Too ambitious? Adding on Disney Cruise for a newbie WDW and DCL family

LifeDeathAnnualDues

Earning My Ears
Looking for some advice and either a knock of reality or validation for this ambitious Disney trip.

We are staying for 6 nights at WDW for our first trip as a family of 4 (kids aged 2 and 4) during Christmastime this year. My wife and I have done WDW in a past life, prekids, so we’re treating it like a whole new experience. We are experienced Disneyland veterans, so not completely new to the game. We live on the west coast so it’s much more difficult to get to Orlando.

I’ve been eyeing Disney Cruises and the original thought was that we would go on our first cruise when our youngest turns 3 next year so he (really the parents) can enjoy the kids club. But being that we’re on the west coast, coming all the way to the east coast where most of the best Disney cruises seem to be departing from is much more of a trek. So the crazy thought came into my head of tacking on a Disney cruise at the end of our already planned WDW trip. Lo and behold there is a 3 night cruise departing from Port Canaveral on the day we were supposed to end our WDW trip.

My concerns are that this 7 day WDW trip will completely deplete us and adding on a cruise will only make us more tired and it’ll be a wasted trip. Especially as newbies to WDW, would it be overwhelming? My hope is that the cruise is relaxing and it’ll be a nice way to relax before heading back.

The original cruise plan was to go on an Alaska cruise in Aug of next year. We don’t too well in the extreme heat and worry that going on an east coast cruise during the summer will burn us to a crisp. The advantage for going next year is also that our youngest will be able to do the kids club.

Your thoughts, experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you’re experienced DLR vets than you should be well-prepared to tackle a week at WDW. Of course, if you go rope drop to close every single day that might be a different story…

WDW is more of a marathon than a sprint and afternoon breaks or 3/4 days are highly prized.

How many park days are you doing? I prefer going every day with breaks. But many do 4 park days from open to close.

I know the first cruise with kids (back in the day), a bit older than yours, 7 and 5, we did 4 days a WDW and then a 3 day cruise on the Wonder. We were also experienced WDW visitors before we were parents. Maybe just me or us, but I came back needing another vacation. I was exhausted. Maybe because my kids were a bit older at the time, we did a lot. No naps at that age. And the cruise was so much fun-we tried to do too much. Given you are coming from the west coast, I can truly understand why you may want to add on. Pacing is the key if you choose to add on the cruise, both at the parks and on the ship. We have done Alaska-traveling from the east coast. I think you may be happier doing this one. Low key, less travel time, kids a bit older-off to the clubs! Plus Alaska is just amazing.

Our first cruise was a land/sea combo - except we did the cruise first and then a week at WDW. The other way around would have been MUCH better exactly for the reasons you said. A cruise has the potential to be much more relaxing than the go-go-go pace of WDW.
That said, you can also be pretty busy on a cruise as well if you try to do all the things - excursions in every port, booking extra activities on the ship But it's more in your control there of how busy you choose to be, if that makes sense? To me, the experience of a cruise is being on the ship, on the water, and then enjoying the Disney touches at our leisure, where a week at WDW always felt like we had to "do all the things" to get our money's worth.
Just my opinion, but I'd go for it. :)

especially for a three night trip, and the fact you're a west coast family, I'd do it. You can make a cruise as relaxing as you'd like... I think a 3 night cruise might be the perfect length... I tend to love cruises but not super long ones.

Our first cruise was last year (sandwiched in a WDW trip) and we went on a 4-night cruise. My whole family enjoyed it but wished it was longer. I couldn't imagine a 3-night for first time Disney cruiser as there is so much to do. Certainly more relaxing than WDW, but still a LOT to see.

I'd wait and make it another trip that you can specifically get hyped for and savor WDW at Christmastime. Build in rest/resort days.

Our first cruise was last year (sandwiched in a WDW trip) and we went on a 4-night cruise. My whole family enjoyed it but wished it was longer. I couldn't imagine a 3-night for first time Disney cruiser as there is so much to do. Certainly more relaxing than WDW, but still a LOT to see.

I'd wait and make it another trip that you can specifically get hyped for and savor WDW at Christmastime. Build in rest/resort days.
Our first was a 3-night and while, yes, at the end we wished it had been longer, it was a good length of time for a first-ever cruise since we didn't know before we went if we would like it, would we be seasick, etc.
More of a "try before you buy" lol!

Of course our next was a 4-night - still not long enough. We have another 4-night coming up this summer, but that's more about the destination (Lookout Cay) so I'm ok with that.
We just did a 7-night in February (on NCL, but still good) and that was great. And we have 7 nights booked on the Treasure next year - can't wait!

You say "during Christmas" -- does that mean over the actual holiday and the week leading up to New Year's? Or you just mean in December?

I ask because that week between Christmas and New Year's is notoriously crowded at WDW. Typically the biggest crowds of the year -- elbow to elbow, get just a few rides in each day -- kind of crowds.

After dealing with that, I honestly don't know that I'd be up for a cruise with kids that young. A cruise after the parks is a great idea because the parks are go-go-go busy and the cruise is so much more relaxing. But with a 2-yr-old, while you do have access to the Nursery, you will have the little one with you most of the time. Chasing a 2-yr-old and entertaining them isn't exactly relaxing. But folks do it and enjoy their cruise.

I'm not saying don't do it. But I'm saying really weigh the situation and decide if waiting until the youngest can go to the Club/Lab may be more enjoyable for the parents. I certainly understand the desire to not make the cross-country trek twice.

The cruises out of San Diego are worth your consideration. We've done cruises on both coasts, so I can report that our Disneyland/ DCL Wonder out of San Diego was delightful. We have also done WDW / DCL cruises. They are also wonderful, but your thought of your little being 3 y o and having time in the Kids' Club is really valid. I would wait until that is a possibility, but that's just me.

If you’re experienced DLR vets than you should be well-prepared to tackle a week at WDW. Of course, if you go rope drop to close every single day that might be a different story…

WDW is more of a marathon than a sprint and afternoon breaks or 3/4 days are highly prized.

How many park days are you doing? I prefer going every day with breaks. But many do 4 park days from open to close.
You say "during Christmas" -- does that mean over the actual holiday and the week leading up to New Year's? Or you just mean in December?

I ask because that week between Christmas and New Year's is notoriously crowded at WDW. Typically the biggest crowds of the year -- elbow to elbow, get just a few rides in each day -- kind of crowds.

After dealing with that, I honestly don't know that I'd be up for a cruise with kids that young. A cruise after the parks is a great idea because the parks are go-go-go busy and the cruise is so much more relaxing. But with a 2-yr-old, while you do have access to the Nursery, you will have the little one with you most of the time. Chasing a 2-yr-old and entertaining them isn't exactly relaxing. But folks do it and enjoy their cruise.

I'm not saying don't do it. But I'm saying really weigh the situation and decide if waiting until the youngest can go to the Club/Lab may be more enjoyable for the parents. I certainly understand the desire to not make the cross-country trek twice.
We're going to be there from 12/21 - 27 (Sat - Fri): travel day, park day, park day, rest day (Tues / Christmas eve), park day, park day, travel day. Unfortunately, I know this is during peak peak times where the crowds will be at its craziest, but we don't have that much time to take as much time off during the year other than the kids break and coming from the Pacific Northwest. We're not the rope drop type and our kids are below the height requirements for most of the rides, so it will be for a few rides and to explore WDW and the holiday decorations.

@lanejudy your comment about the 2 year old is so true, especially for our 2 year old because he has so much chaotic energy that just a park day is daunting, so I'm thinking the same will be true for a cruise.
The cruises out of San Diego are worth your consideration. We've done cruises on both coasts, so I can report that our Disneyland/ DCL Wonder out of San Diego was delightful. We have also done WDW / DCL cruises. They are also wonderful, but your thought of your little being 3 y o and having time in the Kids' Club is really valid. I would wait until that is a possibility, but that's just me.
I am also very interested in this, but do they only depart a few times a year? When I looked into August of next year, looks like they didn't have anything planned.

I'm leaning more toward not adding the cruise to our WDW itinerary because I want to save it for when my 2 year old is well into his 3s and we can utilize the kids club. We will have to quell our FOMO and maybe save the east coast cruise for 2026 when we can add WDW after we've had some WDW and cruise experience under our belt.

The Wonder does the Alaska cruises (~May to Sep) and the ones out of San Diego; unless ships get repositioned, you should not expect to see ones out of San Diego during those months.

We lived in England when we did our first two DCL cruises (we're now in Australia) so they were both combined WDW/Universal Studios and DCL trips as it's too far to go to not do it that way. Our kids were 8 and 6 the first time. We did 7 nights in Orlando first followed by 7 night cruises.

We'd done WDW only on a previous trip, so were selective about which parks we went to and which attractions we visited in the parks, doing 4 of the 7 days in parks but not full days. That approach worked, and the kids weren't too tired when we got to the cruises and got the most out of the DCL experience.

The cruises can be as busy or as relaxed as you want them to be. You choose what to do and when. Our kids enjoyed the Oceaneers club a lot on those first two cruises and didn't want to leave (they weren't bothered for Vibe/Edge when they got older).

Personally, I'd say that if you want to do it then go for it, so long as you have yourself, you'll have a wonderful, memorable holiday.

We're going to be there from 12/21 - 27 (Sat - Fri): travel day, park day, park day, rest day (Tues / Christmas eve), park day, park day, travel day. Unfortunately, I know this is during peak peak times where the crowds will be at its craziest, but we don't have that much time to take as much time off during the year other than the kids break and coming from the Pacific Northwest. We're not the rope drop type and our kids are below the height requirements for most of the rides, so it will be for a few rides and to explore WDW and the holiday decorations.

@lanejudy your comment about the 2 year old is so true, especially for our 2 year old because he has so much chaotic energy that just a park day is daunting, so I'm thinking the same will be true for a cruise.

I am also very interested in this, but do they only depart a few times a year? When I looked into August of next year, looks like they didn't have anything planned.

I'm leaning more toward not adding the cruise to our WDW itinerary because I want to save it for when my 2 year old is well into his 3s and we can utilize the kids club. We will have to quell our FOMO and maybe save the east coast cruise for 2026 when we can add WDW after we've had some WDW and cruise experience under our belt.

They only depart a few times a year. I think due to repositioning.

Personally, if within your budget, I would add on the cruise! I would add on the cruise after WDW AND then book a future cruise while onboard. Use that 10% off onboard booking benefit to book the Alaska cruise in August! :rolleyes1

The way I see it, I would much rather entertain and chase my two year old around a Disney Cruise than at home! I still don't have to cook or clean and get to wash them play, splash in the water areas, meet characters, etc. and then would book some nursery time during a meal or two!

We did a combo 5 day Disneyland trip with a 7 night cruise on the Disney Wonder to Mexico as our introduction to the world of Disney and have been hooked ever since! My youngest was 3 and older one was 5. At dinner times, my 3 year old would often fall asleep so they would make a makeshift "bed" for him so we could enjoy our meals. And even though he was old enough to go to the kids club, he preferred to be with us still so it didn't work out exactly as we planned but we all still had so much fun. How relaxing or busy you make it will be completely within your control.

We are also from the Pacific Northwest and going to the east coast can be a trek and it just makes sense for us to add on since we will be there anyways. In fact, we will be doing the WDW - Disney Cruise combo this coming December over Christmas as well! We'll be spending 12 nights at Animal Kingdom Lodge and then doing 3 nights on the Disney Wish - it just fit perfectly into our school break time.

Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter