Top 5 best and worst attractions

Sorry once again....it kept timing out and usually the post gets lost, so I was persistent...lol.....and I still can't delete!

Curiously, two of this forums most notorious posters have yet to share their Top Fives (namely Baron and Voice). Might this be because they are the same person? Seems like a decent rumor to me.
My God, Scoop!!! I’m blushing all over!!! Thanks for the compliment, but just look at the writing styles. AV shoves a verb next to a noun much better than I could ever hope to. But thanks anyway!! (Besides, I’m still betting AV’s a drop dead beautiful babe. Now dating OWTS!!)

Naw. The real reason is I’ve been a bit busy lately. While I deplore lists as a basis for an argument or evidence in a debate, this type is fun. I just haven’t had time to reply. But I have read it and found the responses… enlightening. So many the same and yet quite a few surprises!

You know, every time I do one of these things they are never the same. This time Cranium Command didn’t make the list (maybe I bowed to peer pressure). I purposely left live shows and parades off the list. I don’t care what the “official” Disney spin is, they are NOT attractions!!! They are plusses!! Extras!!! How dare they think they can…. Ooops! Got carried away. Sorry. Anyway, as of this moment here it is:

1- Pirates of the Caribbean
2- Splash Mountain
3- Haunted Mansion
4- The American Adventure
5- Tower of Terror

Very honorable mentions to: Buzz, Spaceship Earth, Cranium Command, Killimanjaro Safari, Peter Pan's Rock 'N' Roller Coaster, CoP, Muppets, Mickey Mouse Review (God, I loved that show!!) and almost everything else!!!

1- Dinosaur
2- Test Track
3- Tomorrow Land Speedway
4- Kali River Rapids
5- Aladdin's Magic Carpets, Triceratop Spin!

Dishonorable mentions: Innoventions, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, Fantasmic

Just a couple of other thoughts on some of the posts within this thread:
I'm probably one of about four people who considers Snow White a must-do
Sorry JJ. I guess this is the 1% that we part company on (I do agree with 99% of everything you say). But I’m right with you on Peter Pan. I always thought with just a little more effort, they would have had an “E” ticket with that one. Anyway, it’s by far, the best of the “D” tickets!! At least with the disappearance of the Mickey Mouse Review!
Tomorrowland Transit Authority (Oh, the difference a voice-over can make. Twenty years or more ago, the fascinating and educational WEDway PeopleMover was one of my favorite rides. Today's insipid "next station" spiel makes it almost unbearable, and completely vapid)
Hmmm. Did I write this? No, JJ did. But I’ve thought it! Over and over and over and over…. Again!!!
Also agree with Living Seas as one or the worst!!!
Hmmm. Has anyone really explored this pavilion? Yeah the ride is lame, but the pavilion is wonderful. I always thought the place was lame too, until a thunderstorm trapped us inside the building for several hours (instead of the usual ½ hour, breezing past everything at a breakneck speed) and we were really forced to look deep into some of the stuff. WONDERFUL!!! A hidden treasure! Try it sometime.
PS: and of course, the "marketplace" movies where the vendors follow your boat reminds me of my early days on If You Had Wings... If You Had Wings... If You... Had Wings... Had Wings... Had Wings...
My goodness JJ!! Did you and I have the exact same reaction to WDW in our younger days!?!? Once again, your take on the whole ‘Mexico’ thing mirror my thoughts, to a tee!!

I've only been to WDW so all of mine are based on that

BEST

1. Splash Mountain
2. Tower of Terror
3. Rock N Roller Coaster
4. Dinosaur
5. Peter Pan's Flight

WORST

1. It's a Small World
2. Dumbo

That's all...sorry!! I can't really say I hate any rides except it's a small world....

My goodness JJ!! Did you and I have the exact same reaction to WDW in our younger days!?!?
...well, that sure would explain some things, wouldn't it?

Jeff

PS: (I'm obviously just looking for abuse, at this point) There are three things that stand out to me about Snow White's Scary Adventures. First, the way the ride mech swings the tail of the car slightly to present the desired scene from the desired angle is nearly flawless (much better than, say, Pooh, which points you in some odd directions in some scenes. That's one of the reasons I strongly suspect they used at least some of the same exact ride path from Mr. Toad and just repainted the scenes around it)... the "cinematography" in Snow White rivals that of Pirates, to my way of thinking (albeit on a significantly smaller scale). Also, I feel the Queen/Witch transformation and the Snow White/lightning scene are stunningly good examples of using simple components and a lot of care in planning and execution to create very effective scenes. And the sucker just runs and runs.

I am a little cranky that they changed the Witch pushing the rock scene. It's almost difficult to tell that's what's happening, sometimes.

All that said, I fully realize a lot of people just see the ride as a not particularly souped up funhouse. Differ'nt strokes, and all.

:D
Best of the Best:
5. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (Even though it is in dire need of a rehab)
4. TOT (as great as the show itself)
3. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (Best First 2.61 seconds of a ride ever)
2. Test Track (Nothing specific just the entire ride!)
and the top prize goes to...
1.THE HAUNTED MANSION! (Theres always room for one more...)

:(
Now for the Bottom of the Barrel
5. Speedway (Its loud. Its smelly. It does not belong!)
4. Its A Small World (Make the song stop!!!)
3. Dumbo (Up. Down. Spin in circles. Repeat untill bored stupid.)
2. All of Micky's ToonTown Fair (No, just no.)
and the worst is...
1. The Hall Of Presidents ( I don't care about history on my vaction.)

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ME THAT IS YOUR RIGHT. SO PLEASE NO HATE MAIL, BASHING, AND IN OTHER WORDS DON'T GET ANGRY. JUST STAY COOL.

I want to thank everyone very much who has shared their opinions so far. I have found your lists to very enlightening. While there has been some consistancy the ones that stand out have really surprised me. LandBaron, Oh how do I wish Voice was a beautiful babe it would have solved all my problems. Oh, and I agree with you 100% on the Living Seas in fact that point you made of taking the time to enjoy the pavilion applies to all of EPCOT so many people spend only half a day in the park and complain about the lack of attractions in the park. I could easily spend 4 days in EPCOT fully exploring all the nations of the world showcase and the pavilions of future world. It is a same that so much of EPCOT is forgotten and ignored because of the fast paced, hurry up society we have today.

Did I miss it, or did nobody mention Alien Encounter in their Top 5? With the latest technology and Disney theming it certainly makes my Top 5 list.

Doug, I'd actually push Alien Encounter closer to my bottom five than the top. The preshow is a little mean spirited and the attraction scares the bejeezers out of a good segment of the WDW travelling public. So much so that it's caused kids to not want to do any more attractions. It's kind of an anti-Disney attraction to me. It holds the title of "most explicit set of warnings on property." I'm struggling to think of another example. Is this the only attraction where guests get to watch something get killed before their very eyes??

I am going to change this thread a little. How about the BEST and WORST 5 attraction renovations/redos (at least in my recent memory):

Best:
1. "TakeFlight!" or whatever it was called beforehand into Buzz LYSR Spin
2. Timekeeper in for Circle vision (why this never caught on in popularity, I will never understand)
3. Snow White's renovation in the late 1990's in WDW (I think it is so much better now)
4. Enchanted Tiki Room Upgrade in WDW (I know I am going to get a lot of slack for putting that there---but this attraction's numbers have greatly increased since the change).
5. Universe of Energy into Ellen's Energy Adventure

Worst:
1. Journey Into Imagination (no comment necessary)
2. Wedway into RocketRods (the idea was great, but the execution horrible)
3. Pooh replacing Toad (I love the ride, but for cyring out loud put up another building and add a ride)
4. The replacement of Food Rocks for Kitchen Kaberet (again, a nice idea, but plywood figures don't impress me)
5. The replacement of the Skyway with two buildings themed to "condemended and haunted" dwellings on either end of the park.

Baron- I noticed you put Fantasmic in your dishonorable mention group. I think I have a pretty good idea about the other attractions on your worst/dishonorable list, but I'm curious why Fantasmic is on there. I'm sure you've probably explained before, but I was either brow-beating somebody on the Debate board or mowing my lawn. Would you mind giving your reasons?

Thanks!

Top 5 best:

1 - Haunted Mansion
2 - Tower of Terror
3 - Pirates
4 - Splash Mtn.
5 - American Adventure

Bottom 5:

1 - JIYI (What were they thinking???)
2 - Main Street Cinema (another store with coming attractions to current video release)
3 - Pocahontas
4 - Living Seas
5 - Swiss Family Treehouse

Best Gone but not Forgotten:

1 - Horizons
2 - Penny Arcade
3 - Skyway (at night)
4 - Mr. Toad
5 - Mickey Mouse Revue (fun to see lots of characters in one place)

As for Grand Prix Raceway (sorry, I call everything by its original name) my kids love it, and it was my favorite until I got my license!

Lisa

Did you not see that I had TT as 3rd...Or am I just a 'givin'?;)
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

I wouldn't touch this thread with a ten-foot pole except that I disagree with gcurling on this...
Is this the only attraction where guests get to watch something get killed before their very eyes??
As I remember it, Skippy is not killed. He is very, very singed and not put back together very well but is alive as you exit the preshow.

Best.

1. Splash Mountain (can Disney ever top this? )
2. Pirates
3. Mansion
4. Space Mountain
5. RNRC

Honorable Mentions to Big Thunder, Dinosaur, TOT, Buzz

Worst

1. Test Track (uggg, dont think I'll ever go on this one again)
2. Dinorama (ok, so this is two attractions)
3. Small World
4. Hall of Presidents
5. Body Wars

Hey Horizons Fan, what about that "Cast Member" that gets slaughtered on the catwalk during the show portion of Alien Encounter (complete with Disney blood splatered on the guests).

Dave, not Skippy. The Alien. Whether he's (or she's) good or bad, it does get fried before our eyes. Hey, it's just one guy's opinion. I don't care for the attraction, it's just not a good Magic Kingdom fit to me. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Scoop, who's about to get raped in PoC. If you are referencing the chasing scenes, those were changed longed ago. Perhaps you are referencing the auction. Help me out here.

My top five best:

5:Pirates
4:Haunted Mansion
3:Kali River (and the whole AK experince without Dinoland..yuck!)
2:Food and WineFest at EPCOT (what a blast!)
1: Illuminations

Top five worst:
5: the Speedway at MK...it;s like riding a lawnmower.
4:Indiana Jones..it was funny the first time.
3:MGM studios ..the whole thing
4:20,000 leagues ....please do something with the area!!!!
1:Riverboat ride around Tom Sawer island....snore.

Watch out WDW! We are coming back in November!

Cathy-Jesse

WDW 1972
Beach Club 93
CS 97
WL 98
POFQ 99
Disneyland 2001
CB with Cruise 2002
BW with CruiseNovember 2002 (8 months to go!)

...but I'll put in my two-cents worth:

5 BEST --
1) R'N'R Coaster
2) ToT
3) Splash Mtn
4) Test Track
5) tie between Haunted Mansion & Dinosaur

5 WORST --
1) Pocahontas
2) Maelstrom
3) Living Seas
4) Tiki Bird Lounge Under New Management
5) tie between Journey into Imagination & that STUPID treehouse (go to a McDonald's with an indoor play park - it's cheaper!!)

I based my picks on whether I would or wouldn't survive if I never went on these rides ever again....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter