• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Torn Rotator Cuff?

No experience, @Skywalker, no advice. But with my knee replacement some years back, the follow up PT was very necessary to a good outcome. My best wishes for you, with a speedy, complete recovery.

I may be joining the TRC Club-got an AM appointment to diagnose my shoulder issues.

Sure hope PT without Surgery will take care of it.

The Surgery and Recovery sound about as much fun as being stuck on iasw for hours..

I wonder if people ever regret getting the Surgery.

Not me, but my DH had a torn rotator cuff/surgery. It was a long recovery process with lots of PT. Just a word about imaging—- they ended up having to do an MRI with contrast to diagnose/ the damage wasn’t apparent with other imaging (can’t remember if he had an X-ray and CT or ultrasound or all three before the MRI).

Reactions: NAB
I’m so sorry for all the DISers with shoulder pain. I hope you get the help you need to ease the pain. I know it can be horrible.

I’ve been relatively pain-free for several years—I’m so careful how I stretch and exercise that crazy, complicated joint, because I really don’t want to experience that pain again.

I realize this sounds absurd but anyone suffering with shoulder pain should be checking their b12 levels. And getting the exact number, not relying on doctor's response of ' it is fine'.

Pernicious Anemia/b12 deficiency can affect every aspect of the body & shoulder pain is one aspect (as is degeneration of thr upper spine as it becomes more serious when left undiagnosed).

Before my deficiency was found I had excruciating shoulder pain for over a year. If I picked up anything on that one side, the pain would be tear-inducing. And it gravely impacted my cycling.

It all disappeared with loading doses of b12 injections, needed for pernicious anemia. And has never returned. As did more than 80% of the thirty-plus symptoms that I had had for years, that are documented b12 deficiency issues.

Obviously not everyone's shoulder pain is a deficiency, but it 100% can be the issue at hand.

I slipped on black ice last winter in a retail lot myself and had to get a shot in my rotator cuff. It’s hurting again. And the retailer ghosted me early on and has not paid any of the medical bills. 😬

I need a reverse shoulder replacement, but I keep putting it off. I am not in pain. Has that been given as an option for you? I am getting by with limited use of my arm. I do keep up with the exercises I was given to keep the muscles I have.

I have had 3 shoulder surgeries - 2 on my dominant side and 1 on my non-dominant, all due to multiple sports injuries and dislocations (water polo and skiing), For mine, 360 degree labral tears and HAGL lesion (not all at the same time) I wore a sling the first few days after the injury and any time I would be in a position where my arm might get bumped.

The very first injury, I couldn't do any motions with my hand behind my head (ie throw a ball overhand) even after a month or so of PT that strengthened the muscles so they'd be able to keep my shoulder "in joint" better.
Had surgery, had a month of complete immobilization after surgery, then months of PT.

The 3rd injury was about 10 years after the 1st 2 had been fixed, I knew what needed to be done, had surgery in October and was swimming and back to playing water polo the following June. That was about the shortest possible timeline - started PT 3x/week in November and slowly ramped down to 1x/week to none.

As for post-op - For the open repairs (big scars) I was on percocet for less than a week where I self-tapered in that week, and then was on motrin/tylenol after that. There was pain, but it was tolerable. I have a desk/office job so I was out for a long weekend and then back to work. For the arthroscopic surgery (1st one) I was on the opioid painkillers for 3 days and then stopped. It hurt, but I was so afraid of getting hooked that I took the least amount possible.

Also: the first 24 hours after surgery, if not managed well, hurts worse than childbirth.

No but I am starting week 7 of pt for shoulder impingement, I am not improving as fast as I thought aside from the relief I received from a steroid shot 5 weeks ago. I cannot get an MRI approved so we are going off of an xray that showed "nothing". So the assumption for now until I complete 4 more weeks of pt is that this is bursitis. My main source of pain relief is lidocaine patches but please know Salonpas patches are 4% lidocaine vs only 5% for prescription patches so if you don't have a script just pick some up!

At one point I couldn't even pull my pants up let alone reach around to fasten my stinking bra. I can do all of that now, I have range of motion without pain back but the weakness is unbelievable, the pain at night is awful sometimes and my shoulder keeps semi dislocating during some movements which can't be normal... :rotfl2:
I see my PT as a free personal trainer. If I could I would go every week (insurance changed so max 25 visits a year). I do have a copay of $15, but way cheaper than a massage.

DH fell in March '23 and tore his biceps tendon. Of course he wouldn't go see the doctor. He fell on ice 3 weeks later and was in enough pain to go. He was diagnosed with a torn biceps tendon and a small, partial tear (< 1.5cm) of the rotator cuff. He did 4 months of PT with great success, but the doc didn't like something so ordered a second MRI. Long story short, although he'd had success with the PT (increased ROM, no pain) he ended up with a large (>4cm), full tear of the rotator cuff. He had surgery 6 weeks ago. She hadn't expected it, but he had enough healthy tissue that she could repair the tear and he's been in an immobilizer ever since. He does minor PT every day (not for the shoulder, but to keep his hands/wrist/elbow flexible) and has been sleeping in a recliner; it's easier than trying to prop the arm/immobilizer while he is sleeping. He sees the surgeon Friday (with xrays/MRI). Hopefully there'll be enough healing that he can get out of the immobilizer, go to PT, and start driving again.

I realize this sounds absurd but anyone suffering with shoulder pain should be checking their b12 levels. And getting the exact number, not relying on doctor's response of ' it is fine'.

Pernicious Anemia/b12 deficiency can affect every aspect of the body & shoulder pain is one aspect (as is degeneration of thr upper spine as it becomes more serious when left undiagnosed).

Before my deficiency was found I had excruciating shoulder pain for over a year. If I picked up anything on that one side, the pain would be tear-inducing. And it gravely impacted my cycling.

It all disappeared with loading doses of b12 injections, needed for pernicious anemia. And has never returned. As did more than 80% of the thirty-plus symptoms that I had had for years, that are documented b12 deficiency issues.

Obviously not everyone's shoulder pain is a deficiency, but it 100% can be the issue at hand.
I do take MethylB12 or Alpha base with iron multi vitamin (I am anemic ferritin dropped from 122 (2020) to 15; normal hemoglobin). Could be gallstones. GP unwilling to do an ultrasound (kidneys started leaking protein still no ultrasound but GP was quick to prescribe lisinopril).

Anyone taking Metformin should also take extra B12 (Metformin depletes it). Liquid IV+c (available at Costco) helped with hydration and decades long muscle cramps (electrolyte imbalance). Our water is depleted of chromium and magnesium.

I see my PT as a free personal trainer. If I could I would go every week (insurance changed so max 25 visits a year). I do have a copay of $15, but way cheaper than a massage.

It certainly is a workout. There was a new guy there for some inner ear and eye thing yesterday and we left together. He said I am so sorry for being sweaty but who knew moving your eyeballs around would be this hard. I started laughing because every single person that starts, me included, is astounded at how much some of us sweat when it's not cardio "just stretching" but really it's very specific muscle workouts, it's so hard and you really have to focus on what you are doing :rotfl2:

It certainly is a workout. There was a new guy there for some inner ear and eye thing yesterday and we left together. He said I am so sorry for being sweaty but who knew moving your eyeballs around would be this hard. I started laughing because every single person that starts, me included, is astounded at how much some of us sweat when it's not cardio "just stretching" but really it's very specific muscle workouts, it's so hard and you really have to focus on what you are doing :rotfl2:
My PT specializes in sports injuries and my exercises are actually pretty intense - like the 40 lb scapular retractions, walk outs (15-20 lbs sideways), kick backs on a leg press machine (with knees bent), shoulder internal and external rotations (while knees bent but not completely squatting), crazy 6 on a roller and the bodyblade

I do remember initially when I started it was extremely painful to squeeze shoulder blades with a 1 lb weight in each hand (face down).

6 foam roller exercises (all 1 min except the pac stretch 2 mins): punches, side stretches, chin tucks, shoulder squeezes, marches with a pelvic tilt and pac stretch

Bob and Brad have some good videos on YouTube but I truly believe a PT has to personalize treatment and exercises to what you need and works for your injury.

Last edited:
Never had the pain of a rotor cuff injury but have noticed that raglan and dolman sleeved articles of clothing are easier to put on and remove when you’ve mobility issues. Feel better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter