Tolls driving from Ontario

It was accepted (see the link below), but I haven't tried this out yet. I did add a credit card as backup so it should, in theory, charge that if the ABA routing fails.

I will be trying this in about 2 weeks. Will report back then.

You can use this website to determine your routing number
Thanks for your help! I had the full number just like you described, and just checked it on the link you provided, and that site finds the bank. Unfortunately the other day E-Zpass kept rejecting it - saying it was an invalid routing number. Maybe their system was just wonky the other day for some reason. Will try again. I really don't want to go to the pre-paid since it will likely top up the account on our way home (when the balance drops below $10) then we'll be left with a balance we won't use (don't anticipate another trip south for quite some time).

Thanks for your help! I had the full number just like you described, and just checked it on the link you provided, and that site finds the bank. Unfortunately the other day E-Zpass kept rejecting it - saying it was an invalid routing number. Maybe their system was just wonky the other day for some reason. Will try again. I really don't want to go to the pre-paid since it will likely top up the account on our way home (when the balance drops below $10) then we'll be left with a balance we won't use (don't anticipate another trip south for quite some time).
I figured out how to get it to take the routing number - had to flip the position of the branch number & country code, leaving a zero at the beginning. Unfortunately now I'm getting a "system not available" error when I try to complete my registration. Might be time to give up and go with a SunPass ...

For those who are thinking about ordering a SunPass Pro, I ordered my on Saturday, July 23 and it arrived today (Monday, August 8) so about two weeks.

For those who are thinking about ordering a SunPass Pro, I ordered my on Saturday, July 23 and it arrived today (Monday, August 8) so about two weeks.
Thanks for this! I ended up ordering the SunPass Pro and have been stressing about it arriving on time. Ordered Aug. 1 and need it by the 19th.

Bit late to this thread but another option is CFX's Uni.

I've had one for years simply as it was the first the first 'multi-state' transponder; from their websites it does look like the SunPass Pro is basically the same thing at the same price but CFXs website seems cleaner to me FWIW. Plus the hardware is nice (and comes in black too :-) ) and the suction cups both attach and remove cleanly which is something I haven't always found with other ones.

Took under a week for it to arrive.

Bit late to this thread but another option is CFX's Uni.

I've had one for years simply as it was the first the first 'multi-state' transponder; from their websites it does look like the SunPass Pro is basically the same thing at the same price but CFXs website seems cleaner to me FWIW. Plus the hardware is nice (and comes in black too :-) ) and the suction cups both attach and remove cleanly which is something I haven't always found with other ones.

Took under a week for it to arrive.

Thanks for this advice. By the away, Amazon Canada sells this in stock. You can have it the next day if you order from them. After reading your message, I ordered one tonight and it should get here tomorrow. The good thing about Prime delivery is that if it does not work, I will just return it. Amazon has a very user-friendly return policy like Costco.

I'm just back from driving the I79/77/95 route. The long stretch approaching Charlotte is now divided into regular traffic, and two dedicated toll lanes. Even at 2:30 pm on a weekday, the traffic was backed up miles, so I quickly cut into the express lanes. Signs stated Express lanes were for EZ Pass or bill my mail (toll prices higher), so I happily took that route and flew buy miles and miles (and miles) of backed up traffic. Well worth it. Turns out, my old Sunpass did pick up those tolls anyhow. I did buy a new Sunpass Pro while down, and it also worked on the toll crossing back into Canada from the Peace Bridge.
BTW, even after midnight on a Wed evening, Peace Bridge traffic was backed up half way up the bridge. It's a disaster still.

Hmmm. Anyone have experience taking the Whirlpool Rapids (NEXUS) bridge?
We use it all the time. When we need to go through the NF/Buffalo area, this is the only bridge we take now, unless we are leaving or returning when the bridge is closed (happened once in several dozens of trips).

EZPass does work for tolls returning if that is your question.

I'm just back from driving the I79/77/95 route. The long stretch approaching Charlotte is now divided into regular traffic, and two dedicated toll lanes. Even at 2:30 pm on a weekday, the traffic was backed up miles, so I quickly cut into the express lanes. Signs stated Express lanes were for EZ Pass or bill my mail (toll prices higher), so I happily took that route and flew buy miles and miles (and miles) of backed up traffic. Well worth it. Turns out, my old Sunpass did pick up those tolls anyhow. I did buy a new Sunpass Pro while down, and it also worked on the toll crossing back into Canada from the Peace Bridge.
BTW, even after midnight on a Wed evening, Peace Bridge traffic was backed up half way up the bridge. It's a disaster still.
Thanks for the info!
I received our SunPass Pro today. Just to confirm - since I bought it online and a transponder number is showing in my account I don't have to do anything else to activate the transponder. Is this correct?

Thanks so much for this update! We are driving the exact same route next week and I appreciate the information! We would definitely want to skip the Charlotte traffic as that’s where we got really stuck last time driving down. So, you can still take the express lanes even if you *dont* have a sunpass? I don’t care about getting billed later, but we won’t have a sunpass for the drive down. Also, in Florida do you need a sunpass for the expressway down there? Or will they bill you by mail as well? I really don’t want to have to make any additional stops and don’t want a sunpass when we only drive down every 4 years. But we want the fastest route options! Haha! Bummer about the peace bridge being so backed up… we were planning on going through when it wa a ghost town at 2 am like last time, but it sounds like it will still be busy then??

Cheryl

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!
I received our SunPass Pro today. Just to confirm - since I bought it online and a transponder number is showing in my account I don't have to do anything else to activate the transponder. Is this correct?
I did go online and link the transponder to the license plate of the vehicle we added when I made the account. The transponder was active.

Thanks so much for this update! We are driving the exact same route next week and I appreciate the information! We would definitely want to skip The Charlotte traffic as that’s where we got really stuck last time driving down. So, you can still take the express lanes even if you *dont* have a sun pass? I don’t about getting billed later, but we won’t have a sunpass for the drive down. Also, in Florida do you need a sunpass for the spread down there? Or Willy hey bill you bunchofbrooks@yahoo.ca mail as well? I really don’t want to have to make any additional stops and don’t want a sunpass when we only drive down every 4 years. But we want the fastest route options! Haha! Bummer about the peace bridge being so backed up… we were planning on going through when it wa a ghost town at 2 am like last time, but it sounds like it will still be busy then??

Cheryl
https://www.i77express.com/using-the-lanes/no-quickpass-no-problem/ Depending on when you're driving through it can be pricy (The estimator said $15 for 6 pm on a weekday) but worth it to not sit in bumper to bumper traffic. The same trip on a weekend was only $3.

If you're just heading to Disney in Florida, then you won't be able to use the new I4 express lanes since they transponder-only. https://i4express.com If you used the 417 to loop around Orlando instead of using I4 then you would have to pay tolls on it.

Thanks for the info!
I had to link mine via my Sunpass account on the website as I purchased mine from Publix. If you bought it online, I would just double check the transponder ID number on your physical unit once you receive it, with the ID number attached to your account. As long as it matches and says it's linked. you should be good to go. I still have my old transponder also attached to my account, although I will be deleting it. Safe travels!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this update! We are driving the exact same route next week and I appreciate the information! We would definitely want to skip the Charlotte traffic as that’s where we got really stuck last time driving down. So, you can still take the express lanes even if you *dont* have a sunpass? I don’t care about getting billed later, but we won’t have a sunpass for the drive down. Also, in Florida do you need a sunpass for the expressway down there? Or will they bill you by mail as well? I really don’t want to have to make any additional stops and don’t want a sunpass when we only drive down every 4 years. But we want the fastest route options! Haha! Bummer about the peace bridge being so backed up… we were planning on going through when it wa a ghost town at 2 am like last time, but it sounds like it will still be busy then??

Cheryl
You're good to use the express lanes without a transponder. I definitely recommend taking it, unless you're passing through at 2 am. And I was almost fooled to get off a couple of times early, because the regular lanes seemed to open up, but they bogged down again. There was still a slow down after Charlotte once the express ends, but it wasn't bad at all. On the trip back, I was passing through Charlotte around 1:30 pm, and although traffic was steady, few were using the express lanes. I did skip onto it the last couple of tolls to avoid any potential slow down.
For Florida, it depends on the roadway. On my way down, just prior to getting onto the i4 near Daytona, the road sign flashed 'incident on i4, all lanes blocked'. This was around 6 am, and I was suddenly filled with dread. Luckily, I hit the stopped traffic only one exit before the 417, so I was only delayed about 15 min. I was planning on taking the 417 anyhow. The i4 toll as you approach Disney still had a cash lane, I don't recall seeing a 'bill by mail' option.
I crossed into NY via the Peace Bridge at about 4 am on my way down, no wait, and I could see few cars waiting to coming back into Canada. I think you're good if 2 am is your border arrival time. Cost to come back to Canada has gone up again (since May), now $10.25. Safe travels!

Cost to come back to Canada has gone up again (since May), now $10.25. Safe travels!
Yikes. It's been awhile since we drove down. I seem to remember it only being half that. The Ezpass is only 4 USD. We'll make sure not to take it down until we're back in Canada.

Just got back from my road trip around Lake Erie. EZPass worked great in Ohio - gates opened when I got near.

I assume that it also worked in NY since there are no toll booths.

Posted wait times at the Peace, Rainbow and Q/L bridges were 45, 25 and 10 minutes respectively. Whirlpool Rapids was about 2 minutes total to cross and answer one question. Score another win for NEXUS.

OK, so totally dumb question here. How would a traveler not familiar with the area know that they should get a sunpass or EZ pass or transponder? In the past, we've always been able to pull off and pay the tolls along the way. If my travels take me on a toll road, I'm not about to get off just because I don't have the transponder. So what's the worse case scenario here? Can I still use the toll roads and if they snap a pic of my lic plate, they can mail me the bill? This happened to us in Miami years ago. We were on the toll route so we stayed. Never saw a bill for it. I just want to get in my car and drive. I obviously wouldn't use the "super express" lanes like they have in Atlanta without being a "member". I'm just talking about turnpikes in general. Thoughts?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter