• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toddler nap time

KelSal

Earning My Ears
This is our first time cruising with two year old and we got a verandah room so we could enjoy it during naptime. My child is a bit of a light sleeper. Has anyone had any issues "sneaking" onto the verandah while baby sleeps in pack n play? Do the privacy curtains only seperate queen bed from couch area (horizontally in the room)? Would love if there was a way to have a privacy curtain run vertically so there was a small path to walk by baby and get onto verandah without disturbing. Has anybody found any creative solutions to this?

We cruised with our 2 year old DS who napped and needed his nap. We too had a verandah room. He took his naps on the queen bed so that we could pull the curtain and block out light and noise. We also use a sound machine - it goes where we go, lol. It helps block out sound which is key when we go away and have to share rooms. My son napped every day of our 7-night cruise. And went to bed at his regular time every night. It helped keep him from becoming overtired and having meltdowns. He had no issues and we all had a great time.

We did one of the two week Panama Canal cruises with a 2-1/2yo in a veranda cabin. Worked great for us and never needed a Pack-N-Play.

For various reasons, we had to pull Jr. out of the crib at an early age and let him sleep on a mattress on the floor. Since he was already used to sleeping on a bed, we had no issues letting him nap on our bed with the heavy curtains drawn while we enjoyed the other half of the cabin, including the veranda. It also meant we didn't have any issues with him sleeping on the sofa bed. I think, just to be sure, we usually placed the cushions on the floor beside the bed just in case he rolled out in the middle of the night.

When our son was that age we put him in the queen bed to nap. He would not sleep in the pack in play comfortable (honestly he was just too big). We’d lay down with him and once asleep move over to the sitting room side or go out on the veranda. The cabin and veranda doors are really heavy so we never worried he’d try to escape.

We also put our 18 month old on the bed to nap, that way I could watch tv on the couch or go on the verandah with waking him. I can't remember if we did it then but you can put the pillows under the sheets to create a bumper to prevent rolling out of bed. It's worked well for us at hotels that did not have pack-n-plays

Plus our room steward put up the pack-n-play every morning so it wasn't even out for nap time.

WBI

DSCN4923.JPG We just took our 2 year old granddaughter on the Magic 2 weeks ago for a 7 day cruise....also had a verandah.

She will not sleep in pack n play (too big) so we asked for bed rails. Our room host would set up her bed (sofa bed) every night and she would come in and say "my bed, my bed" and play on it. She actually only slept in her bed 2 nights out of the 7 seven. The other nights she slept in the big bed with us or I would go sleep on the sofa bed after removing the bed rails.

For naps we were able to put her down on the big bed with us and when she fell asleep we would use the other side of the cabin and verandah. We would pull the drapes and the curtain between the bed and sofa so it was really dark in the cabin. She took a 1.5 to 2 hour nap every day. If not she would have been a beast and not a beauty!

MJ

Last edited:
When our DD was taking naps, we were always sure to book cabins that were not on the floor directly beneath the pool deck as it can get very noisy during nap time.

We had no problems using the veranda when our girls were napping ages. We also would book nursery time for naps, so we could enjoy the adult areas in the afternoons. The nursery has a quiet, dark room for naps, and it worked out great for us when our youngest was 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter