Top 3 things you remember about kindergarten ?

1. My grandma would walk me to/from school and on the way home, we always stopped for a treat.

2. The metal slide in the playground that was 9 million degrees by 10am.

3. The row of art easels and paint jars. I'd spend forever there.

Oddly, I don't remember any of the kids or the teachers.

1. I was the only girl in the class (except for the teacher).

2. I had a boyfriend and one time when we were both sent out of the room while playing one of those "what's missing?" games, we got caught kissing.

3. There was a small branch of our town's library near our school, and we walked there once a week for a movie (on the old reel-style machine), snack, and to pick out a book. Always in the basement. Our teacher would put our books in her bag and I usually helped her carry it back to the school. We couldn't take the books home, though; we had to leave them at school so we could all enjoy them for the week.

1. The teacher also taught my Mom and her 11 siblings.
2. My Mom helping me cross the street from the 3rd floor window to get over to my cousins so we could walk together to school.
3. Chocolate milk for snack.

Didn't go to kindergarten so these are my nursery school recollections:

Small fixtures in the bathrooms.

A class play based on a circus with costumes from Vickie Sheer's School of Dance supplied by the older sisters of classmates. I played the ring leader.

The time an oil delivery truck caught on fire about 2000 yds from the school on Gun Hill Road. Fortunately no one was hurt.

A fun thread.

I remember nap time with my little green and white blanket and then milk time with the little cartons of milk I could never get to open the right way so the milk always tasted like the package.

Getting in trouble for talking and touching the walls in the hallway. I liked how they felt, all bumpy when you ran your hands along them. Then getting in trouble with my mom the second I walked out of school for getting in trouble in school. She told me many years later that the girl I thought was my best friend ratted me out every day.

Air raid practices and getting warned not to touch the walls. We had to sit in the hallway up against the wall and practice having a bomb dropped on us and what to do. Touching the walls was the least of my problems if the bomb dropped on us.

And a bonus being terrified of mailboxes on the corner. My aunt would take me to school in the morning, she is only 4 years older than I am. She told me the boogeyman lived in the mailboxes and if I ran ahead of her he would jump out and take me. I had no idea what the boogeyman was but I was scared of him and mailboxes for a long time.

1) You couldn't touch the floor with your bare hands without being afraid you would burn them. They used radiant heat with hot water pipes in the concrete floor to heat the classrooms. I had never seen radiant heat before. You had to be careful at nap time to make sure you only touched your blanket, not the floor when laying down. All our houses had forced air heat.

2) The time my dad came to pick me up after school and a couple of kids freaked yelling "don't get in a car with a stranger". In 1962 it was not normal for a parent to drop off or pick up a child at school, we all walked or rode our bikes. Far cry from the gridlock at elementary schools these days.

3) Those little cartons of milk, and graham crackers. Never had graham crackers before, and my mom never bought them. 7 years ago when my mom passed away I found my welcome to kindergarten letter from Mrs. Davis. It was a ditto, remember dittos? The cost of milk, one carton per day for the entire school year, $8.

1. Learning how to spell "Saturday" by listening to KC and the Sunshine band.
2. Putting my stuff in a cubby each morning.
3. Snack time: those flower shaped cookies (sugar cookie? butter cookie?) with a hole in the middle. We would put the cookie on our finger (like a ring) and eat around the cookie until we had to break it to finish it.

1. My teacher, Miss Roberts, played the guitar for us every day. She loved "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head."

2. Our classroom had the Letter People inflatables hanging from the ceiling.

3. I got to sit at the reading table during nap time with a few other kids who could already read. This was great, because I have never been a napper at all in my life.

Playing on the separate Kindergarten play yard (and wanting to be where the “big kids”played..)

Indoor recess in the special play area only for JK & SK kids in the deepest depths of the old school basement.. it had tricycles, a wooden climbing structure, floor blocks, a full size slide! And plenty of bean bags, skipping ropes and balls😊

The teacher in SK figuring out that I could read - and having daily reading time with the VP. (she was lovely & very encouraging.. lol)

Oh.. and remembering not to go up the down staircase! Got in trouble a few times for taking the shortcut... 🙄

Keep in mind that this was the early 70s, so:
a) we could still bring in homemade treats for birthdays, and
b) we weren't expected to learn to read until 1st grade. -

1. - My birthday happened to fall during the week we were learning the first letter of my name. So my dad made a cookie cutter (with tin and a soldering iron) and my mom made letter cookies for me to take to school. :love:

2. - We had a boy who used a wheelchair in my class, and everyone wanted to be picked to push it for him. (I don't remember now if it was temporary thing like a broken leg, or something more serious, but I only remember 3 students' names from my class, and his is one of them.)

3. - My kindergarten teacher happened to be married to the calculus teacher at the high school, so I started K and ended grade 12 with the same couple. :goodvibes

3. Nap time and seeing Debbie Twiggs underwear, we actually were friends thru High School and laughed about this on many occasions

2. The teacher telling Terry Brown his sure was inside out , so he tool it off and thru it away (as if it was the shirts fought) . Oddly enough me and Terry are still friends, only one I still keep in tough with. He has lived an odd life, he is the nicest guy you will ever meet 95 percent of time, quiet,laughs at all your jokes, then all of a sudden he robs fast food restaurant. Us that know him now call him The Hamburgular

1. Art Time, everyone drew a pic, but every day one kid got his chance at the easel to paint a pic. One Boy just thru colors all over the paper, and the reacher asked him what it was he said an explosion. then the next time a boy got to do a pic he drew an explosion, the next boy was me, I painted an explosion then the teacher made an anuncment, " we have seen enough explosions, no more", LOL

What do I remember? Absolutely nothing. You see, our small town didn't have kindergarten, so I started first grade at the age of 6!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter