Topolino - table for two

sdedalus

Earning My Ears
On some prior trips, I have been unable to get a table for two at Toppling for dinner. On our last trip, I tried right at the 60 day window & I got a table, but our friend was joining us, so it was a table for 3. Today, one day after the start of our 60 day dining window, I was unable to get a table for 2, until 9:20 PM. On a whim, I tried for a table for 3 and had many choices available. I find this frustrating/confusing. My first instinct was to book for 3 & attempt to modify to 2 at a later date, I don't like lying. I thought about the 2 of us just showing up, but I am unsure about the policy of charging a no-show fee. Since we are staying at Riviera, so I thought about calling for the concierge and asking for help, pointing out that the Skyliner is "down" for our trip, causing some inconvenience. Any thoughts?

Book the table for 3 and don’t worry about it. The ADR booking system is well known for such glitches. When you search for a party of 2, it probably sees that table for 3 or 4 but won’t give it to you because it’s saving it for a party of 3/4. After you book for 3 you can modify to 2 later, or when you check in just tell the CM (or MDE app) there’s only 2 of you. There’s no penalty for showing up with fewer people than booked (except possibly for certain packages like fireworks viewing, which isn’t the case at Topolino’s).

OP, you are WAY over thinking this. You can’t call the hotel so save yourself the pain of trying. Book however many people will get you the time you want, check in on the app and drop the number to what you have. Even if the app is down just say “but we’re only going to be X people” and they won’t care. The app is also sometimes allowing rebooking at a lower party number like it used to years ago. Book for the larger party then modify down and see if your time pops up!

It's not a "glitch," it's "yield management."

There is a real glitch, though. If you book for three and try to modify using the website, it won't work. But if you modify using the app, it will let you drop the extra people and conform a reservation for two.
I agree it’s programmed in. It’s just sad that the program works that way. I wonder how many parties of two have not dined at Topolino’s (or other Disney restaurants) simply because they didn’t know about it. And are all those tables for 3/4 eventually filled with 3 or 4 guests?

I agree it’s programmed in. It’s just sad that the program works that way. I wonder how many parties of two have not dined at Topolino’s (or other Disney restaurants) simply because they didn’t know about it. And are all those tables for 3/4 eventually filled with 3 or 4 guests?

Nope, they’re not. We’re usually a party of 2. I’ve been playing the “book for 4“ game for years. We’ve been seated at a table for 4 even when we had an ADR for 2. And I’ve seen plenty of other parties of 2 seated at 4 tops too.

Does anyone know if the book for "4" at Cinderella's Royal Table will work for a party of "2" and then call Disney Dining to refund? I am having a hard time finding a table for 2 but have found a table for 4. Thanks for any insight!

I always book for 2, though it is usually just me. Many locations won't show any availability for one.
Yes, I do the same thing for the same reason. Never had a problem. When I show up, they don't ask for the reason why there's one instead of two.

Does anyone know if the book for "4" at Cinderella's Royal Table will work for a party of "2" and then call Disney Dining to refund? I am having a hard time finding a table for 2 but have found a table for 4. Thanks for any insight!
Yes, you can book for four and show up with two. Hopefully they will modify over the phone so you get your refund ASAP, but if not they will adjust the bill when you actually eat there.

My daughter, who goes solo quite often, has booked for 2 on occasion when it was only her. Although the restaurants had no problem seating her, she has gotten comments and attitudes from some of the servers about her being the only one.

Does anyone know if the book for "4" at Cinderella's Royal Table will work for a party of "2" and then call Disney Dining to refund? I am having a hard time finding a table for 2 but have found a table for 4.
another idea book for 4 but make 2 of ressies for under 2. easy to change when you get there

My daughter, who goes solo quite often, has booked for 2 on occasion when it was only her. Although the restaurants had no problem seating her, she has gotten comments and attitudes from some of the servers about her being the only one.

Thats a terrible server & probably gives every party of 1 an attitude. I doubt the server knows how many people you booked for, they just get the slip that’s printed after you check in. I don’t think there’s any way for them to know how many were originally on the reservation. We go 2-5 times a year & have a table service meal at least once a day, sometimes twice. I often book for 4 & then we’re only 2. I’ve never had a server comment on that ever.

Not saying it didn’t happen but…

I’ve been dining solo at WDW for years, sometimes booked for 2, and never gotten any comment. If anyone is contemplating dining as a solo, this is the very last thing I would want them to worry about.

If something was said to your daughter, I certainly hope she spoke to someone. This is not typical Disney behavior.

No, she didn't say anything to the management although I think she should have. And the server did somehow know that the ADR was for 2 people because that was what the comment was about. He literally said "I thought there were supposed to be 2 people at this table". Then he pretty much ignored her the rest of the evening. She told me at which restaurant this occurred but I can't remember. I'll ask her the next time I see her.

I was able to modify my initial reservation from 3 guests to 2. Unfortunately, I had to change the date. So I booked a table for 3 on new date & when I try to modify it to 2 guests, I get a "maybe its her-hei"... Claim they are working on problem. Any thoughts?
Trip is in January, so I have some time, but I'd like to get this straightened out.

I was able to modify my initial reservation from 3 guests to 2. Unfortunately, I had to change the date. So I booked a table for 3 on new date & when I try to modify it to 2 guests, I get a "maybe its her-hei"... Claim they are working on problem. Any thoughts?
Trip is in January, so I have some time, but I'd like to get this straightened out.
Just keep it. You can keep trying to modify or just let them know when you check in (on the app or in person).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter