Today, I woke up....in a paid off house.

Something like this I have kept quiet. My mom knows and maybe a few others. IMO when you have others struggling bragging by throwing a party about this can be insensitive.
Man that's a bit jaded of an opinion. I hope to heck that people didn't think we were bragging when we had a new home party It was the first house we have owned and we were just so excited to have a place that was just ours, not an apartment,not a rental house, just simply ours. That would be so disappointing if someone just took it as a brag.

Congrats. A paid off house will bring many years of smiles.

Been 18 years since we paid ours off, and 12 years since we paid off our newest car. So we have only had the recurring monthly bills since then. Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I have no idea how we juggled a house payment, car payment, and private school tuition for two kids. That money sure doesn't seem to be in our pay check anymore.

It wouldn't occur to me to share that information with anyone either. In fact, I've never been privy to anyone's mortgage or lack thereof.

Some people have mortgage burning parties. I think it is something to celebrate.

Never been much of a secret in my circles. And if you really care, if you have a mortgages, and the amount of it are public record and easily accessible.

Congratulations to the OP.

About six months after paying off my mortgage I realized I missed the payments so much that I bought a second house. :tongue:

It's currently being rented out during the summer but I intend to move there permanently in a few years when I retire.

It wouldn't occur to me to share that information with anyone either. In fact, I've never been privy to anyone's mortgage or lack thereof.
There's a big difference in conversing about one's financials and celebrating the day when one truly owns their own home by means of paying off a mortgage.

I don't know the amount of my own mother's mortgage nor do we discuss it or about our own..pretty sure I'd still be down to celebrate with her the day she pays it off and she'd be down to celebrate with me the day we pay ours off.

Some people have mortgage burning parties. I think it is something to celebrate.

Never been much of a secret in my circles. And if you really care, if you have a mortgages, and the amount of it are public record and easily accessible.
I can't imagine anybody seeking out that information about their friends just out of curiosity - the idea is downright creepy. :scared:

I can't imagine anybody seeking out that information about their friends just out of curiosity - the idea is downright creepy. :scared:
DD is in the middle of shopping for a house, and that kind of information has been provided by the Realtors she has talked to about neighboring houses around the houses she is looking at.

DD is in the middle of shopping for a house, and that kind of information has been provided by the Realtors she has talked to about neighboring houses around the houses she is looking at.
OK, but that scenario is a far-cry from people just checking up on each other for no reason at all.

Congrat's!
giphy.gif

I remembering writing "Good-Bye" on my last car payment years ago so I can only imagine the feeling for paying off a house!

Man that's a bit jaded of an opinion. I hope to heck that people didn't think we were bragging when we had a new home party It was the first house we have owned and we were just so excited to have a place that was just ours, not an apartment,not a rental house, just simply ours. That would be so disappointing if someone just took it as a brag.
I wouldn’t think of it as bragging, not at all. Just that you want to share your excitement with some family and friends.

I have never paid off a mortgage, but I did buy a condo for cash in 2010. I have bought two homes since then both with mortgages, but I know that I have one paid for home. One of my homes only has a mortgage that is less than 1/3 of its value and at 3%.

I think it is something to celebrate too but in our situation, we think it’s something we better keep to ourselves. To keep the story short and sweet, we have a relative who makes HORRIBLE financial decisions who would likely be looking for a continuous handout if it was known we might have “ extra” money. So, we’ve had a busy weekend but I think we’ll celebrate just the two of us.
I had NO IDEA mortgages were public record. Is that true in every state?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter