Today at the MK: Broken, Broken, Broken, and Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, even on their worst/busiest/most crowded days, the Disney World parks are still much better maintained, operated, and quicker/easier to get rides in than going somewhere like King's Island. You want long lines, try a regional amusement park...
Anddddd that is why I don't go to other amusement parks. Went to Six Flags on a school trip- never again.

True, but regional amusement parks (generally) don’t end up costing nearly as much once you factor in Disney Resorts, dining plans, etc. Granted these are optional, but a lot of people splurge on them because they want their Disney trip to be special.

I’m here now with my five year old, and while we’re having a pretty good time, I can’t justify what this trip is costing. The hotel room costs at least 3x a comparable room anywhere else (and we travel a lot). The food has been pretty awful unless you like food service hamburgers.

And the ride shutdowns are crazy, especially today. We waited in line for splash mountain this afternoon because it was the only thing my daughter wanted to do. Got in line at 1:10 with a posted 95 minutes wait, and actually got on the ride at 3:25. People around us were REALLY upset that an already crazy 95 minute posted wait was actually 135.

We’re probably going back to Beaches at Turks and Caicos after this. It’s similarly pricey, but at least you feel pampered for that amount of money.

Honestly, even on their worst/busiest/most crowded days, the Disney World parks are still much better maintained, operated, and quicker/easier to get rides in than going somewhere like King's Island. You want long lines, try a regional amusement park...

I don't doubt it, but parks like that are much cheaper than a place like Disney. If you want to talk about amusement parks, we pay $50 for season passes to our local Six Flags park (La Ronde, in Montreal, Canada). Everyone and his nephew seems to buy these passes, and the park is often crowded. But, for what we pay, and the fact that we can go anytime, it's still a bargain and a half. With Disney, you now have to work hard to get your money's worth.

Actually, don't worry too much!! Sometimes when I read these type threads, then go to Disney, I wonder if we're talking about the same place! Maybe our good luck, but we've only had one breakdown while in line in the many years we have been going - Frozen. Have seen a few others at various times that were closed when we went by.

We never go at super busy times, or any holidays, which may make a difference - don't know. The same with transportation - no issues here. Service while dining - no problems. Maybe we have pixiedust: following us around. :)

Our only breakdown was at Disneyland on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in the HELL portion, lol. I am still laughing about it almost a year later! Same for us with the rest of your statement- maybe we've just gotten lucky, too.

I genuinely feel bad for people who go to Disney and it doesn't live up to their expectations.

Marketing is social media plus tv advertising plus PR plus plus plus. The message needs legs on multiple mediums to reach all walks of life. But that’s enough marketing talk.

To each their own. My parents have taken me since I was a baby and now I take my own small children. We continue to have enjoyable and wonderful trips. I have never felt like we got very little for our hard earned money. Our last 2 trips were my DD’s first and my DS first and they were both a ton of fun (minus Irma cutting DS trip short!) Lifelong memories.

Over the years we have always alternated between slower times and busy times, whenever our family of 10-12 can go. Crowds don’t bother us and we have memorable week with our family every time, on the most crowded day of the year or not. We have never gone on the hunt for a slow time. It’s whenever we can all go.

Crowds and lines do not make or break our trips. We’re not squeezing as much as possible into every moment. We do what we can and have always approached the parks this way. Not everyone has a terrible trip.

That's great for you, but others are saying that they were disappointed. Their feelings are legitimate, you can't just dismiss them so easily.

Speaking of marketing, Disney is not just another vacation destination. People have an emotional connection to the Disney parks, and the marketing certainly plays on that; it evokes the magic, making special memories, unforgettable moments with your family, etc. They know they won't always live up to that when the park is shoulder-to-shoulder jammed.

We were there this morning. We intended to rope drop 7 Dwarfs, but about 8.50 the cast member came out and said it would be delayed opening (it was about 1.5 hours before it opened). We moved to Tomorrowland entrance, and the cast member came out and said Space Mountain wouldn't be opening (still closed when we left just after 12.30). Splash was also closed from opening for about 2.5 hours. As a result, everywhere else was crazy from very early. We had a wait for a 9.45 Dumbo FP because they only had one side running, and I struggled to try and move forward our other FPs as planned. At 11.20, we waited 20 min for Buzz FPs. We went on Tomorrowland People Mover, and they had an issue which stopped it just before we boarded (though they got it back in about 15 min, and we did get to see Space with the lights on). We tried to go on the railroad but that was closed. In the end we abandoned the park at 12.30ish.

And those are the reports that worry me and make me second guess. We're spending thousands of dollars, and will only have ONE day at MK. There's no chance to go again another day if stuff like this happens. On one hand, I'm very content to see what we see. On the other hand, when we're spending that much money, and to have our favorites down, and have it so crowded that we have to wait 20-30 minutes for rides WITH a fast pass... That will result in a short day, a cranky child, and a LOT of money wasted. Some days, I'm honestly not sure it's worth the risk.

Last edited:

Granted, I can't compare to say Six Flags, but for the other parks we go to (smaller, regional ones), they are every bit as clean and well maintained as Disney, possibly better (not once in our 5 trips there have we ever encountered a break down on any ride (granted, they don't see the volume Disney does, either), one in particular is beautifully landscaped and they offer FAR quicker/easier to get rides done. Most rides are walk on, 5 minute wait. The longest we ever waited was 20 minutes and that was for their version of Kali, on a hot summer afternoon. We get soooo much more done there than at Disney, and it is so much more relaxing. And you can get a season pass, for less than the cost of 1 day at Disney ($60-70 for the season, free parking included). What they are lacking however is the entertainment - the shows, parades, fireworks, character M&G etc... which to me are the "magic" part of Disney. But lately I find myself wondering, is the "magic" really worth the cost, the hassle etc?

Last edited:
Disney answers to Wall Street which means it shaves expenses from any area it can. Rides, buses, buildings and Monorails all show it. Heck even the landscaping doesn't look as good anymore.

Hopefully with that new big tax break they invest that money back into the Parks LOL!

We were there Friday (2/16J - MK was totally packed like during Christmas, it was very difficult to even walk.
Splash mountain was down for 2 hours.... our FP was a 60 minute wait, walk up was 130 wait.
BTM was down for 2 hours but we used our FP right as it came up and got right on.
Space mountain FP was 55 minute wait as they were down during the day also.

We stayed past Happily Ever After to see if things loosened up bot waited 45 minutes for Haunted Mansion and Pirates .... called it a night.
Is it this crowded from people rescheduling from hurricane Irma?

Can someone comment on the pathways at WDW when it's what most would consider crowded?

As stated, I am used to Disneyland and the pathways at WDW at least LOOK a lot wider.
I grew up going to DL, but had only been to WDW (several trips) from 2005 to 2016. When we went back to DLR in 2016, both DH and I were relatively shocked at how narrow the pathways are compared to WDW. Granted it was spring break season, but we consistently found it more difficult to find places to sit at CS restaurants, the walkways more crowded, and we experienced more ride breakdowns, at DLR than we ever have at WDW.

The OP has returned to clarify her MK day and because this thread has moved on to discussion of ticket prices for other “amusement parks” and walkways at DLand, closing.

We are still having a great time. Splash came up for the first time today about 11:30 and we got in a long fastpasses line, but it went by quickly. Spoke with a family from California who were first time visitors. They were unimpressed and said they had gone to guest services because so many rides were down. I talked up the great things about Disney and they said it was nice to talk with someone so enthusiastic. They ended up loving Splash and saying they were feeling much better after that ride. I hate for first timers to have a bad experience. As much as I wish for low crowds, I want people to love it.

We are headed back to Beach Club for a fun pool afternoon and a nap, then back to Mk for dinner at BOG and fireworks and EMH.

It’s really hard to kill my Disney fun- even with break downs and crowds and closures. We make the best of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter