Toddler Meltdowns

Other parents will understand what you are going through. That said, being kind to others is also a good idea. Our plan of action when we travelled with a kiddo who still wasnt' sleeping through the night was that we took her for walks up on the outside decks, where the wind and the sound of the waves and the cool air were generally very soothing and put her back to sleep without being a problem for anyone else.

When my son was 18 months old he had a meltdown on the first evening. The first day is very difficult for little ones because we had an early start, stateroom wasn't available for regular nap time, and then we had to attend to drill, after which I was finally able to put him down for a nap. We had early seating for dinner so I tried to put him in the stroller so he could sleep at dinner and he woke up screaming. I think another family called in a complaint because an officer came by. By the time the officer came he was back asleep in bed. It is what it is, I did my best but the screams were really loud, very unusual for him. He had no other meltdowns for the rest of the vacation. I stuck to his normal schedule and he was a happy guy.

Being that it's Disney, and there will be a TON of other parents on the ship, I'm pretty sure if others see a "meltdown", they will be feeling sympathy for you more than anything else. Don't stress, its vacation!!

I second this. Plus, the crew on DCL is generally wonderful with kids. For me, it was like having extra help keeping my son happy and entertained.

I hope your son is feeling better.

I am sorry your poor son is unwell. We aren't blessed with children but have taken many cruises. We have never heard noise from another cabin. The engine produces a nice background hum for you!

People will understand. If they don't ignore them. How unkind to you and your family. All I would think if I heard a child in destress in another room is oh my I wonder what spooked the poor little guy.

Have a great cruise. The crew and guests are lovely. I accidently bumped into many people as I am disabled with limited vision. I apologised to everybody and they were all nice to me, more worried about me even though it was clearly my poor navigation on a moving ship!

We just took a 2-yo on a cruise. He typically sleeps through the night, but on the cruise he did not. He still nurses sometimes, so that was my go-to for calming him when he woke. He had a few meltdowns during the day, though. I just took him to the room to let him work it out.

One thing I did learn was that little kids--especially babies and toddlers--can get queasy if they have empty stomachs. I think that's why my 6 month old woke so often at night, too. Our cruise was pretty rocky! And one morning my 2yo woke up vomiting. The ship doctor asked if he'd eaten dinner the night before. Sure enough, he'd been too busy to eat much (which is normal for him). So, make sure your little one eats enough! And have fun!

My children have always had their own version of when "morning" should start, so we packed a "go bag" the night before with diapers, wipes and a change of clothes and a favorite toy or crayons. Then when they woke up at 4 am wide awake, one adult could grab the bag and leave the room before the child woke up the rest of the room. I'd think that would work for meltdowns too if you're worried about noise. In addition to the other suggestions for where to go, the clubs/lounges were empty in the wee morning hours and sunrise is pretty cool from the outlook.

We had an epic meltdown our first cruise. Long day, new place, whew! It wasn't fun. That said, keeping them fed is easy onboard. We insisted on an afternoon rest (they always fell asleep even though they didn't nap at home). Now we just go with it, but they are almost 9 and 10.

When my son was 18 months old he had a meltdown on the first evening. The first day is very difficult for little ones because we had an early start, stateroom wasn't available for regular nap time, and then we had to attend to drill, after which I was finally able to put him down for a nap. We had early seating for dinner so I tried to put him in the stroller so he could sleep at dinner and he woke up screaming. I think another family called in a complaint because an officer came by. By the time the officer came he was back asleep in bed. It is what it is, I did my best but the screams were really loud, very unusual for him. He had no other meltdowns for the rest of the vacation. I stuck to his normal schedule and he was a happy guy.

I can't believe someone called in a complaint unless they though you were beating him or something.

So we haven't cruised in a while but on the Panama repo cruise my daughter was 3. One night her Binkie and dumbo were missing. She screamed all night "I want my dumbo I want my binkie"....I am sure our neighbors hated us. We got up the next morning and in our fish extender was her dumbo and binkie with a note from the kids club. Omg it was horrible. Another cruise on castaway cay it was the end of the day and my 5 year old had a melt down on a wagon in the way back to the ship....many dis'Ers passed up afraid to look. I was mortified. There was one newly engaged couple I am sure they will never have kids due to the drama they witnessed.

We have had bad experiences with a neighboring cabin. First afternoon after the drill our son had a melt down of epic proportions. About 10 minutes after we had calmed him down we had an officer at the door. It was horrible as it freaked out our son and set him off again. The officer was good about it just said he was checking to be sure everything was okay. That night our son woke up from a nightmare about 10:30 at night so not in the middle of the night really and he wasn't screaming just normal crying it took us about 20 minutes to assure him he was okay and get him back to sleep. Sure enough right as we got him to sleep knock on the door officer again saying they had a noise complaint the knocking and opening the door woke him up thankfully no screams but he did cry officer apologized and said goodnight. Of course because of the lack of sleep and craziness next day at nap time son was whinny and crying again we got a visit after that the CM that came to the door said they just wanted to be sure everything was fine and they could see what was causing the tears so they didn't come back the rest of the trip. I doubt the neighbors stopped complaining though and it made it awkward when we saw them in the hall. We knew how it was because my husband said sorry to both neighbors as he saw them that night going into their rooms and one said oh wow we never heard anything the other ignored him and just walked into their room. Now it was kind of weird knowing they were pissed but the CMs never made us feel bad about it and were very kind. But sometimes people,have unreasonable expectations of how quiet kids/families will be.

We have had bad experiences with a neighboring cabin. First afternoon after the drill our son had a melt down of epic proportions. About 10 minutes after we had calmed him down we had an officer at the door. It was horrible as it freaked out our son and set him off again. The officer was good about it just said he was checking to be sure everything was okay. That night our son woke up from a nightmare about 10:30 at night so not in the middle of the night really and he wasn't screaming just normal crying it took us about 20 minutes to assure him he was okay and get him back to sleep. Sure enough right as we got him to sleep knock on the door officer again saying they had a noise complaint the knocking and opening the door woke him up thankfully no screams but he did cry officer apologized and said goodnight. Of course because of the lack of sleep and craziness next day at nap time son was whinny and crying again we got a visit after that the CM that came to the door said they just wanted to be sure everything was fine and they could see what was causing the tears so they didn't come back the rest of the trip. I doubt the neighbors stopped complaining though and it made it awkward when we saw them in the hall. We knew how it was because my husband said sorry to both neighbors as he saw them that night going into their rooms and one said oh wow we never heard anything the other ignored him and just walked into their room. Now it was kind of weird knowing they were pissed but the CMs never made us feel bad about it and were very kind. But sometimes people,have unreasonable expectations of how quiet kids/families will be.

Wow, that is terrible. I have a son who is 13 and has some medical challenges. He loves cruising and is usually okay, but there are times when his meltdowns are worse than any 3 year old. On one occasion, I had to get our room steward to help me as he became aggressive with me. I would hate it if neighbors called and reported us. I am sorry that happened to you.

I will say that I have much sympathy for parents as long as they are trying to control the situation. If in a theater or restaurant and the parents are ignoring it, that drives me crazy!

It is unfortunate when people make a call when a child is just having a meltdown. But unfortunately there are times when people abuse their children. I would rather a person call in error than say I heard something but didn't want to call.

It is unfortunate when people make a call when a child is just having a meltdown. But unfortunately there are times when people abuse their children. I would rather a person call in error than say I heard something but didn't want to call.

there has to be a balance. Sure if I hear a thud or smack and then a kid screaming bloody murder I'll call. Just a kid crying on a family ship opening my own business and put in my ear plugs.

I can't believe someone called in a complaint unless they though you were beating him or something.
Some people that have kids with a meltdown don't consider neighbors either. Maybe they were trying to nap. A crying child could also ruin the mood for a verandah club outing. A few minute meltdown is fine. If it's longer than 15 though. Maybe they need to figure something else out.

Some people that have kids with a meltdown don't consider neighbors either. Maybe they were trying to nap. A crying child could also ruin the mood for a verandah club outing. A few minute meltdown is fine. If it's longer than 15 though. Maybe they need to figure something else out.

I still wouldn't call the ship on them. If you want 0 crying children then cruise on many of the true adults only cruises. This comes from someone with no children who loves afternoon naps. When a child is having a meltdown (be it normal toddler melt down or from a disability or other issues) it isn't just as easy as shutting the kid up. If they aren't allowed out on deck where people are relaxing, in the theater, in the dinning rooms then their only option is their room. So yeah it sucks but having some compassion for the family dealing with a child having a 15 minute break down would go along way.

Last edited:
I still wouldn't call the ship on them. If you want 0 crying children then cruise on many of the true adults only cruisss. This comes from someone with no children who loves afternoon naps. When a child is having a meltdown (be it normal toddler melt down or from a disability or other issues) it isn't just as easy as shutting the kid up. If they aren't allowed out on deck where people are relaxing, in the theater, in the dinning rooms then their only option is their room. So yeah it sucks but having some compassion for the family dealing with a child having a 15 minute break down would go along way.
I'm glad you agree with me. See my above 15 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter