Top 5 Greatest Athletes ever

1. Michael Jordan
2. Babe Ruth
3. Willie Mays
4. Jim Thorpe
5. Walter Payton

Michael Jordan - head and shoulders above all my other selections. He is basketball God and I hate that people constantly compare current players to him - not even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cal Ripken
Joe Montana
Muhammad Ali
Michael Phelps - I know you were making fun of him upthread, but seriously, he has qualified for his 5th!!! Olympics. That is crazy good.

5. Lebron James
4. Jessie Owens
3. Michael Jordon
2. Jim Brown
1. Bo Jackson

Jordon, Brown, and Bo are great choices. They are multidimensional multi-sport athletes, something almost non-existent today at the top level.

LeBron misses out on that factor alone; heck, he isn't even the best basketball now. Owens is a tough call, but he misses the list also as a one sport athlete.

I'm going to add Jim Thorpe, Babe Didricksen Zaharias and give "Prime Time" Deion Sanders a wildcard spot.

In no particular order

1. Secretariat. His record at the Belmont may never be broken.
2. Margaret Court.
3. Michael Phelps.
4. Bernard Hinault.
5. Mark Allen It's tough enough just to finish an Ironman at Kona. He won 6 and dominated at other triathlon events too.

Last edited:
Johnny Bench
Wayne Rooney...English Soccer
Franco Harris
Jim Brown
Tim Tebow

In no particular order

2. Margaret Court.
3. Michael Phelps.
4. Bernard Hinault.
5. Mark Allen It's tough enough just to finish an Ironman at Kona. He won 6 and dominated at other triathlon events too.

Belmont was remarkable alone, but he also has record times for the other 2 triple crown races. 40 years and all the new enhancements they have for horses now and he still holds all three. I remember seeing some documentary that when they gave him autopsy his heart was incredibly big and probably the main reason he was such a phenom.

In no particular order

2. Margaret Court.
3. Michael Phelps.
4. Bernard Hinault.

Can I add Chrissie Wellington to your list? Only 4 Kona wins, but took the game to a whole new level. It's going to be fun to watch Daniela Ryf take Kona to a whole entire level as well.

Totally subjective, but...

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Toller Cranston
4. Muhammed Ali
5. Serena Williams

I'm going to add Jim Thorpe, Babe Didricksen Zaharias and give "Prime Time" Deion Sanders a wildcard spot.

Personally, I believe Sanders to be one of the most overrated DB's of our time. Tremendous athlete and yes his interception & return stats are phenomenal. But, the number of really big plays he GAVE UP while trying to make a play on the ball takes him out of contention IMO. I especially remember a game against the Rams where he picked off one pass & ran it back about 40 yards before being tackled. He also whiffed on 4 other interception attempts in that game resulting in 28 points for the Rams.

"Greatest" (accomplished more) or "best" (as in most talented)??? MJ is arguably the greatest athlete but not even close to the best athlete....Your average NFL wide reciever is bigger (muscular) stronger, and faster than MJ....but not taller and not the vertical leap.

Jim Thorpe
Deion Sanders
Wilt Chamberlain
Muhammad Ali
Duke Kahanamoku

Bill Buckner
Ben Johnson
Lance Armstrong
Tonya Harding
Lindsey Jacobellis (hot dogging Olympic snowboarder)

HAHA!!!
Isn't lindsey the one that had a huge lead, tried to do a method grab off the jump and crashed and then tried to play it off as an attempt to maintain stability?
Tanya Harding of go take out the competition for me fame. And who could forget my skate lace untied gimme a do over.
Lance Armstrong. PEDs.
Ben Johnson PEDs
Bill buckner. right through the legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter