Top of the world lounge at bay lake tower

Commercial space and it's likely part of the operating agreement with Food & Beverage that access is limited to DVC members.
Which makes sense as they would close it for special events outside of DVC.

This sounds like classic Disney.

Disney “We can’t open it because we don’t have enough staff to work at TOTW.”

DVC Solution: “How about us DVC members pay for staff.”

Disney: “No, we want to do what we want with the area and rent it out to the highest bidder.”

DVC Members: “Wait, I thought it was about staffing?!?”

I wish they'd reopen it. We're staying at BLT in late June. They could just have some basic items, do beer/wine/hard cider/sodas. Quick cold apps that are already prepped, etc. Chips/salsa, crudites, cheese plate, and 7 layer cake, lol.

I'm really surprised that they're not even using that space for upcharge events like the painting classes.

Commercial space and it's likely part of the operating agreement with Food & Beverage that access is limited to DVC members.

When I inquired, I was told that the decision on who can access is up to Disney and while it was currently limited to just DVC owners, it could be used for something totally different if they chose to change its use.

Obviously, no one knows for sure, but they certainly made it seen as those the contract was flexible enough that it doesn’t have to stay an exclusive spot for just DVC.

This sounds like classic Disney.

Disney “We can’t open it because we don’t have enough staff to work at TOTW.”

DVC Solution: “How about us DVC members pay for staff.”

Disney: “No, we want to do what we want with the area and rent it out to the highest bidder.”

DVC Members: “Wait, I thought it was about staffing?!?”

The labor pool is the same. For all intents and purposes, DVC resort staff is sub-contracted from Parks & Resorts. The same pay scales and union agreements apply.

The labor issue is (hopefully) more of a shorter term problem. I doubt Disney will make any decisions regarding the space based upon staffing alone. Jiko and Flying Fish just recently reopened after being closed nearly 2 years. Over that span, Disney didn't elect to sell the space to a third party restauranteur just to wash their hands of the staffing issue. Longer terms goals would have to come into play.

Also wondering if DVC is considering offering the 3rd & 4th of July for-fee event at the CR ballroom.

finger’s still crossed for HDD to fire back up same time period

Over the years TOTWL has become one of our favorite spots. We have my birthday stay coming up in early June, I really hope they manage to open by then. Just more magic Disney has taken away. :sad2:

one of our favorite spots but let's be real, until they can fully staff f&B in the parks, this will be the very last thing they open.

I'm guessing it's still closed related to staffing. Disney has limited ability to hire staff at the moment due to labor shortages. And BLT lounge probably didn't generate that much revenue, per employee. Better to put them in more high-traffic areas.

My assumption was that DVC would fund it as a member perk. But that's a very reasonable point.
DVC perks are becoming far and few between. They keep raising prices and keep taking away benefits. Except for certain times of the year, plan on things being closed and cost more. Expect Chapek to keep hosing DVC members.

We have our second DVC trip coming this September. I was really hoping to visit this lounge I've heard so much about.

Just got a DVC Member Insider email this morning and it said....

The reimagined Top of the World Lounge will reopen soon for Members and their Guests! Perched atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, this one-of-a-kind space boasts can't-miss views of Magic Kingdom® Park. Stay tuned for more details.

Hoping soon really means SOON!

Just got a DVC Member Insider email this morning and it said....

The reimagined Top of the World Lounge will reopen soon for Members and their Guests! Perched atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, this one-of-a-kind space boasts can't-miss views of Magic Kingdom® Park. Stay tuned for more details.

Hoping soon really means SOON!
Was just coming here to post but you beat me to it! So happy!:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter