• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Too good to be true? Undercover Tourist and hotel direct vs Universal site

karaintn

Mouseketeer
I’m a package person - I like the ease of booking everything in one place and being done. I have a trip booked for July through the Universal website - 4 day, 3 park tickets + stay at the HRH for 5 people.

On a whim I just calculated what it would cost using Undercover Tourist for the tickets and booking the room directly through HRH. It was $900 cheaper!?! What am I missing? How can this be?

If I do this, I still get all the benefits I would get with a package, right? Early park entry and unlimited express pass.

Yes you still get all the benefits. I usually book the tickets and room separately to save money but holy cow that is a big price difference. Are they both park to park tickets for the same length of time?

I used to do packages too, but not anymore. You used to come out even or even a little better with a package often with some extra small perks, but I do not find that to be true anymore.

Yes you still get all the benefits. I usually book the tickets and room separately to save money but holy cow that is a big price difference. Are they both park to park tickets for the same length of time?

I know! I keep checking to make sure I’m comparing apples to apples. They’re both 4 day, park to park, including Volcano Bay. The hotel for both is a Club room at HRH for 4 nights.

I got a really good deal on Priceline last spring break (animal kingdom lodge for $221). I would have booked Hard Rock Hotel through them, but I figured out that I could book our entire stay on Chase Ultimate Rewards points. If you play the points game, you can take a very inexpensive vacation at Universal.

When did you book your package? Perhaps hotel prices have come down since you booked the package and that's why there is $900 difference now.

Usually booking separate is a bit cheaper or about the same. Never seen a $900 difference before when comparing apples to apples and pricing out at the same time.

If you price out your package now, is it cheaper than when you booked it?

I got a really good deal on Priceline last spring break (animal kingdom lodge for $221). I would have booked Hard Rock Hotel through them, but I figured out that I could book our entire stay on Chase Ultimate Rewards points. If you play the points game, you can take a very inexpensive vacation at Universal.
How do the points work? We want add on a day at universal. Our family of 5 at HRH one night is 1800...insane!!

How do the points work? We want add on a day at universal. Our family of 5 at HRH one night is 1800...insane!!

That is insane! We went over spring break in a deluxe HRH room and it was way way less. Is your price for a suite?

I have similarly used Undercover Tourist (not for HRH, but for the Doubletree across from the Entrance to US) and saved about $600 off the regular price last year. As long as all the fine print reads the same (re: cancellations, number of days, number of parks, etc.), it should be fine :) Enjoy your savings!

Here's a not-so-longshot. Call universal and tell them about the deal. They might throw you a bone.

That is insane! We went over spring break in a deluxe HRH room and it was way way less. Is your price for a suite?
No room is 500 for basic, park to park was like 275 per person (same price for 1 day and 4 days...good deal if there for four days.

When did you book your package? Perhaps hotel prices have come down since you booked the package and that's why there is $900 difference now.

Usually booking separate is a bit cheaper or about the same. Never seen a $900 difference before when comparing apples to apples and pricing out at the same time.

If you price out your package now, is it cheaper than when you booked it?

Disregard. For the hotel I was using the subtotal after the deposit was removed . It’s still $200 cheaper buying separately, but I was already feeling that $900 in my pocket!

You login to your Chase account and book through the Ultimate rewards website. I think it was about 35,000 points per night for HRH. RP was about 33,000.

Disregard. For the hotel I was using the subtotal after the deposit was removed . It’s still $200 cheaper buying separately, but I was already feeling that $900 in my pocket!

That sounds more like what I would expect.

Still a savings is still a savings.

That sounds more like what I would expect.

Still a savings is still a savings.

In my experience with UCT when all is said and done the discount is about 5%. Nothing earth shattering but I will absolutely take it.

No room is 500 for basic, park to park was like 275 per person (same price for 1 day and 4 days...good deal if there for four days.
That ticket price isn't right. A 1 day park to park ticket is $169-- $100 less than you are saying. You don't need to buy express passes if you stay at HRH. Don't mistakenly buy tickets that include EPs. That's the only way I can see how you are possibly getting to $275/ person. Also, price out Royal Pacific as it is usually cheaper.

That ticket price isn't right. A 1 day park to park ticket is $169-- $100 less than you are saying. You don't need to buy express passes if you stay at HRH. Don't mistakenly buy tickets that include EPs. That's the only way I can see how you are possibly getting to $275/ person. Also, price out Royal Pacific as it is usually cheaper.
Royal pacific is 30 cheaper and pool was under construction. Tickets are for 2 days since we would be staying over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter