• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toddlers at Mickey Pool?

wendyk

Disney Lover
I know the new rules regarding non-potty trained toddlers at the pool. Does anyone know if DCL has any other options when bringing toddlers to the pool area? Is there a sprinkler there? I will be taking my dd8 to the pool. What will my ds 19 months do?
Any suggestions?

Wendy

We were on the 12-14 Eastern and saw LOTS of toddlers in the Mickey Pool and no one was saying anything! Others have posted that it is strictly enforced but that was just our experience!

What if I brought one of those mini blow-up pools and a bucket to fill it? Do you think they will allow that?

I don't think they would allow a mini-blow up pool, because there really isn't that much room near the pool. I brought a couple of buckets, small cups and shovels for my DS and he loved it. They would only allow him to play on the rubber area which around the pool, not on the wooden deck. That's why I say the blow up pool probably wouldn't work.

but on our cruise there were ALOT of kids under 2 in the goofy and mickey pool and NO ONE said anything to them. I took some video of it to post but then just before I got ready to post it my house got robbed and the jerks took my video camera complete with my tape of the trip inside it (totally irreplaceable!)

You might just luck out and be fine. I dont think you could take a blow up pool for him but maybe a bucket and some paint brushes just in case??

Heidi

Wendy, you just gave me an idea. I dont know if they would allow this either, but how about one of those blow up boats that kids use in pools?. We got some last year that were pretty small. I believe they were canoes. They werent much bigger than the kids, themselves... definitely small enough to fit on a lounge chair. I wonder if you could put a little water in something like that and have him play in there.
Good luck. I know if we had sailed a few months ago we would have had major problems if our youngest son(aka, the fish) couldnt swim inthe pool.

We are still on the 1/4 Magic, and in all the times I've passed the Mickey pool, I've seen kids that are either amazing little geniuses or else they are not potty trained, judging by their ages. I haven't seen any enforcement, although I don't spend a lot of time around the Mickey pool...these observations are made while waiting for food or a drink at the drink station. Enforcement of any kind has been the only negative on an otherwise incredible cruise...kids in adult areas, smokers in non-smoking areas, etc. It almost seems like the rule might be making things worse because none of the really little kids that we saw had diapers or swim diapers (probably makes them easier to pass off as potty trained, but definitely increases the odds of a protein spill).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I was trying to find info on this in the cruise line brochure. Is it in there? Is it in the docs? I'm just wondering how parents are supposed to know ahead of time about this rule. Of course there are signs posted, and the people who read discussion boards know, but I couldn't find the info anywhere in the promotional materials.

It was in our cruise documents, somewhere in the fine print towards the back!

That doesn't help, does it? You don't get your cruise docs until after the time you can cancel! Well, I know about it, and my friends know about it, so there's no point in worrying :)

My Dad gave me the idea to buy a small 18" or 24" blow-up pool!! I thought that was a terrific idea to solve the problem before we sail. I just can't see our (by then) 18 mos DD being around the water and not being able to get in!!

So, you don't think it could use this around Mickey's Ears?? It's been a couple of years since our last cruise, but I thought there was a rubbery deck before the Ear's. Fill it with 2 or 3" water, she would be happy. Well, I would love to hear if anyone tries it & it works!!

Happy Sailing!!
E

When we went, no-one enforced it but people knew about it and made comments tabout kids not potty trained. With the virus going around, I don't think they should be in the pools and now understand why there were the comments being made. It doesn't make it easy but better than sick kids.

Two points out the blow up pools. Not to flame, just to raise a couple of points to think about....

After they're used on deck, where would one dump out the water? I'm thinking a CM would probably stop someone trying to pour it back into the pool area, since that would defeat the purpose of keeping non-potty trained kids out of the pool. Is there somewhere else around there it could be dumped out?

And secondly - if you go with this idea, and the CMs are enforcing the rule that day for some reason, you may end up being approached by several parents asking if their little angel can play in your pool with your child too. Again - then that puts your child in the pool with another non-potty trained child... uck (if there's an accident).

Julie

The first thing that came to my mind was that there is no way they can feasibly allow this. Can you imaging trying to traverse the pool deck with umpteen little blow up pools lying about? If they let you do it, than obviously everyone else can too.

I'm not trying to be rude either. I'll be having the same problem in about 15 months if my 1 yo doesn't potty train a lot earlier than his older brother!

Just a thought... could you bring a small plastic dishpan? This is what we used to bring to the beach for our kids when they were tiny. We would fill it with water and give them some cups or something and they would have a ball. Plus you could pack it easily by using it to hold underwear, socks, or whatever. Don't know if that would work, but thought I'd throw it in. :)

Everyone had some good points!! I assumed a drain somewhere in the deck to dump the water. Like one that would reduce overflow or when it rains?? I would think it would go thru a filter system before it would recycle back into the main pools.

I like the dishpan idea (Maybe a blow-up one?) :p

I didn't think about sharing the blow-up pool but that would be defeating the purpose?? Well, I can only hope she is potty trained by cruise-time. We will cross that bridge when we get there.

Happy Sailing!!
E:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Confused:

I am taking a cruise in May and taking my 2 1/2 yr old with me. She is NOT potty trained. Will she be allowed to swim in any of the pools on the ship?

Mickey, the rule is no children are allowed in any of the pools unless they are potty trained. No swim diapers of any kind are allowed either. This is different than pools at the Disney resorts.

Ouch! What about if someone is being potty trainned, can they swim with swimmer pants. My question to people who have taken cruises with children who aren't potty trained, what did you do. It seems harsh that a child would not be able to use the pool if they aren't potty trained. Also, for all those parents who bring there children on these cruise, what do you do????

:confused:

I'm sorry... *dons asbestos suit*.. but I can't believe that with all the recent illnesses and such, that they aren't enforcing this waaaaaayyy common-sense rule to the teeth!!! Everyone has had some great suggestions about other ways to entertain toddlers outside the pools. Splash pans, water guns, whatever. Or even just wait until the port days and let them go splash in the ocean. No one to make sick there. :)

-gina-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter