Tokyo Disney on 2 Weeks’ Notice: Hightower Halloween Costume!

Be-yoo-ti-ful pics as always! Maybe you said this already and I'm just thick, but is there a reason why Kyoto is an anagram of Tokyo? Or is that just me being daft? Loved the imperial palace pics - everything looks so crisp and clean. I showed my DH and we were comparing the palace in Kyoto with the baroque palaces of Europe, what a difference, so cool!!!

Great update! It is a bummer that the places you visited were empty buildings. I guess I shouldn't take that for granted when we visit historical areas in America. The buildings and the grounds are beautiful! I don't know if you are going to cover this in your next update, but was the trip worth it?

Great update as usual. I was really getting into this tokoyo disney thing so I hopped over to Micechat. And I saw where someone was openly critizing you[Lurkyloo]. I was like oh no you didn't, she's like a disney celebrity.

P.S. Where are you traveling to next?

And I saw where someone was openly critizing you[Lurkyloo said:
. I was like oh no you didn't, she's like a disney celebrity.

That person criticizing Lurkyloo is just not nice!

The bullet train looks like so much fun!
How many miles took how many hours? :confused3

My daughter is saving her pennies for Japan. I showed her your TR. :goodvibes
Looking forward to more!
popcorn::

Just me...~:D:cloud9:

Is it me or are there a million hidden mickey's on these buildings??!! LOL. I have been reading along and loving the report!

Lurkyloo, another fab post.
My favorite picture is of the temple, garden, temple, water, temple.....:eek:

I'm sticking with temple. You know the decorative one.....;)

KIM

Be-yoo-ti-ful pics as always! Maybe you said this already and I'm just thick, but is there a reason why Kyoto is an anagram of Tokyo? Or is that just me being daft? Loved the imperial palace pics - everything looks so crisp and clean. I showed my DH and we were comparing the palace in Kyoto with the baroque palaces of Europe, what a difference, so cool!!!

Good question! I did a little research and learned...

Yes, kind of.

In Japan they are not usually written in roman characters - they are written in Kanji. The "KYO" part of each name uses the same Kanji, that means "capital".

Tokyo means "eastern capital"
Kyoto means "capital city"

Kyoto was the old imperial capital of the country.
Tokyo is the current capital.

So if you were reading these names in Japanese, they wouldn't be angrams at all.

Berry interestink!

Great update! It is a bummer that the places you visited were empty buildings. I guess I shouldn't take that for granted when we visit historical areas in America. The buildings and the grounds are beautiful! I don't know if you are going to cover this in your next update, but was the trip worth it?

Hmmm... that's a good question too! The bullet train tickets were definitely worth it. The tour was not outrageously priced.... so I guess it was worth it. But I confess that although Patrick wants to go back and see Kyoto at a more leisurely pace, I'm not particularly interested. Maybe if we went to Japan a lot, but I think if/when we go back I'd rather do a day trip to someplace with a lot of natural beauty than a place with a bunch of buildings to go look at!

Great update as usual. I was really getting into this tokoyo disney thing so I hopped over to Micechat. And I saw where someone was openly critizing you[Lurkyloo]. I was like oh no you didn't, she's like a disney celebrity.

That person criticizing Lurkyloo is just not nice!

Yeah, if it's the person I'm thinking of, I get the feeling there are some social-maladjustment issues there that go beyond plain old meanspiritedness, so I try not to let it bother me... ;)

P.S. Where are you traveling to next?

I'm going to Disney World! :teeth:

The bullet train looks like so much fun!
How many miles took how many hours? :confused3

My daughter is saving her pennies for Japan. I showed her your TR. :goodvibes
Looking forward to more!

Yay! That's great! The trip from Tokyo to Kyoto is about 320 miles, and it took just under 2 hours and 15 minutes. ...Now, if a train departing from Tokyo leaves at 6am traveling 185 mph and a train departing from Kyoto leaves at 7:30 am traveling 140 mph, how many pictures will Lurkyloo take of Mt. Fuji on the Tokyo train? :rotfl2:

Seriously, though, now that I'm doing the math, I guess we weren't going the train's top speed of 185 mph or we would have gotten there even faster!

Is it me or are there a million hidden mickey's on these buildings??!! LOL. I have been reading along and loving the report!

You're right! Wow—The Mouse really does have its hands in everyting! :rotfl:

Lurkyloo, another fab post.
My favorite picture is of the temple, garden, temple, water, temple.....:eek:

I'm sticking with temple. You know the decorative one.....;)

KIM

:lmao: Oh yeah, I know the one you mean! :thumbsup2

Best TR ever! I just HAVE to go to Tokyo Disney, heres to many years of saving up lol

Good question! I did a little research and learned...

Yes, kind of.

In Japan they are not usually written in roman characters - they are written in Kanji. The "KYO" part of each name uses the same Kanji, that means "capital".

Tokyo means "eastern capital"
Kyoto means "capital city"

Kyoto was the old imperial capital of the country.
Tokyo is the current capital.

So if you were reading these names in Japanese, they wouldn't be angrams at all.

Berry interestink!

Oh, that makes total sense! Thanks!!!

Japan's so beautiful! I want to go even more!

And I am still really in love with cherry blossoms.

Awe, what a cute penguin. Did it do anything?

btw, I updated my TR too ;)

Back from a family thingie in time for a TR update! Sweet! I thought Kyoto would be on my MUST list but, after seeing these pics (excellent though they were), I'm thinking I'll skip it...

So, what do you win if you get a coin in the little bowl (in the exquisite Japanese Garden)?

I will be in WDW to! Sip and Stroll here we come!

Hooray! See you there!

Best TR ever! I just HAVE to go to Tokyo Disney, heres to many years of saving up lol

Thanks for reading along! :goodvibes

:woohoo: Yes! This means lurkyloo TR entertainment through at least the rest of 2010, right?!

And BEYOND, if the length of this one is anything to go by! :teeth:

Japan's so beautiful! I want to go even more!

And I am still really in love with cherry blossoms.

Awe, what a cute penguin. Did it do anything?

Just wobbled, I think. :thumbsup2

Back from a family thingie in time for a TR update! Sweet! I thought Kyoto would be on my MUST list but, after seeing these pics (excellent though they were), I'm thinking I'll skip it...

So, what do you win if you get a coin in the little bowl (in the exquisite Japanese Garden)?

Hmmm... well if it isn't wisdom, longevity or peace, it must be a Ferrari!

After lunch we got on the bus for the afternoon tour, which started at the Heian Shrine, another bright red, Chinese-influenced affair, but this one had a lovely lake and a bridge out back that Patrick was really crazy about.

Oversized toy firetruck!
DSC04806.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

DSC04808.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

Apparently this is one of the largest torii in Japan!
DSC04812.jpg

DSC04813.jpg

DSC04814.jpg

DSC04815.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

DSC04817.jpg

So the Heian Shrine is new by shrine standards. It was built in 1895 to celebrate the 1100th anniversary of Kyoto and honors two emperors: the founder of Kyoto and the last emperor to live there before the capital of Japan was moved to Tokyo.

Many of the buildings are 2/3-scale replicas of the original Kyoto Imperial Palace, which was destroyed back in 1227.

DSC04819.jpg

DSC04820.jpg

DSC04821.jpg

DSC04822.jpg

DSC04823.jpg

These trees are covered in omikuji—a fortune paper that you draw and then tie to a branch so that it will come true (if it's a good fortune) or not come true (if it's a bad one).
DSC04824.jpg

DSC04825.jpg

DSC04826.jpg

DSC04827.jpg

DSC04828.jpg

DSC04829.jpg

DSC04830.jpg

DSC04832.jpg

DSC04833.jpg

DSC04834.jpg

DSC04835.jpg

DSC04836.jpg

DSC04838.jpg

DSC04839.jpg

DSC04840.jpg

DSC04841.jpg

DSC04842.jpg

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04844.jpg

DSC04845.jpg

DSC04846.jpg

DSC04847.jpg

We got to walk across these—and I didn't fall in the drink!
DSC04848.jpg

DSC04849.jpg

DSC04850.jpg

DSC04851.jpg

DSC04852.jpg

DSC04853.jpg

DSC04855.jpg

DSC04856.jpg

DSC04857.jpg

DSC04858.jpg

There are three gardens out back, but this one was Patrick's favorite—and his favorite stop of the day!

DSC04859.jpg

DSC04860.jpg

DSC04861.jpg

DSC04888.jpg

DSC04890.jpg

DSC04891.jpg

DSC04892.jpg

DSC04893.jpg

DSC04894.jpg

DSC04895.jpg

DSC04897.jpg

Back on the bus!

DSC04898.jpg

DSC04899.jpg

DSC04900.jpg

DSC04901.jpg

DSC04902.jpg

DSC04903.jpg

DSC04904.jpg

Next they carted us over to what may have been the most impressive site – Sanjūsangen-dō Temple which, in addition to being the longest wooden building in Japan, houses 1,000 life-size statues of Kannon, the Goddess of Mercy, plus one ginormous Kannon in the middle. It was amazing to see the sheer number of them! They didn't let us take pictures, so here's one I got from Wiki Commons:

Sanjusangendo_1979155P01B.jpg

DSC04905.jpg

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04907.jpg

DSC04908.jpg

DSC04909.jpg

DSC04910.jpg

DSC04911.jpg

DSC04912.jpg

DSC04913.jpg

DSC04914.jpg

Japan's Longest—and curviest!—Wooden Building
DSC04915.jpg

DSC04916.jpg

DSC04917.jpg

DSC04918.jpg

DSC04919.jpg

DSC04920.jpg

DSC04921.jpg

Guess what happened after that…

BUS!!!
DSC04922.jpg

DSC04923.jpg

DSC04925.jpg

DSC04926.jpg

The last stop on the tour was, well… we thought the previous places had been crowded, and they were, but this one was three times as crowded—and our guide later told us we were lucky not to be there on a busy day! It was the Kiyomizudera Temple, up on a big hill, with shops all the way up and crowds at the top.

DSC04927.jpg

DSC04928.jpg

DSC04929.jpg

DSC04930.jpg

DSC04931.jpg

DSC04932.jpg

DSC04933.jpg

DSC04934.jpg

DSC04936.jpg

DSC04937.jpg

DSC04938.jpg

Kiyomizu-dera has a rich and interesting history, most of which was completely left out of our tour guide's spiel, which she hollered over the heads of the crowd. I learned a ton of stuff about it on Wiki just now. Kiyomizu-dera temple has been there since 798, although the present buildings were constructed in 1633—without a single nail!

So many people!
DSC04939.jpg

DSC04941.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter