten my next Disney trip and possibly do a split Disney/Universal stay.

Two weeks after my second dose, I'm there. I have an AP expiring beginning of June (thank you extensions!). I'm fine with no nighttime fireworks. I always felt guilty about skipping them even though I have seen them a million times. I also am an adult solo traveler most times so I don't need character M&Gs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter