Tonga Toast recipe - sour dough bread?

joanne8621

Sprinkler of pixie dust
I want totry the Tonga Toast recipe, but it says to use Sourdough bread. Here in the UK I'm having trouble finding it. I've found sourdough bread rolls at one supermarket, but not sure they'll work well.
Any ideas where I can get it, or what to use as an alternative?

Joanne

I haven't had Tonga Toast at the Poly, so I don't know if the bread has that slightly sour taste to it or not. It's possible that the reason it's used is just that it is a firmer bread.

I also have a recipe for Banana Stuffed French Toast (can't remember where I got it though) that looks similar. That recipe calls for raisin bread, which sounds good to me!

If you can't find anything to substitute, I have recipes for sourdough starter and bread if you are interested.

Deb

I also have the Tonga Toast recipe from a WDW recipe book my mom bought in the '80s, which does indeed call for sourdough bread. However, I do not feel it is not necessary to have sourdough; the most important thing is to make sure you buy a firm, unsliced, large loaf of bread. Rolls do not work for French Toast, and really crusty bread will make a mess.

The loaf simply needs to be at least the same size and shape for sandwich slices, basically, and you slice it extra-thick as the recipe calls for. So pick whatever will go with banannas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter