Toll roads

We drive over from Louisiana and about 10 years ago we decided to get the toll tag, as we usually came in on the turnpike. Best thing we’ve ever done. It is so easy not having to worry about change and you can fly through the Sunpass lane. A couple of times when others were coming, I got them tags too and paid for their way. I just make sure I have money on the account and add it as needed.

I would think that they might charge you for tolls if they get a charge on their tag during the time you have the car rented. But, with toll by plate, the charge should not go to them.

So, where did you see info that says the Toll by plate doesn't work on 417 or 528? I haven't found that in what I've read so far. Sunpass itself definitely works on 528 and 417.

If someone goes through a toll without using a payment method, how do you think the toll gets charged? It's because they get your plate/tag, otherwise everyone would be running through.

I'm sure the rental company would have active accounts. The fact remains that Sunpass specifcally states that toll by plate can be used with leases or rentals, but I haven't seen an exclusion for 528 and 417. So, please, point me to that information. I do like to be informed when I am a customer of the service. Plus I haven't been in Florida in almost 2 years so things may have changed.
https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/toll_map_prepaid_tbp.pdfIf you look at the map you can see that neither 417 from MCO to WDW or 528 from I4 to I95 are listed as accepting.
Even on the roads that it claims to work on, I wouldn't trust it when the cost of being wrong can be so high. I would spend the $15 and get a sunpass transponder, use VTP or bring a transponder from home.

https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/toll_map_prepaid_tbp.pdfIf you look at the map you can see that neither 417 from MCO to WDW or 528 from I4 to I95 are listed as accepting.
Even on the roads that it claims to work on, I wouldn't trust it when the cost of being wrong can be so high. I would spend the $15 and get a sunpass transponder, use VTP or bring a transponder from home.

528 is the Beachline East and Beachline West and that is listed. The map appears to show that you can use Toll by Plate on the part of Beachline west of MCO, coming and going toward WDW. It shows that you can't use it on Central Florida Greenway (417) or 528 going towards the Atlantic coast, east of the Airport.

I would absolutely trust it on the roads that it is listed for use on.
You would have an account number associated with your rental vehicles tag.

Thank you for taking the time to find the information.

I used budget last time, and you can ‘close’ the transponder by flipping it closed. The I used my Sunpass app to enter the license plate. They have a “rental car” option, and you put your dates of the rental car in there and the license plate number, and it simply charges your Sunpass account.

It was super quick- I got my car, took a photo of the license plate, and tried to get it in the app. I had issues with the internet in the garage, but was able to backdate it the next day. I returned the car 10 days later, and got no extra charge from Budget at all and all the charges were on my sunpass account.

528 is the Beachline East and Beachline West and that is listed. The map appears to show that you can use Toll by Plate on the part of Beachline west of MCO, coming and going toward WDW. It shows that you can't use it on Central Florida Greenway (417) or 528 going towards the Atlantic coast, east of the Airport.
That is incorrect. Beachline East is the nine easternmost miles of the Beachline that is operated by FDOT, from FL520 to US1. Beachline West is the eight miles west of US441, the 23 miles in between are operated by CFX and are not part of the Prepaid Toll by Plate.
https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/expressways/528/

Wow, this is a lot of stuff I didn't know. I am also flying on SW, arriving on the 19th, renting a car from Hertz. It looks like I should decide between the visitor pass and the transmitter.

We went to Disney about a month ago and came in on Spirit - so Terminal B. We took the shuttle to the terminal and headed down to the 1st floor and crossed over to A. We didn't have any checked bags. This works well if the rental company has counters in both terminals.

I registered the night before we came in and downloaded the app. Followed the instructions and was set. Once we were in the middle of Terminal A between the exit doors and the rental car counters, there is a desk and kiosk. The app will have a QR code to scan at the kiosk and the tag will pop out.

Be should to hang it on the mirror before you leave the garage to active the pass. The account starts with $10, but you will be refunded any portion not used.

When you get back to the airport, there are drop-off mailboxes in both terminals.

Visitor Toll Pass - Welcome

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter