To Visit Animal Kingdom or not? That is the question

scrappinginontario

My DD and I are going to WDW in September and I'm really torn about whether we should go to AK or not. We have visited during the day many times so don't need to do the normal daytime stuff. The night I've scheduled us to go the sun is supposed to set around 7:15 and the park closes at 7:30. I was hoping to take in the new nighttime offerings but now I'm just not sure due to the very narrow window from sunset to park closing.

The challenge is that as of right now:
- RoL is not scheduled
- JB I've heard is not worth seeing, especially since we haven't seen the movie. Plus it hasn't been scheduled after Sept 5 and we're going mid-Sept.
- I'm not sure how much (if any) of the Tree of Life shows will be shown with the narrow window between sunset and park closing
- I'd like to see Kilimanjaro Safaris at dusk but is it really worth going to AK just for that?

I'm tossing around the idea of skipping AK again this year and going to MK as it will be the only time it's open past 7pm any of the nights we're free to go. Any thoughts from those who have visited AK at night, considering the shorter park hours after sunset?

Thanks!!

If you're not a big fan of AK, then skip it. Remember, they may extend the hours before you go. The safari at late afternoon/dusk is neat, the animals were really active each time we did it. One other plus is that AK is very sparsely populated the last couple hours it is open, so you can get on pretty much anything with little to no wait.

Thanks @Klayfish ! I think we're in a 'wait and see mode.' I went ahead and added a dining option earlier in the week if we decide to skip AK as we currently have Tusker House booked for supper.

Seems like a lot more unknowns this year.

We really like AK at night. I think the safari as dusk was fantastic, lots of active animals. We enjoyed the Tree of Life lightening ceremony, I thought it was beautiful. We did not see the JB either, did not seem like it was worth it. The crowds were fantastic and little to no wait for our favorite rides.

I enjoyed the street singers and entertainers at night, AK is so much cooler at night and we really enjoy the night time atmosphere at AK.

You're right that it sounds wonderful @heidijanesmith ! My challenge is that our total park time after sunset is currently only going to be 15 mins. :( Still hoping they extend park hours but not holding my breath.

How long after sunset did they begin the Tree of Life lightening ceremony, do you know?

You're right that it sounds wonderful @heidijanesmith ! My challenge is that our total park time after sunset is currently only going to be 15 mins. :( Still hoping they extend park hours but not holding my breath.

How long after sunset did they begin the Tree of Life lightening ceremony, do you know?

Oh goodness, our park closing was at 11PM, so we had plenty of night time. I understand your dilemma, 15min is not long at all.

The Tree of Life ceremony was at 9PM when the park closed at 11PM.

I hope they extend the hours for your stay.

Yeah, it just sounds like you don't like it....so skip it. No reason to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

AK is my second favorite park, behind MK. Hopefully they will extend the hours in the first week of November when I go.

We love AK and are excited to experience it at night. For us it will be open until 11pm. If I were you I'd wait and see if it is open later (9 or so) if it is I would try to take in a few of the new nighttime activities.

I think AK is awesome. I take it over Epcot and HS. Subjective, Don't take our advice.

Last edited:
In your case, I agree with the odd timing of park closure. In the past, I think mid-Sept would see 5 and 6pm closures, so it is open later, but it's pretty weird to be open later (presumably due to new night offerings) but only open later in hours that are still daylight.

although I love AK and am looking forward to experiencing nighttime there (I'm most looking forward to street entertainment, EE at night and Tree of Light. . . ROL someday) since you say it's also the only night that MK is open past 7 for you, I would plan on MK and only possibly switch back to AK if the hours get extended further.

AK is my second favorite park, behind MK. Hopefully they will extend the hours in the first week of November when I go.

Me too, I have noticed November hours for my date have slightly moved from 5pm closure to 6pm, so hopefully they will keep creeping up!

I'm in this same boat - early October has its closing at 7:30. Really tempted to just skip it because my kids were just interested in the boneyard and the new nighttime stuff.

Yeah, it just sounds like you don't like it....so skip it. No reason to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

I tend to agree. If I was ambivalent about this park and that was the evening that MK was open at night, I would choose MK.
I have DAK in my December schedule, but to be honest, if the hours stay where they are, I am likely to skip it this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter