Top musical performances (Live TV)

I agree, but just explaining why that particular performance (Motown 25th anniversary special) got so much attention. Michael also performed that night with his brothers in a reunion of the Jackson 5, but that was considered the start of his rise to stardom as a solo artist.
Didn’t Off the Wall and The Wiz already do that?

One I saw in person, that still gives me chills was Whitney Houston at Wolf Trap, early in her career. Her voice - the things she could do with it. Blew me away.

I’ll take it a step further.... didn’t Rockin’ Robin and Ben already do that?

Wasn't that the Jackson 5? I mean - Michael Jackson was already famous from the family act. But he was already a star. Just not a solo act yet.

I guess El DeBarge thought he could do the same thing.

Wasn't that the Jackson 5? I mean - Michael Jackson was already famous from the family act. But he was already a star. Just not a solo act yet.

I guess El DeBarge thought he could do the same thing.
He was still part of the J5, but those 2 songs were released under his own name. His solo career began in 1971 but he stayed in the J5 until the mid ‘80s, IIRC.

Yes but she also didn’t try to fool anyone either. No microphone at all. Great performance. It was all about the show.

I like Madonna's music and I hated that "performance". I just can't tolerate lip syncing. So many lead singers do plenty of running around on stage and are still able to sing. Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, Joe Elliot, Jon Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger. If you can't put on a good show and sing at the same time, that doesn't say a lot about your ability as a musician.

Bette Midler on the final Carson hosted Tonight Show with a guest. I haven’t watched late night TV since. The end of an era.
Technically, that wasn't live. It was, as The Late Show intro states, "...live on tape..."

I do really enjoy Pink's Grammy and MJ Motown anniversary performances mentioned here, but I also have to mention Bruno Mars at the Grammy's performing Runaway Baby and Ricky Martin doing Cup of Life. Not positive it qualifies as necessarily TV performance, but the live concert performance by George Michael and Elton John of Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me is one I've always loved, and of course Queen's spectacular Live Aid set. A lesser known but no less spectacular performance was Keala Settle performing This Is Me on Graham Norton.

Yes, Ricky Martin and Cup of Life on the Grammy Awards, that basically (re)launched his career in the US - that was in 1999 or 2000? I remember Madonna in the front row completely freaking out over him!

Technically, that wasn't live. It was, as The Late Show intro states, "...live on tape..."

Well if nits are going to be picked, I believe the Motown 25 Special was recorded, not performed live.

Yes, Ricky Martin and Cup of Life on the Grammy Awards, that basically (re)launched his career in the US - that was in 1999 or 2000? I remember Madonna in the front row completely freaking out over him!

I'm not sure of the year, but I know it electrified the audience and got them on their feet. He went from interchangeable former boy band singer to OMG, who is that?! in under five minutes. After that he released Livin' La Vida Loca and had a huge hit that I believe he was invited back to perform again at the Grammy's. Despite being a huge hit that everyone knew IMO it didn't come close to the energy of the Cup of Life performance.

I love it when the Grammy's has those organically magical performances that are kind of like lightning in a bottle. Usually they're not the ones that have been hyped for weeks to get everyone to tune in, either.

I like Madonna's music and I hated that "performance". I just can't tolerate lip syncing. So many lead singers do plenty of running around on stage and are still able to sing. Steven Tyler, Axl Rose, Joe Elliot, Jon Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger. If you can't put on a good show and sing at the same time, that doesn't say a lot about your ability as a musician.

Fair enough, although to my knowledge, Vogue has never been performed live in full. But Madonna can certainly sing live and has done so many times. I’m not sure why she chose to lip synch this particular performance but I also like a theatrical performance so I’m a fan of how she chose to present it.

Steven Tyler to this day still has amazing vocal ability although not what it was in the past....Axl is...well, ok but his rasp is very on and off. Love them both though. Not to get off topic but I’m a big fan of both Aerosmith and Guns N Roses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter